XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

18" & 19" alloys and runflats

Before I brought my X1 I was unable to find out what the ride would be like with sports suspension and 18" rims fitted with runflats, versus the normal set up. It's quite subjective and in my opinion depends what you're used to driving, and who you speak to.

I've noticed that this issue keeps being raised in various posts so this may help:

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to have owned and driven some interesting cars. I've owned my X1 for just over two and a half years now with no problems experienced, and that's even with it being converted from xline SE to M Sport specification. All the work has been carried out by BMW (details on my post: Not for the squeamish).

The best handling car that I've experienced (my benchmark) was the actual WRC winning Subaru which felt glued to the ground and ran on rails. I was driven round a race track during a private practice session for several laps, and still am amazed at how it felt .

Then my Porsche Boxster 987 Sport Edition which was 10 mm lower than the standard car also drove and cornered on rails. It's ride was hard and you had to avoid potholes etc, but the handling was superb. I sold this car to purchase my X1 so was able to compare its handling and the X1'back to back' on the same roads. The X1 ride quality is better than the Porsche for everyday use (on sports suspension, 18" rims, and runflats), and the cornering is almost as good as the Porsche if driven in sports mode

The X1 was fitted from new with 18" BMW type 323 alloys, Good Year Efficient Run Flats, and sports suspension which is 10 mm lower than the standard springs:

F 225/45R 18 91V
R 255/40R 18 95 V

I've just changed my wheels and tyres to BMW Performance 19" type 324 Ferrick Grey V Spoke alloys fitted with Pirelli PZero Run Flats:

F 225/40R 19 89 W
R 255/35R 19 96W

In my opinion Driving the same car on the same roads the ride quality 'feels' no different between the 18" and 19" alloys, and I think that the Pirelli's are possibly smoother and produce less road noise.

Hartge have a spring conversion set that lowers the height by 30 mm from standard, and I'm currently considering this modification, but I'm not sure the car needs it as the handling is already very good, and the ground clearance really helps on 'iffy' road surfaces and in snow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mulberry; 03-20-2014 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I think the staggered tires are not that good, traction is sufficient with the 225 tires and the X1 understeers at it's limits. So putting wider tires let is even understeer faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
I think the staggered tires are not that good, traction is sufficient with the 225 tires and the X1 understeers at it's limits. So putting wider tires let is even understeer faster.
I've never driven my X1 at the limit or anywhere close to it, nor do I intend to. That was never my intention in buying the car. It was always going to be my 'day car' so driving traits at or close to 'the limit' are somewhat academic.

Before I purchased the car I thought about how I use a car, what for and over what distance, what elements of a car/driving I liked, what type of roads it would be used on, and how many people it would carry (most of the time), and the X1 was a close fit against my requirements.

What I hoped to achieve was a sensible compromise between power, handling and practicality, and this I've now got.

Last edited by Mulberry; 03-20-2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Four years ownership, and runflats

My car is coming up to four years old and I'm finding it very difficult to decide what to purchase next as it has been a trouble free four years of car ownership. I'm going to look at the Porsche Macan in a few weeks time, and BMW are convinced that I would like the new electric hybrid, I'm not at all sure but will try to keep an open mind. At present it looks like another year of ownership of the X1 is on the cards.

Regarding the runflats I've never been 100% sure how I feel about not having a spare wheel, tyre, and jack. Now I'm a little clearer, two weeks ago the tyre pressure monitoring system informed me I had lost pressure in a tyre. The road I was driving had no safe stopping places and I had no alternative but to continue driving. Even with a conventional spare tyre I would not have been able to stop and change it.

The nearest tyre centre was six miles away and I got there with no problems. The rear nearside tyre had a large nail in it. It was removed, the hole plugged and within a short time I was on my way again having spent £17 on the repair Had the tyre needed changing it would have cost £270 plus a wait of a day as the tyre centre didn't carry them in stock........
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
tpm17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35i

Does anyone know if the 135is style 313 wheels will fit an X1?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm17 View Post
Does anyone know if the 135is style 313 wheels will fit an X1?
Not well. They're a half inch narrower f/r than the normal X1 staggered wheels and the offset is 19mm more in the front and 11mm in the rear.
Appreciate 0