XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #23
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Thanks Lynn for the kind words! I think you'll be very pleased with your 228, that's a very sharp car. I have my eyes on an m235i myself when it come time to replace my daily in a bit less than a year. And you can get Valencia too!

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

second this! I bought my M235i through David Padgalskas at BMW Portland as well. Every word of the OP was true. I'd buy from him again next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #25
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Now Coded

I had Alex at Alpine Motorsports code my car remotely, and it is awesome. Read my full review here: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012592

I had these changes made:
• Unlock doors when engine is turned off
• Removal of iDrive Disclaimer Message
• Removal of Amber Headlight Sidemarkers
• Digital Speed Display
• Real time MPG in gauge cluster
• Set sunroof to close when rain is detected
• Enable DVDinMotion
• Disable iDrive Camera disclaimer
• Fold in Mirrors immediately when doors are locked

Highly recommend having it done.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

First Mini Road Trip

So, we finally found a small window to make a day-trip out to the Oregon coast and got the first real test of both highway fuel efficiency and performance in a ton of twisties. We were very pleased with both.

Averaged 31.7mpg over 186 miles with an average speed of 47.5mph. This was very good considering the conditions: spirited driving when it was possible, also decent chunks of congestion, some rain, and lots of twisties, meaning lots more deceleration and acceleration than you'd have if you were driving on the freeway. And three people plus some gear in the car. Very pleased with the MPG. No Eco-Pro (never!) and not driving for MPG but for pleasure.

Also, discovered a good stretch of road for some seriously fun driving: https://goo.gl/maps/Zk7xm , a section of Oregon State Highway 22 after it splits with OR-18 and before it meets up with Hwy 101. It gets you through the coastal mountain range through the Siuslaw National Forest and is just beautiful with roadside creeks and dense forest on all sides. The road is in excellent shape, no potholes or rough sections, tons of turns in both directions at a variety of angles, and for a good part of it we weren't hindered by traffic. Highly recommended if you are ever out this way. The car handled it very well, always felt fully planted and was practically begging for me to push it more, but sadly it was unable to convince the wife that I should do so.

3+ months in and we're absolutely loving this car. Perfectly suited for our needs and has delivered on every promise so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by scottomfg; 07-26-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #27
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

One Year Review Update

We just completed a 2,500 mile roadtrip, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to update my review, and share some observations after a year of ownership.

A year in, and we still absolutely love this car. Love the size, the color, the performance, the efficiency, the utility. As mentioned earlier, this car is perfectly-sized for our family, which means while it isn't too small, there also isn't a ton of extra room. In my wive's daily driving and in it's duty as the family weekend car, the space has been great, never an issue—but I must admit I was a little concerned as we planned our trip up and down the west coast over ten days. We had the three of us, all our stuff, as well as a display and several boxes I needed to bring along to set up and run a booth at a convention (for one day of the trip).

It turned out that my concerns were groundless. While certainly packed very full, there was still plenty of room for all of us and all the gear. We left the cargo covers at home and put the center and driver-side backseats down. The most crowded configuration was when my wife was driving and I was in passenger seat, with my 3.5 year-old son in his full car seat behind me. I'm 6'2" and my son is a legit giant, already 3'8", and even for four hours at a time there was enough room for both of us to be comfortable. Now, there wasn't more than an inch of *extra* room, and it wasn't like I was able to cross my legs, but it was totally adequate.

We haven't had a single issue with the car in the first year, and the N20 2-liter engine continues to impress me with both it's healthy power and smooth delivery as well as it's reasonable efficiency. In regular use, mostly shorts trips of 5 miles or less, we average around 19-20mpg, which is pretty good considering half those miles are from an engine that hasn't really warmed up yet. On our trip, in a car really loaded down, we averaged 29-30mpg on the highway, which was fantastic. (Never used Eco-Pro, no plans to.)

Due to a sick and vomiting toddler we had a few instances of having to pull over to the side of the highway, and thereafter do a hard acceleration to reenter and when you hit the kickdown in this car, it can surprise you with how much oomph it has. Sure it's not as powerful as the 3 liter, but it definitely has some guts when you need them.

Overall, we're pleased with our decision and I still think this was the best car for us to buy at the time. I wish it had the same nav/stereo system as my M235i which is considerably improved, particularly with it's bluetooth phone integration, but the x1 system is good enough to get through another couple years. If that's my only complaint, then you know how much we're enjoying this car.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #28
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Thanks so much for the great purchase review and the 1 year update!

I have a 2013 Valencia Orange 35i X Line and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #29
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Nice car and really nice color. We don't see it in Switzerland. I regret sometimes I didn't go for that color, it would have made my car really unique around here
      05-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
OmegaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M6 V10 Manual

Whose that girl?.....

We purchased a used 2014 28i X1 to replace a FJ Cruiser which ultimately the step daughter would use to be her daily driver.*

The 28i IMHO is the best price/performance due to the turbo option on the car achieving a smooth 240 Hp. What the naysayers forget is that going to the 35i adds roughly 160 pounds and having 240 horses (here in Denver the turbo charging means we don't lose 20% of those ponies due to altitude) with that weight is a excellent drive.

We added a hitch to it to allow for my mountain bike and purchased the rack assembly to put on skis.

I love taking it skiing with my two daughters when the roads are bad. Unfortunately I didn't get one with the navigation package or Harman Kardon sound package which you got.

I have nothing but kudo's for the car and steal it from the step daughter when I can...ultimately I will buy an X1 as a daily driver/mtn biking/skiing car for myself after selling the 12 Grand Caravan R/T (Ferrari of mini vans).

You made a good purchase for all the right reasons.

* I considered it prudent for her to drive instead of the FJ due to almost rolling over in the FJ as she unexpectedly did a quickie U-turn and scared the crap out of me.
Appreciate 0