10-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Front Bumper covers superseded?

I have a 2013 X1 X Line.

So a month ago I was driving and tree fell down in front of me and I hit it. Call the insurance company and take it to the body shop.

I'm told that they are having an issue with the bumper cover and the part number has been superseded. The bumper cover for my car is no longer available in the US. Three different dealers tell them this.

The put the car together and I go ans look at it today and the look is very different and I don't like it. What are the options?

Here's what it looked like before:

And here's what it looks like now. I am not thrilled.

The body shop is being as helpful as it can, but I'm not sure where to go with this. Any Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

As a fellow driver of a 2013 X-line, I share your concern. Based on a quick trip over to RealOem.com, it appears they're telling you the truth. What's interesting is, it looks like BMW has back-dated this part to the pre-facelift version, which was never sold in the US as far as I know.

Here are the pertinent RealOEM pages:
Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_7465

Trim: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_7466

However, it's worth noting that your repair shop doesn't appear to have ordered the correct parts - those look like Sportline parts. You should have the chrome grill and the chrome accent stripe and the silver bottom lip, like this 2010 X-line. http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...-2_1600x0w.jpg Although it's not "the same", it's a better fit for the X-line package.

I assume BMW did this to cut down on the number of repair parts they have to keep in stock, now that this model is discontinued. Unfortunate, especially since a single broken piece now requires the replacement of ALL the various grille bits.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your reply. It's unfortunate that they are doing this. I really liked the front end the other way.

It appears that I now own a car that I would not have purchased if that front end was on it when I bought it. It looks like it took all of the character out of it.

Katy Perry went to the body shop and Joan Rivers came out.

As far as the trim piece on the bottom goes, I asked them to paint it orange before I even knew what the new bumper looked like.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Not sure if it's an option but have you considered ordering the part from Europe? Try and get the body shop to reach out to BMW AG or do it yourself.

I know that BMW North America isn't always helpful but when issues reach BMW AG they get things done. At least that's been my experience
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

Don't know what issue BMW was having... My '14 XLine was the same as yours was...

And I am going to this, the 2015 XLine front. Had to order the lower silver lip, and the black plastic trim where the parking sensors are

Unless it's the actual painted part that they can't get ahold of... resulting in the need to order the different black trim and lower trims.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks E30_Crazy.

When did you have that done and do you have the part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Not sure if these will help if you want to swap out with something like these:

http://mandmautosalvage.hollanderapp...30579&number=1

http://mandmautosalvage.hollanderapp...30578&number=2
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_Crazy View Post
Unless it's the actual painted part that they can't get ahold of... resulting in the need to order the different black trim and lower trims.
That's exactly the issue. If you look on RealOEM (see links in Post #2), you'll see that only the Pre-2013 and the M-sport bumpers are still available.

If I were in the OP's situation, I'd be talking to a salvage yard, looking for a clean bumper off a car that was rear-ended.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

So here is how this went. I ended up taking the car as is. I called around for some front bumper pieces and there were none to be had.

The ones that BeEmVe posted were great items, but they would only sell the entire front clip.

Here's what it ended up looking like. Since I have been systematically getting rid of the silver trim it actually works for me.

Now the roof rails are next.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Man, that's, uh, unfortunate. Glad ours was totaled, I would have probably set it on fire if that was the fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoul View Post
So here is how this went. I ended up taking the car as is. I called around for some front bumper pieces and there were none to be had.

The ones that BeEmVe posted were great items, but they would only sell the entire front clip.

Here's what it ended up looking like. Since I have been systematically getting rid of the silver trim it actually works for me.

Now the roof rails are next.

Did you have Silver Sections on the side? Not sure but I thought the X Line did.
My Original Set Up is the same style as your new look, with the following comments.
Your bottom orange section, was that the color when you got it?
Mine was Silver and my bottom back section was also Silver. Bottom sides, all black.
I can sprayed the front and rear silver sections Matt Black while on the car. Am pleased with how it looks. Sorry I cant do Photos am waiting on my son to come home from Uni. to show me how.

Long time back I saw a car that painted the Black Wheel Arch Sections down to the top of the bottom black sections, the same color as the car, like your bottom Orange section matching your car.
Looked good to me also because all the black was inline along the bottom.

My Roof Rails are black and am also thinking about taking off.

Good luck with transforming your new look. Keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
Did you have Silver Sections on the side? Not sure but I thought the X Line did.
My Original Set Up is the same style as your new look, with the following comments.
Your bottom orange section, was that the color when you got it?
Mine was Silver and my bottom back section was also Silver. Bottom sides, all black.
I can sprayed the front and rear silver sections Matt Black while on the car. Am pleased with how it looks. Sorry I cant do Photos am waiting on my son to come home from Uni. to show me how.

Long time back I saw a car that painted the Black Wheel Arch Sections down to the top of the bottom black sections, the same color as the car, like your bottom Orange section matching your car.
Looked good to me also because all the black was inline along the bottom.

My Roof Rails are black and am also thinking about taking off.

Good luck with transforming your new look. Keep us informed.
I did have silver sections like any other X Line would, I just didn't like the silver at all. I traded the panels with a member here.

The orange piece on the bottom of the bumper was originally silver, but I had the body shop paint it to match.

I don't know how much of a job it is to take off the roof rails yet. I figure I'll find out soon enough.

So why did I buy the X-Line when I didn't like the silver bits? Two reasons - 1. It's loaded with every option possible since it was a BMW exec car, and 2. It was priced like a base line model. So I make it work.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoul View Post
I don't know how much of a job it is to take off the roof rails yet. I figure I'll find out soon enough.

So why did I buy the X-Line when I didn't like the silver bits? Two reasons - 1. It's loaded with every option possible since it was a BMW exec car, and 2. It was priced like a base line model. So I make it work.
Sorry it took so long to see your question, but it looks like it was already answered. Without the post-2013 painted section, the lower trim and lip won't fit from any later version of XLine.

Have a look around, I've seen a writeup here or some other site about the X1 roof rail delete being a PITA to keep from leaking.

The only reason I even have an XLine is similar to you; Every MSport on the lot was an x28i, and the only 35i period was the show floor XLine, loaded. Was also the manager's special, making it even more affordable than the MSports sitting outside with several test-drive miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Man, I think it looks sportier with that big wide mouth.
Appreciate 0