XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

FLAC or ALAC files?

Does anyone know if the business nav can play Flac or ALAC files via the USB or will it only play MP3 encoded files?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

It will not play FLAC or ALAC. Annoying because I had to go and convert all my files over to MP3 for the car. Now I have to maintain two file libraries. I believe the only way to play lossless is by connecting a device to the car through either the USB or input jack. That way the device is doing the D/A conversion and you are bypassing the limited BMW provided D/A.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
It will not play FLAC or ALAC. Annoying because I had to go and convert all my files over to MP3 for the car. Now I have to maintain two file libraries. I believe the only way to play lossless is by connecting a device to the car through either the USB or input jack. That way the device is doing the D/A conversion and you are bypassing the limited BMW provided D/A.
Thanks for that. Shame as I'll need to convert my files and keep 2 libraries. Did you convert yours to 320kbps MP3's or a lower bitrate?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Don't remember but probably did the highest sample rate I could. I just batch processed them through XLD- I'm on a Mac.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
briar08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28i SDrive

Media Monkey works well for batch conversion on Windows machines. I converted my FLACs to 320 mp3s. They work fine. Dump them all into one directory and you can then do a random play across all of your music.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar08 View Post
Media Monkey works well for batch conversion on Windows machines. I converted my FLACs to 320 mp3s. They work fine. Dump them all into one directory and you can then do a random play across all of your music.

If you separate the tracks into separate folders will they show as albums?

The reason I ask is I don't have my X1 yet but it has been shipped from the factory and I'm hoping to pick it up the week after next so want to get my USB stick ready!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
If you separate the tracks into separate folders will they show as albums?
No, the albums are based on the Album tag set in the ID3v1 header of the file.

You may still want to put them in subfolders like "A-F", "G-M", "N-S", "T-Z" because "browse by folder structure" is easier when you have a lot of songs.
It takes a couple of seconds to browse to "N-S" then "Pink Floyd", then "Wish You Were Here" than to scroll past 500 albums to get to the ones that start with W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
The reason I ask is I don't have my X1 yet but it has been shipped from the factory and I'm hoping to pick it up the week after next so want to get my USB stick ready!
Make sure the stick is formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 with 4k clusters or less (the default unless you have a really huge memory stick) - it won't understand NTFS, ExFAT or big cluster sizes.
Also, be sure you either use all English characters everywhere, or convert file and folder names like "Motörhead" to CP850 - the BMW software doesn't handle Unicode in filenames gracefully.

Last edited by Grovsnus; 03-02-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Grovsnus, very useful info....
Appreciate 0