XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
X135iM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i Msport

X1 35i w/ Alpina trans software flash

Did some searching on here for anyone with an Alpina tune on the 35i trans, and saw some guys with 335's etc with them but no one with an x1. I got it done a little over a month ago, and it definitely made a difference. I also have the JB4, so that enhances it as well, and if you search for Alpina tune on 335's etc they will generally give you similar reviews ...

You obtain gear number info on the dash (D1 D2 D3, etc)

Drive mode generally keeps very low upshifts on easy throttle (even lower than non tuned trans) a little more aggressive on heavy throttle, fuel economy and comfort oriented.

DS - upshifts are much later especially 2nd to 3rd, shifts are quicker and more aggressive, kickdowns come with less throttle, 6th gear is unused under 70MPH, gears are held under sudden and quick throttle, downshifts quickly under sudden braking, and in corners. (so, similar to normal DS, just more aggressive in all aspects)

Manual mode - shift as you like - like a "race" mode, shifts are HARD, especially under heavy throttle. "knocks" you into the next year. NO lag between shifts. Rev matches downshifts. Shifting manually with light throttle will sometimes generate an uncomfortable shift.

It is a little harsh at times, but if you can deal with it and you typically drive aggressively, you would probably like the tune. If you generally drive easily, this may not suit you that well.

Just my own personal experience. Hope it helps anyone looking into it.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

There's another version of the alpina flash that takes care of the D mode. Look at the e90 coding subforum.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I have had the Alpina flash for about 9 months and it does add nice features and quicker shifts on DS and manual. I would 100% have it loaded if you have the N55. The drive mode and then sport mode almost make the car drive like 2 different cars, mellow for daily driving and then hopped up when you want to play. .
Again as mentioned by so many people, the regular drive mode shifts are very early and at low rpms. The torque in the motor makes it tolerable for putting around town and daily driving. You can always flick a downshift with a paddle if needed to grab a lower gear while in drive mode. I have been reading about the new version that supposedly fixes the low rpm shifts, but you lose gear indicator.

Another nice item to buy is the Burger Tuning downshift blocker for only $10, it prevents automatic downshifts when under full throttle in manual mode. Great for 2nd gear roll ons and it stays in 2nd, doesnt kick to 1st. When you fully depress the pedal you hit the downshift button... this small piece of plastic just blocks the pedal from contacting the downshift trigger. pretty cool for only $10!
http://www.burgertuning.com/downshift_blocker_BMW.html

I use http://bimmerscoding.com/ for my remote coding and he is just awesome. I'd highly recommend him for any live or remote coding, he keeps all software on your pc and is very flexible for appts to log in and make changes. This dude is fast and knows his stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The N20 cars must have a different pedal because my full throttle and kick down throttle positions are so easily identifiable. I really have to push to go from full to kick down. I wonder if Alpina is going to do anything for the 8 speeds sluggish take off though. I almost think I should have bought the 35i and gone with the Alpina flash for the trans, because it was the transmission which kept me from buying the car.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I have never driven the 8 speed auto, but the 6 speed is absolutely fine and seems responsive and trouble free to me. The rev matching of the Alpina flash on downshifts works very well and the Sport mode does a great job of being in the right gear at the right time.
I do wish it had a launch control option, that would be cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
X135iM
Enlisted Member
Rep

I like the kickdown idea. With the JB4 (and prob without) you need to shift just before 6k to keep in great powerband, and in a pinch, with full acceleration trying to upshift while in kickdown mode you forget .. try to paddle upshift and fail b/c your foot is too far .. lol. Oh the joy ... and as far as quick upshifts I like it when driving easily or wanting to save gas. So I will probably keep it that way. But that is good to know there is an update!!

Nice info guys. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Love love love the Alpina flash. I use manual mode all the time except when my GF wants to hold my hand. It is fun as hell when coupled with JB4. Coming from only manual transmissions, I cannot believe how much I love my X1.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
X135iM
Enlisted Member
Rep

themishmosh Same deal. I really love the X1, theres just something about it. When I got it, a lot of friends were like REAAAALLLYYY an X1, we see you in an X5 or something. But once they rode in it, experienced it they see why I made the decision. I believe it has JUST the right amount of sports, luxuries, performance, space/utility to make it something that can kind of do most things we do on a day to day basis.
Appreciate 0