12-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #45
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
Mario, I'd agree with you for sure. Even 'strangled' by EPA SCR emissions gear (which you folks will see as EU 6 approaches), the M57Y in my 335d is a well-refined, growling beast. 30,000km and just a single oil change and DEF refill so far. wow!

How do you find the X drives? My wife currently drives an '06 CRD Jeep Liberty (Cherokee to Europeans) and she's looking for something new in the small SUV class. We have a Mk4 Jetta/Bora TDI as well, so we're diesel fans (a very rare thing in North America, for sure) and want to know if it's worth the wait until May/June 2011 for a North American release of the X1...we're told it will be an xDrive23d.)

Cheers
Duey
Hi,

Missed some posts. The XDrive on my 2.0d is brilliant although you don't really notice it until you need it. Have made good use of it twice now. Once on a farm up north through some slippery fields for fun and more seriously in the last week with the heavy snow we have experienced. Cannot fault it

Went out with the X1 on roads that had about 12 inches of snow without any problems. In fact a guy in a Suburu Impreza got stuck down my street, and of course I had to try to go through the same spot myself (with grit and a spade in the boot) and it was a complete non-event. I have the 17" rims with all-weather tyres and found them fine.

Just on another point there is talk above about fuel economy. I also drive a ne Mini Cooper but the X1 is giving me better economy! Mini stands around 34mpg (thats UK gallons) and the X1 38mpg on average. I have seen the X1 hit 44mpg on the open road. I am a committed petrol-head but the engine in the X1 is amazing.

PS: I have also heard rumours of a new 2.0d from my dealer that produces around 260bhp with the economy of the current engines I doubt though that it would be introduced on a X1 first. More likely the new 5-series.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #46
afidel
Rep
Drives: waiting for my x1d

I hear you on the snow, couple years ago we got 21.5' of snow over the winter which is why I'd love a 4 wheel drive vehicle but the only one available with reasonable mileage is the x1 diesel. The next best on fuel economy is the Subaru Outback and that's 8.1l/100km highway which is far off from the 6.4 you're getting! I'd also imagine it's nothing like the kind of vehicle that the x1 is =)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #47
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Mario, thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to seeing what shows up on the North American shores.

Slainte
D.
      12-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #48
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Jeez, the new X3 looks as big as the X5 !
Attached Images

12-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #49
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Jeez, the new X3 looks as big as the X5 !
Good pic! I have been to see it and yes it is big. In fact my dealer says its exactly the same size as the original X5.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #50
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

The line-up also clearly demonstrates that the X1 is not quite an SUV in the likes of the rest of the X-Line.

Even though many auto magazines have run tests mixing X1, Q5, Freelander etc... I see the X1 much closer in concept to an A4 AllRoad (rather than Q5) within the same category, where a Q5 is much closer to the X3.

Dare I say it, but maybe the X1 shouldve been in a range of its own ?
      12-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #51
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Wow, that alpine white x3 m-sport is HOT!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #52
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
The line-up also clearly demonstrates that the X1 is not quite an SUV in the likes of the rest of the X-Line.

Even though many auto magazines have run tests mixing X1, Q5, Freelander etc... I see the X1 much closer in concept to an A4 AllRoad (rather than Q5) within the same category, where a Q5 is much closer to the X3.

Dare I say it, but maybe the X1 shouldve been in a range of its own ?
Interesting point, I think that the X1 is more of a crossover than SUV. Comparing it to the A4 all road is imo not quite right as it has a higher ground clearance and significantly more suspension travel. The A4 also feels more like a regular estate with a few bolt on bits. The X1 does not look like the traditional 4x4's and it is not by any means in the league of a Discovery, Hilux, Range Rover etc off road. The Q5 again is a strange one. It looks to me like a SUV but has the same offroad features as the A4 on which its based. The X1 drives better and has more interior space. So I think you are right in that its probably on its own at the moment. There is nothing else quite like it in the UK market.
Appreciate 0