XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Rattle/ vibration from dash..................

Bringing my 5 day old X1 in to dealer this morning to check a few items. I have read about the rattle/vibration some people have experiences from the dash area around the radio. I have also had this happen and can stop it by putting a little pressure on the right side of the radio surround.

What has been any ones experience in having the dealership correct this noise?

Thanks for any info
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i have a follow up appointment for service in 2 weeks to address the issues they looked at today, once that service is done which includes the rattle noise I will post the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Just a quick note - that slight "crackling" from the dash facade was annoying me as well. Recently it is more intermittent and less noticeable. I trace this back to a weekend when I visited friends in Palm Springs. It wasn't PS at its hottest but it got into high 80s/low 90s while my car was parked outside. When I left to drive home it was pretty damn hot in there (all black interior). In the following days I began to realize, the crackling was not nearly so noticeable.

I'm not even going to speculate on any "physics" type explanation of why that is, if I am right that something about being left out in PS heat affected the cause of the crackling.

By the way, a previous time I visited those PS friends it was July, and I had an older IPod in the car. Parked in the sun again (no alternative). It developed black streaks across the screen! I didn't care since it was my oldest IPod, but at some point those streaks disappeared. PS heat requires a lot of attention. My friends said if they leave for a few days they have to set the AC to come on, because the house can heat up so much that there can be damage to the electrical system. To enjoy temps in the 60s-70s in winter, PS requires you live with 90-100 for about half the year...

Still curious to hear what a dealership could do regarding the crackling, as I have a feeling it may return.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

I've got the same thing. I hope BMW releases a TSB on this apparently common problem so I don't have to take a service advisor for a spin to replicate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
huacker
Rep
Drives: X1 S18d 2013

I have this problem too. Booked a service to raise the issue. Will keep you guys informed after the service.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
huacker
Rep
Drives: X1 S18d 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer
i have a follow up appointment for service in 2 weeks to address the issues they looked at today, once that service is done which includes the rattle noise I will post the outcome.
Any update about the vibration?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I started this tread, the temp definitely seems to be part of this problem. When getting into my X1 last night after it was sitting in 90 degrees all day the crackling noise from the dash was very noticeable. It did diminish as the interior cooled down. I would think that this is do to the "cheap plastic dash materials" as stated in X1 reviews. I don't believe that the dealer will be able to correct this problem if it is because of the materials used as I suspect. When ever I have these noises I can lightly touch the spot on the dash and stop the noise. Any thoughts on resolving this problem based on my observations?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
I started this tread, the temp definitely seems to be part of this problem. When getting into my X1 last night after it was sitting in 90 degrees all day the crackling noise from the dash was very noticeable. It did diminish as the interior cooled down. I would think that this is do to the "cheap plastic dash materials" as stated in X1 reviews. I don't believe that the dealer will be able to correct this problem if it is because of the materials used as I suspect. When ever I have these noises I can lightly touch the spot on the dash and stop the noise. Any thoughts on resolving this problem based on my observations?

Thanks
I'd bet they CAN correct it. My SA already told me that they will figure out where the noise originates and insert pads between the parts that are rubbing together. I isolated the noise and temporarily fixed mine with paper. The only other rattle issue I have is with the removeable cup holder. I imagine the only way to fix that is to leave it at home.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Had this issue, this fixed it. Seems relatively common:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...59&postcount=9
Appreciate 0