XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

08-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

X1 Headlights

Just took delivery of my X1 - Canadian version with the Zenon headlights. The inner headlamps are dummies with the angel ring providing the required daytime running lights. For you European X1 owners with the zenon headlights can you tell me - are the inners dummies as well or do they perform as driving lights or secondary high beams?
Thanks
Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My Australian X1 with Zenons has dummy inners too ... the first time I noticed it I was about to take it to the dealer to fix lol, but on reading the manual realised that was the way it was meant to be.

The lights are excellent!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
jackinbc
Canada
Rep

Thanks. Yes, the lights are excellent - I've only had the car a few days and have only taken one short nightime drive (doesn't get dark here in this part of the Northern Hemisphere until late) but yes, excellent headlights and I love the adapative feature - lack of zenons were a deal breaker for me. But, still interested to hear if more light is possible - more is always better!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

jack,

Next time turn your wheel in front of a window, then you realize the foglight also turn on as part of the adaptive function.

As for the dummy lens, probably there's an light auto leveller in there, not so sure, but that's a possibility.

I want to try to remove that ugly yellow reflector in the headlights, it look very ugly on my mineral white.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
jackinbc
Canada
Rep

Yes, thanks, I tried that out the other night - first time with adaptive headlights - I'm looking forward to some dark nights this winter! The leveller is likely build in to the outer headlamps - the ones with the zenon lamps. Let me know how the make out on removing the yellow reflector.
Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinbc View Post
Just took delivery of my X1 - Canadian version with the Zenon headlights. The inner headlamps are dummies with the angel ring providing the required daytime running lights. For you European X1 owners with the zenon headlights can you tell me - are the inners dummies as well or do they perform as driving lights or secondary high beams?
Thanks
Jack
They are also dummies.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
jackinbc
Canada
Rep

Thanks for checking and replying. Ill be visiting Paris in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to dropping into a BMW dealer and checking out the Euro versions!
Jakc
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

If they're anything like the inner lights on the E9X cars, then they only turn on when you turn the steering wheel left or right when set to Auto mode.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0