XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 s18d

Aftermarket bluetooth?

I just ordered an X1 s18d with the professional Hi-Fi, but the budget limit didn't allow for the bluetooth option.. Thus, I am interested in the aftermarket options.

There are several alternatives, like the Nokia CK-600, Parrot 9xxx, Bury 9060 Music. Parrot seems best on paper, but apparently is utter crap, as per forum posts..

Anyway, I will probably find the info on my best choice elsewhere, but I would be interested in finding out here, if the professional Hi-Fi supports external HF integration via an adapter cable set? Has anyone done any research on this? If not, it would be helpful to learn whether the X1's Radio Professional is identical to E9x or E6x radio professional?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhapuro View Post
I just ordered an X1 s18d with the professional Hi-Fi, but the budget limit didn't allow for the bluetooth option.. Thus, I am interested in the aftermarket options.

There are several alternatives, like the Nokia CK-600, Parrot 9xxx, Bury 9060 Music. Parrot seems best on paper, but apparently is utter crap, as per forum posts..

Anyway, I will probably find the info on my best choice elsewhere, but I would be interested in finding out here, if the professional Hi-Fi supports external HF integration via an adapter cable set? Has anyone done any research on this? If not, it would be helpful to learn whether the X1's Radio Professional is identical to E9x or E6x radio professional?
I use a Parrot Minikit Slim in my Golf. Its a great piece of kit, very simple to use. Battery lasts an amazing 2 months with occasional use. It also fits very discreetly on the sunvisor so pretty much out of sight as well. Has voice control and a bargain at around £70 but download the manual from the Parrot website as the one that comes in the box is rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I use a Parrot Minikit Slim in my Golf. Its a great piece of kit, very simple to use. Battery lasts an amazing 2 months with occasional use. It also fits very discreetly on the sunvisor so pretty much out of sight as well. Has voice control and a bargain at around £70 but download the manual from the Parrot website as the one that comes in the box is rubbish.
The kit looks good, and I'm sure it performs well, too, but I'm primarily looking for a system that would integrate with the car's stereo system. I'd prefer to be able to play music through it as well, as the capacity of a CD-ROM for MP3's is somewhat limited.

Guess I'm a bit spoiled with the iDrive (Navi-Pro) in my previous E91, and the MMI Plus in my current A6, and thus the idea of a somewhat integrated system appeals to me. If I was able to handle my music and my calls through, for example, a Nokia CK-600, that would cover most of my needs; only would need to use the portable navigator through it's own speakers. Only questions with the CK-600 are, whether there's a possibility to connect it to the Professional CD with a telephone mute -cord, and a stereo input, so that the music could be played through A2DP-connection, too.

I'm playing with the thought of a "light-install", too, and using the AUX-in for the connection to the hifi-system. This option would just render the HF useless when listening to the radio. Though, I expect to mainly listen to my MP3's, so this wouldn't be that much of an issue...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep

While googling, I found this:
www.bigpatsfans.com/X3PortableNav.pdf

So, at least on X3, there is a way to integrate at least the BMW portable NAV to the original stereo... I'll need to do a bit more research on the capabilities of the unit, but it should handle music and BT-HF, too..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I also miss the integrated BT-HF, so I asked my BMW dealer. They had a kit, but the cost were €1,000 The kit for X1 needed an extra module for € 500...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
I also miss the integrated BT-HF, so I asked my BMW dealer. They had a kit, but the cost were €1,000 The kit for X1 needed an extra module for € 500...
Yes, retrofitting the original stuff is out of the question. BMW is very good at designing practically all optional kit so, that retrofitting always requires a specific HW module, which is priced so, that it will be more expensive to retrofit anything than get it straight from get-go. Though it's a pity for an individual, I admire the business sense of the bavarians. That's exactly the way I would do it, too.

Some more results of my research:
-At least Parrot offers a steering wheel button adapter for their kits, for some BMW models. X1 doesn't seem to be listed anywhere yet, so finding out whether it's compatible or not, will apparently take until my X1 is delivered, I can take the radio out, and look up the part number in RealOEM, so that I know if it's the same unit as in a certain MY X3. Then I'll know...
-Bury CC 9060 Music seems to be a good unit. Apparently Parrot's similar unit is utter crap with it's stability similar to a trojan&virus-infected WinXP...

If push comes to shove, I'll do a simple install of the Bury CC 9060, meaning that I will just hardwire the audio into the standard AUX-IN, and hardwire the power from the power output in the armrest. This will enable me to listen to MP3's and receive phonecalls with a reasonable UI. This will require me to buy an iPod, though, but I'll just hide it somewhere where nobody sees it so I don't have to view myself as an Apple-fanboy.

Last edited by Turhapuro; 08-15-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep

With the help of tompak23d's post in another thread, I found another option:
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...ro----BMW.html

This would do exactly the same thing as the original Bluetooth-HF -option AND also support A2DP. I wish I had a way of testing whether the A2DP is at all adequate for listening to music, and how horrible it would be UI-wise, trying to control the playback from the phone.

I really prefer the OEM-look, but without iDrive, the UI sucks bad. Wish BMW would include iDrive also without NAV, like Audi does with their MMI...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Yes, I forgot about that thread, sorry. It seems like the product feels very good, but not possible to order yet...I will order asap...Then we will see if it works as promised...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Yes, I forgot about that thread, sorry. It seems like the product feels very good, but not possible to order yet...I will order asap...Then we will see if it works as promised...
What do you mean, not possible to order? I checked and I could add the item to cart, and then proceed to checkout. And it said it's E84 compatible in the description. Go ahead and order one, I'm holding my breath already to hear how it works!
Appreciate 0