XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

First timer purchasing a vehicle, need advice

G'day members!

I am from Australia and currently own a m4, so hopefully I'm allowed to post here. Sorry if I broke any rules. Admin please delete if not allow

That aside, my current situation is.
I'm planning to stay at USA to travel 2-3months. I have previously posted about what's the most economical and within my budget method to acquire a mode of transport for my road trip in USA.

I've narrowed down to buying a car outright as I get a better ride and unlimited km to drive.

I've located a vehicle of choice in California San Francisco area. The vehicle being 2015 Boxster gts asking for 68k with 7000 miles.

I chose this as its within my cash payout budget, and I feel like the car has taken a hit in depreciation.

As I have no knowledge and first time in the states and purchasing a vehicle.

-What sort of discount would I be looking at? Would it be possible to get at least 5k off the 68k asking price?

-after putting approximate 10000miles-15000miles on the car, what should I expect approximately that the dealer would buy the car back for.

Please know I am not expecting an exact figure as it varies, I just want an idea approximately how much money I need to make this happen. My ideal would be loosing 8-10k USD for the whole thing (including insurance). Am I being optimistic or is it realistic?

Thank you, any advice or car suggestion is welcome!
My budget is approximately 70k usd max, manual and a fun car that has taken a big hit from depreciation.

Thank you for taking the time to read!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
F30plus80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

http://www.kbb.com should give you an approximate idea of how much it'll be worth after you're done with it.
Appreciate 1
Wilsonv40.00
      10-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
unc879wins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Lexus RC350 FSport

When time to sell it, try selling private party. Dealer will low ball you (understandably so) since you're not trading it. PP will take longer but weigh time vs net gain/loss.
Appreciate 1
Wilsonv40.00
      10-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc879wins
When time to sell it, try selling private party. Dealer will low ball you (understandably so) since you're not trading it. PP will take longer but weigh time vs net gain/loss.
Thank you! If I do plan to sell private. What website is the best to use? Also how much more lowball will it be normally if I sell to dealer. Say 3-5k or substantially more?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30plus80
http://www.kbb.com should give you an approximate idea of how much it'll be worth after you're done with it.
Thank you! How accurate would you say kbb is? More than 60%?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You can probably negotiate with a rental company. rent a vette for $3k a month or something and save yourself a lot of hassle
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Here's an idea. Why don't you buy the gts and list it for sale right away with $5-8k off and add 10-15k in for mileage. Also state clearly the date that you are ready to sell. This way, you would most likely have buyers lined up and don't have the fudge around when it comes time to let it go. Dealers will rape you more times than not unless it's a desirable gt p-car.

You already have a good budget, just force it to happen within your budget.

Also seems like you'll be doing a lot of driving so investing in a partial clear bra would probably retain the value better during that time.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 02:26 AM   #8
hoaloaken23
Rep
Drives: Kia moring si

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30plus80 View Post
Thank you for sharing dear
      10-12-2016, 03:59 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Sorry but this is the craziest idea i have ever heard! The average sale tax in CA is around 9% so you will be out of at least $6,000 just for sale tax.
If money isn't an issue for you then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I highly doubt the dealer would be willing to discount that car by 5 grand. Price sounds pretty fair to me.

I think your estimated losses are probably pretty accurate, however. Maybe even a tad conservative if you sell to an individual, rather than back to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

I am very interested in how this turns out in a positive way.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:50 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd get in touch with any of the major USA car rental companies and discuss a 2 - 3 month rental. If you are willing to spend $8K to $10K USD on transportation you can easily rent a nice car for $500/week ($6,000 for 3 months) in the USA. The rental company could care less how long you rent it for. You'll spend 5 days out of your trip just dealing with purchase, insurance, titling and registration; I doubt you can even buy and legally register and insure a car if you just have a tourist visa and without a US State drivers license.

Just goofing around on Hertz, as an example, you can rent a Mercedes SLK 250 for $1,750 USD per month. If you rent then you can switch cars as often as you like as well. Coming over and buying a car for 3 months use doesn't make much sense.

Have fun when you get here, we have a great country (especially to drive in) despite what you may have recently heard. And make sure your trip includes the drive from Glacier National Park down to Yellowstone National Park.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-13-2016 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Don't buy, the US and Canada are the land of the low sticker price with a million hidden charges, buying and selling will cost a fortune and most people are too neurotic to buy private.

Rent, for the love of god, rent.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #15
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo
I highly doubt the dealer would be willing to discount that car by 5 grand. Price sounds pretty fair to me.

I think your estimated losses are probably pretty accurate, however. Maybe even a tad conservative if you sell to an individual, rather than back to a dealer.
Thank you for the advice, so you think I'll have no chance getting 5k off a 15k miles car. It's been out for close to 3 years now with new Boxster out. Fair enough, it was just my guess though.
P.s you say I can sell it thru private. Do you know where I can do that. Website wise. I was planning to sell it to carmax from my reaearch
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:26 AM   #16
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd get in touch with any of the major USA car rental companies and discuss a 2 - 3 month rental. If you are willing to spend $8K to $10K USD on transportation you can easily rent a nice car for $500/week ($6,000 for 3 months) in the USA. The rental company could care less how long you rent it for. You'll spend 5 days out of your trip just dealing with purchase, insurance, titling and registration; I doubt you can even buy and legally register and insure a car if you just have a tourist visa and without a US State drivers license.

Just goofing around on Hertz, as an example, you can rent a Mercedes SLK 250 for $1,750 USD per month. If you rent then you can switch cars as often as you like as well. Coming over and buying a car for 3 months use doesn't make much sense.

Have fun when you get here, we have a great country (especially to drive in) despite what you may have recently heard. And make sure your trip includes the drive from Glacier National Park down to Yellowstone National Park.
Question is, who wants to drive an slk?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Question is, who wants to drive an slk?
Well obviously someone or they wouldn't have the car as a rental would they...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-14-2016 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #18
k332814
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3 and more

CARMAX?

Ask what they would offer to buy it back after x time and x miles.

HUGE inventory with pictures

Locations Nationwide- Buy in CA Sell it back in FL

Warranty. Locations nationwide

Sidenote-
Years ago I met some dudes from downunder on a USA walkabout. They had $3000 15 year old junker they bought at a used car lot a random taxi driver took them. One year later, they parked the car at Miami airport and got on a plane home. Car is probably still their lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #19
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonv View Post
Thank you for the advice, so you think I'll have no chance getting 5k off a 15k miles car. It's been out for close to 3 years now with new Boxster out. Fair enough, it was just my guess though.
P.s you say I can sell it thru private. Do you know where I can do that. Website wise. I was planning to sell it to carmax from my reaearch
You can always sell to Carmax, but I'd only use it as a last resort or if they have a strong offer. Otherwise, you could list the car on Autotrader, CarGurus, Cars.com, or even eBay.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

As previously stated, the hassle of buying, registering, insuring, paying sales tax, etc makes it an unbelievably terrible idea in my opinion. You could rent a solid luxury/sports car for the same if not lower price, with about 99% less hassle. But to each his own, Id say 5k off is pushing it as well though for sure

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0