XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

Why take off runflats?

I was curious about others replacing their runflats with normal tyres. I currently have a 320i SE Coupe with 18" wheels and immediately took off the runflats because the ride was just too harsh.

However I had a new X1 for the day (18" wheels) and didn't believe it had runflats on so had to get out and check, the ride was so much better than my 320 with standard tyres.

I'm wondering if those wanting to replace their runflats on their X1's if it's an older model or not and that's what makes the difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

The ride on my X1 is not nearly as bad as my 335i or my MINI that also had run flats. That said...
run flats ride harsher, don't handle as well, cost WAY more, are not readily available if you do happen to need one, are quickly ruined if you run much distance on them(essentially, using them for their intended purpose), are HEAVY, and lastly, if you do have a puncture, many tire places refuse to repair them.
I will NEVER buy run flats to replace ANY OEM tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
The ride on my X1 is not nearly as bad as my 335i or my MINI that also had run flats. That said...
run flats ride harsher, don't handle as well, cost WAY more, are not readily available if you do happen to need one, are quickly ruined if you run much distance on them(essentially, using them for their intended purpose), are HEAVY, and lastly, if you do have a puncture, many tire places refuse to repair them.
Sounds like enough reasons to get shot of them! I thought it was just because people thought the ride was too harsh!

I noticed that some of the X1's don't come with run flats but standard tyres and presume they just stick a repair kit in the boot, that's all fine and dandy but if you have a large blowout that kit won't help at all.

Sometimes I just wish they went back to the old way and gave a spare...much easier all round.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It depends on what your goals are. If you are looking for track performance and the last tenth of performance, there is little argument that non RFT's are best. If you're the kind of person that thinks a Corolla should come on Pilot Cup tires or you're putting children and puppies at risk, then RFT's are absolute rubbish.

However, if you bought a car for transportation, would be at least mildly inconvenienced by sitting on the side of a rural road for a few hours waiting for a tow, or wouldn't have any idea of a two to three pound difference in each tire, then they're really not all that bad now. They have improved mightily in the last few generations.

Let's not forget that BMW's suspensions are tuned for RFT's relative ride harshness (which is now much less than it was one generation ago, much less two), so if you remove them, the ride will be even squishier than it is with RFT's unless you change springs and shocks, which you may notice more than negates the $20-$40/tire surcharge for an RFT.

If you bought an X1 thinking it's an F458 with four doors, run to the shop and get some heat cycled non RFT's. If you realize the X1 is already a compromise of many sorts and can live with little ride harshness, acknowledging that RFT's still have a limited advantage, you'll likely be fine and so will most babies and adorable little puppies.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
They have improved mightily in the last few generations.
They must have done because I couldn't believe they were run flats due to my previous experience with them.

Quite frankly I'm happy with the ride based on the limited time I had with the car (7 hours or so) so would't change them from the outset anyway. More curious what others thought really.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
I noticed that some of the X1's don't come with run flats but standard tyres and presume they just stick a repair kit in the boot, that's all fine and dandy but if you have a large blowout that kit won't help at all.
Do you know what brand are the NON ROF?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Do you know what brand are the NON ROF?
No idea actually but noticed over here in the UK some models such as the SE only come with standards and no spare!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Most of us folk that live in the centre of s major city have no problems getting a puncture and driving a block to a repair shop. Also, the extra cost for me isn't worth the bit of peace of mind. I find that going from Pirelli run flats to my Bridgestone winter non run flats that my ride had actually gotten slightly worse.

With my new summer wheels set to arrive within the next month, I'll be trying my first set of Michelin pilot super sports. Although I won't be trying then until spring arrives (June?)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Most of us folk that live in the centre of s major city have no problems getting a puncture and driving a block to a repair shop. Also, the extra cost for me isn't worth the bit of peace of mind. I find that going from Pirelli run flats to my Bridgestone winter non run flats that my ride had actually gotten slightly worse.

With my new summer wheels set to arrive within the next month, I'll be trying my first set of Michelin pilot super sports. Although I won't be trying then until spring arrives (June?)
Same thing here, I put on Bridgestone non-RFT snows (Blizzaks - wonderful snow tires by the way) and although I would not say the ride is worse, it is no softer than the OEM RFTs. I will say that I did not find the RFTs to be overly harsh, and here in Wisconsin we have very poor quality road surfaces, almost third world.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I replaced my RFT 17 with new wheels non RFT 18 and my X1 is more confortable and more refined. RFT are more prone to puncture and they are very heavy, expensive, harsh for the ride, and just an agony. One tire cost me over $500 after I got a screw. Keep in mind that is a maximum difference between the tires and after a while you might need to buy all 4 to not destroy your differential. Doesn't matter if I can run even 100 km with a run flat, when I am outside the city I can not find a such tire, even the dealership have none in stock, while with non RFT I have good chances to find a tire, not to mention many shops don't even touch RFT vehicles. In plus, i have a nice beige garage floor, the RFT drove me nuts with the marks they leave on the floor.
I switched to Non RFT and i will never buy a RFT tire. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Many people says:

-less confort (harder ride)
-less safety (the tires make the choice how to follow the 'bad' road)
-cracked rims (due to the pressure of the hard tires on the rims)
(and more expensive, not really a disbenefit, the idea behind RFT's is good)

Car papers say RFT's needed so on my stock 18" I will put winter RFT's and thoose are for car inspection and for garanty purposes when I actualy need garanty with something that has to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I agree with most people's reply with regards to harder ride, cracking rims etc because I had the same issue when I got my 2009 320i SE, basically had to take them off immediately.

But...when I test drove the X1 it was completely different and as I mentioned I had to get out and check them as I didn't believe they were RFs as the ride was so good, much better than my 320 without RFs.

They have mentioned that RFs have come a long way in the last couple of years and based on my experience I couldn't disagree. I think perhaps it's determined by which model you are driving and the model year.

It may also have to do with the fact the RFs on the X1 aren't as low profile as the ones I had on my 320 and from what I've heard tyres are responsible for 50% of the overall ride quality, so essentially the bigger the tyre (height not width) the more comfortable it is to ride bumps.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Tire manufactures did themselves a disservice with the initial launch of RFTs and have been catching up since. When friends found out my X1 had RFT's they gave me heat for it.

The ride is nothing like they said it would be. Even on 19's M Sport with 35 aspect ratio, the ride is planted, supple, quiet and very smooth. I have zero interest in changing them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
BMW did a really good job at tuning in ride quality with the run flats. I just think a $25 plug is easier and cheaper than waiting a day or two for the dealer to ship a tire in. I wouldn't go out and change out the run flats on purpose, I would have waited for them to wear out, or in my case, change then it because I'm changing my entire wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I'll be watching the discussion here and make a decision when the runflats wear out. I've got a jack, compressor and plugs in the trunk, so I'd like to think I'm keeping my options open.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
BMW did a really good job at tuning in ride quality with the run flats. I just think a $25 plug is easier and cheaper than waiting a day or two for the dealer to ship a tire in. I wouldn't go out and change out the run flats on purpose, I would have waited for them to wear out, or in my case, change then it because I'm changing my entire wheel.
Agree. I'm driving the Summer RFTs (that came on my X1) in warm weather and I got non-RFTs for colder temps.
When the RFTs wear out, they'll be replaced with non-RTF summers.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Mojo_Mike
Rep
Drives: 2014 S Drive 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Yeah, I had a flat in rural Arkansas last year and the tire shop wouldn't even attempt to repair the run-flat. They didn't have the size tire I needed, and said it would take 3 days to get in! I ended up going to Walmart and getting some tire slime and prayed to God to get me home safely to Texas. As soon as I got home, I replaced the run-flats with conventional tires.

Since we don't have a spare, I now carry a Dynaplug roadside kit - http://www.dynaplug.com/roadsidekit.html
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Mike, that looks like an uncommonly nice kit, tho' it's pricey.
I have a compact compressor and some plugs, plus a jack and tire iron.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #19
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I replaced my RFT 17 with new wheels non RFT 18 and my X1 is more confortable and more refined. RFT are more prone to puncture and they are very heavy, expensive, harsh for the ride, and just an agony. One tire cost me over $500 after I got a screw. Keep in mind that is a maximum difference between the tires and after a while you might need to buy all 4 to not destroy your differential. Doesn't matter if I can run even 100 km with a run flat, when I am outside the city I can not find a such tire, even the dealership have none in stock, while with non RFT I have good chances to find a tire, not to mention many shops don't even touch RFT vehicles. In plus, i have a nice beige garage floor, the RFT drove me nuts with the marks they leave on the floor.
I switched to Non RFT and i will never buy a RFT tire. Ever.
How have you managed the TPMS?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
How have you managed the TPMS?
I didn't do anything. Just installed the new wheels with regular tires and that's it, no errors. I am like any other car without TPMS I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I didn't do anything. Just installed the new wheels with regular tires and that's it, no errors. I am like any other car without TPMS I suppose...
Why would you not run the TPMS? Actually, I thought the Canadian models just used the computer to monitor wheel rotation speed, instead of our silly in-wheel sensors? We kept TPMS in our 1er with non RFT's and had no issues with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I know everyone loves to bash run-flats, but there is a reason that BMW puts them on all of their cars, and it is NOT to save people the hassle of waiting at the side of the road for a tow.

Run-Flats, while weighing slightly more than a regular tire, save you the weight of having to carry around a spare tire and tool kit, so overall weight of the vehicle is less. That also means you have more trunk space as well.

Most importantly, if you ever have a blow-out, a run flat tire will not fall apart like a regular tire, and you will retain control of the vehicle. So this is a big safety feature as well.

I once had a blow-out on the highway while doing 75mph in a sports car with regular tires, and I don't have to tell you the details of what happens when you're driving 75mph and without warning one of your tires suddenly falls apart into a hundred pieces. I wish that car had run-flats.
Appreciate 0