XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Over the last days like many people living near the East Coast, my X1 was put (again) successfully to the wintery test (few inches of snow at -8F here in Canada). The 7.5 inches clearance, AWD, efficient dynamic electronic system on icy roads, no-problem cold start were all good to have... However I believe what truly makes the difference are the winter tires. Mine are 17" Pirelli Sottozero II ... They give so much edge to the electronic stability system that for the fun of it yesterday I disengaged the DSC (while leaving on the DTC) on icy road and kept full control, eg no drift even in bend. X1's inner stability truly does impress me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #24
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I live in New Jersey, and we just had about 10 inches of snow yesterday. When I went out late in the day, the roads had been plowed, but there was still a couple of inches of compressed snow on the road, and some areas where the plow had obviously gone through before it stopped snowing. The stock runflats handled that just fine and I felt very stable and did not slide at all. So I would say the stock tires are find if you are going to be driving through snow that is not very deep. As has been mentioned, if you need to get through deeper snow, I would get winter tires, and for very deep snow, perhaps something like a range rover or jeep would do a better job.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #25
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My X1 is my fourth BMW. I have an Xdrive28i. I had a 2005 330i RWD that I ran with snows in the winter. I used the Dunlop Wintersports and that thing was almost unstoppable unless the snow was a foot deep. I had a dedicated set. I ran the same setup on my 2006 Z4 and that car was great up to about 8 inches of snow. I had a 2008 328xi coupe that I just ran with the all seasons. For some reason, that car didn't seem all that great in the snow. I was wondering, when I got my X1, if I would need to run snows. Well, I gave the car a good workout last night, and I have to say, it did very well. We had about 8 inches of snow last night. The stock Pirelli all seasons worked beautifully. I drove through 8 inches with no effort and felt very little slippage in a variety of conditions. I even stopped on a very steep snow covered hill to see how she would react. I gave it a decent amount of gas....the traction control light flickered a couple times and I was off with no trouble. I went around quite a few turns that were causing other vehicles to slide. I slid very little, if at all. I messed around in an unplowed parking lot this morning, and again, had no problems at all. These seem to be some of the best all season tires I've had, in regards to snow traction. Combined with the extra ground clearance and the Xdrive, I don't feel that I'll need snows. I think she's only going to be limited by snow depth. I'm sure she won't plow through 16 inches like my Wrangler did. Side note: I have 12,000 miles on the Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Also live in Staten Island and agree with how my X1 handled the snow and could't agree with you more about how the people drive on Staten Island. Even in good weather they are the most dangerous drivers I have encountered. They need to pay more attention to their driving than there cell phones or blasting music. Superman was invincible, they must all think they are his descendants
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #27
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Coming from a 2011 X3 the X1 is a much better snow vehicle. I am constantly surprised at how well it holds the road and how fast the traction control kicks in.
with the X3 you had to keep your foot on the accelerator to prevent a spin. Both vehicles have or had winter tires and the same engine but the X1 has a Dinan tune.
More horsepower and less weight should be harder to drive but it is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #28
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

I've had my 28i xDrive out in 9" of unplowed snow on stock 17" with Goodyear RFT and it does very well. The only thing to be careful about is ground clearance, as I nearly had it hung up leaving my garage the other way with a drift of at least 2' I tried to drive straight through. In hindsight I shouldn't have even attempted it, but it was entertaining
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I did some pretty exhaustive research on tires and went with Dunlop Wintersport 4D's. Basically they're the newest version of the original Dunlop M3 (which were replaced by their 3D line, and now 4D line) winter performance tires. They come in RFT but I went with go-flats for my own preference. They're newer to the US but in the UK and EU they're typically at the very top of tests except for deep snow but I'm fine with that trade off to get better dry, wet and ice traction.

I enjoy driving and over the winter have become very experienced with the setup. I live on the outskirts of town with lots of private roads through hills and I've pushed the car harder than many people ever will. The car does extremely well on ice and snow even with heavy gas (I often take off 2-5 times faster than another VW 4motion+all seasons and 4x4 trucks with winter tires when we tested stuff out). The DSC does a good job at cutting the engine when needed and restoring power quickly when it can as well as when you do get the car in an understeer situation the DSC makes it extremely easy to get it back in line. I was surprised many times when I hit the gas and turned hard and the car hits the breaks uniquely for each wheel does an amazing job at trying to get you going where the wheels is directing. A few times it pretty much dead stopped the car in order to follow the path I was giving via the steering wheel which I admire over potentially running off the road or hitting something if I was actually trying to avoid sliding and making a wider turn than desired. Also, cutting between lanes where there is 3-5 inches of slush/snow/ice built up is very smooth and the car doesn't become unstable like I've always gotten in other cars. I'm not sure if it's DSC or the tires but it's pretty amazing.

Overall a good setup, though I did tire rack and after 3 balances, even on road force machines, there's still a bounce between 52mph and 63mph depending on how the wheels are balanced. Everyone is just claiming aftermarket wheels are never as good as OEM -- although I don't fully believe this it appears it's true with tire racks house brand of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #30
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

edx1 a question about your post

I have been considering changing to go flats, a few questions if you don't mind:

Is there less road noise than the run flats

Is the ride softer/smoother, with the run flats every road imperfection jars the X1 and sends vibrations throughout the vehicle

Flat prep, do you carry a plug kit or have you gotten the donut spare that is available for the X1

I was considering the same tire you have but I was concerned about the tire wear because it is a winter tire, any feed back on the usable life / miles of these tires compared to an all season tire

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
elfhearse
CW5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 x28iS/10 e91M/00 Z3MC

Garage List
2014 BMW x28i  [0.00]
2010 328iT  [0.00]

great traction with the General Artics...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

[QUOTE=donsbabybeamer;15259323)

Flat prep, do you carry a plug kit or have you gotten the donut spare that is available for the X1

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have a plug kit, but is a donut indeed available for the X1, (that is to say it will fit in the trunk without raising the height of the floor cover, and work with the AWD system) and at what cost?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #33
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I finally had a very good opportunity to test out the X1 in the snow last night. We had about 2 inches of freshly fallen snow on the ground, and I had to go out for about a 10 mile drive, mostly on local roads that had not been plowed yet.

I have the 17" stock all season run flats. I started out slow and cautious, but after a while I realized that the car was very stable, and if I started to slide at all, it would quickly catch and I'd have grip again. So I was able to drive at 25-30mph without any issues, and I would slow down to around 20 around curves or when going down hill.

It took me a few minutes extra to get where I was going, but the drive was very easy and it felt very stable. So I give it an "A". I can imagine with winter tires it must be a beast in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #34
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I've had the rear get a little squirrely in turns. Not sure if it's because of when I use the throttle or not.
      02-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #35
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I've had the rear get a little squirrely in turns. Not sure if it's because of when I use the throttle or not.
Don't accelerate in turns. Your rear tires are pointed forward, so if the rear catches better than the front, you'll end up going straight instead of in the direction of the turn.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #36
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Any reports of sDrive's in snow or ice? Just curious as many unusual parts of the U.S. have gotten much colder weather this year. Did you install special winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #37
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

Ditto about the snows. We've had a brutal winter and my Michelin Arctic Alpins have come through great. Ditto also about snow flying onto seats when door opened. Another flaw is the landing of the door. This always rubs on the back of my pants on egress causing a lot more cleaning of trousers than should be.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #38
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'm running stock 18" Pirelli P7s. Philly has had a record snowfall this year. Honestly, this car is incredible!!! I've had a number of AWD cars, E30 325ix, B6 A4, E46 330xi, and Q5. The X1 with all-seasons is just as stable as the E30, far superior to any of the others.

Note, I haven't put it through anything deeper than 5" but have pushed the car and have had trouble finding it's limit. Even with Traction and DSC both disabled, she's still extremely planted with impressive lateral traction. Followed a X5 and Cayenne down a back country road, both cars sliding off the road ahead of me, the X1 never missed a beat.

I'm a strong proponent of proper winter tires, always ran them on my RWD cars, but with P7s on this car I really doubt the value in the mid-atlantic and southern North. Even stopping power with the P7s is VERY impressive.

I know the M-Sport options adjusts the X-Drive a bit, pushing more power to the outside wheels on corners. Hesitate to think this impacts snow traction much, but lateral grip around corners on snow-covered roads is simply baffling.

Truly believe this is one of BMW's best value cars in the current lineup.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #39
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Any reports of sDrive's in snow or ice? Just curious as many unusual parts of the U.S. have gotten much colder weather this year. Did you install special winter tires?
I have an s-Drive with Blizzak snow tires and am in a snowy climate and do fine. In fact I just got back from skiing in Colorado and went through the passes in Summit county during a storm and made it fine while others were chaining up. I won't say it was a piece of cake. The Blizzak snows are excellent tires.

The only problem with the X1 in snow is this car has so much power that you really have accelerate carefully. The DSC is effective but kick it off if you need to spin a little to keep going forward. I do not use the Eco Pro much but it helps to temper the throttle in slippery conditions so I kick it in from time to time under those conditions.

Most people will disagree with me on this but I would rather have 4 snows and 2 WD than AWD and regular tires under adverse conditions. The braking control and cornering slippage are the main safety issues under conditions of snow and ice. Snow tires are better under these circumstances.

Lastly, the s-drive X1 is not as grippy as my other Front drive car with snows, for obvious reasons. But I love rear wheel drive and can live with the shortcomings in winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #40
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
I have an s-Drive with Blizzak snow tires and am in a snowy climate and do fine. In fact I just got back from skiing in Colorado and went through the passes in Summit county during a storm and made it fine while others were chaining up. I won't say it was a piece of cake. The Blizzak snows are excellent tires.

The only problem with the X1 in snow is this car has so much power that you really have accelerate carefully. The DSC is effective but kick it off if you need to spin a little to keep going forward. I do not use the Eco Pro much but it helps to temper the throttle in slippery conditions so I kick it in from time to time under those conditions.

Most people will disagree with me on this but I would rather have 4 snows and 2 WD than AWD and regular tires under adverse conditions. The braking control and cornering slippage are the main safety issues under conditions of snow and ice. Snow tires are better under these circumstances.

Lastly, the s-drive X1 is not as grippy as my other Front drive car with snows, for obvious reasons. But I love rear wheel drive and can live with the shortcomings in winter.
I would rather have a real SUV with all-season tires and 4 wheel drive. My previous vehicle (Volvo XC 90) drove in 24 inches of snow with stock tires with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
Most people will disagree with me on this but I would rather have 4 snows and 2 WD than AWD and regular tires under adverse conditions.
Those of us who grew up driving this way in the great white north would agree with you...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

It depends on your definition of regular tires. I think all-season M+S tires are much closer to a winter tire than you think. Just take a look at recent test results for winter, all season and summer tires on Edmunds website. I believe an AWD car with all seasons will perform much better than 2WD overall, the only exception is braking performance.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...vs-summer.html
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #43
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I think for the winter, the only thing that really matters is braking performance. I never had a problem getting going in my old T-bird which had more power, less traction and a LS rear diff. Stopping that car on the other hand, sucked in the dry let alone the snow.

The proper tires for the season shouldn't even be an option. Sure, some of us know how to drive. Be we all know how many people out there really haven't a clue regardless of the season.

FWIW, nobody that can afford a BMW shouldn't not be able to afford proper tires.

Just my 2 coppers.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #44
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I drive a 2013 135is as my daily driver. My car was in for service for a few days and I was given an X1 2.0 x drive M-sport. it was equipped with all season continental tires. FYI I run Nokian Hakkapaliita R2 snow tires on my 135is.

so we had significant snow one of the mornings I drove the X1 and it seemed to do fine in the snow with all seasons. I have a tradition of doing donuts in the snow when I arrive to work during those mornings in my 135is.....and so I was able to donuts in the X1 as well. Wasn't as crazy as my 1er...but it got the job done!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0