XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

06-24-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
PhukFace
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 E84

Smile iDrive CIC Update and Different Maps - Japan Import

Hi experts. Am new to BMW and decided to get a 2011 X1 E84.

Loving the car, however some expectations were not met.

1.0. iDrive is CIC the maps installed are Japan Premium, but I need maps for New Zealand (was told NZ maps were installed)

1.1. I called BMW NZ to see if they could upgrade the CIC and put the NZ maps on, to which they said they cannot do anything to Japan imported cars and advised me to go to an aftermarket place for a replacement head unit (I mean, this is really poor if this is true). Also tried to go through https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html but am constantly met with message "An error has occurred. Please try again later.".

1.2. I have spent a few weeks now going through Bimmerpost to see what is possible, but am completely stuck now as I have read that CIC maps for AU/NZ only go to 2020, but not sure if I can use NBT maps on CIC, can't find the 2020 maps for CIC and no idea on where to get a key gen for these maps either. As I have tried all the official processes to get this done, does anyone have any pointers or URL's as of where to go for files?

2. No bluetooth or call functionality, which i didn't ask about as the steering wheel and iDrive controller has the Telephone icons and buttons, so assumed this would be present. How silly of me to assume this would be here as the hardware looked to be... Guessing the only option here is for a hardware module and this is not software driven that you can activate?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
p4ddY
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E84 3.0l N52

I think the CIC really has to get flashed, but I'm not sure about that. You should contact a coder in your area...
The buttons actually don't indicate a bt or call functionality. You can look for the hardware - possible MULF or Combox under the trunk floors...

In your case I'd just install a MMI module to retrofit Apple Carplay or Android Auto - that would solve all your problems. I went that way in my X1 and couldn't be happier.
      06-27-2023, 05:54 PM   #3
PhukFace
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the inputs. Have found a company that installs Andoid Auto and Car Play to the existing CIC display and has Bluetooth and alike added (not sure what they do), and is accessed through pressing and holding the main select button when the engine is on. Seems like a good option, but bloody pricey at $999.00 NZD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddY View Post
I think the CIC really has to get flashed, but I'm not sure about that. You should contact a coder in your area...
The buttons actually don't indicate a bt or call functionality. You can look for the hardware - possible MULF or Combox under the trunk floors...

In your case I'd just install a MMI module to retrofit Apple Carplay or Android Auto - that would solve all your problems. I went that way in my X1 and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 05:56 PM   #4
PhukFace
Registered
Rep

Link to this solution here using X5 CIC.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 02:16 AM   #5
p4ddY
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E84 3.0l N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhukFace View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Have found a company that installs Andoid Auto and Car Play to the existing CIC display and has Bluetooth and alike added (not sure what they do), and is accessed through pressing and holding the main select button when the engine is on. Seems like a good option, but bloody pricey at $999.00 NZD.
Yeah, I have a MMI module like that installed. The module itself cost me 260 EUR which would be round about 470 NZD today. Installation was done in an hour and easily done at home.