Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Positive observations on X1

Had our Black/Coral Red X1 28xdrive MSport a few days and noticed some positives that I've not seen elsewhere on this forum.
Floor mats are black with red piping - very nice.
Contrast black stitching on the Coral Red leather looks very nice.
Crosshatch aluminum trim is significantly darker than the regular aluminum trim and looks excellent.
Did not realise before ordering that it came with roof and knee airbags to supplement the front and side airbags. Pleasant surprise.
The tailgate pulls appear to have been modified. Had difficulty closing the tailgate on the units that first appeared here as the twin tailgate indentations were flat and I had difficulty getting enough downforce to close. Our tailgate has slight lips on the indentations and it closes much more easily than I was expecting. Thank you BMW for modifying the design.
Steering (no servo) feels quite heavy compared to my X3 MSport, but is not bothersome (most of our miles are freeway/highway). Suspect it may be way too heavy for a lot of people.
Chose not to upgrade from the stock 18" mixed wheel/tire offering.
Tires are Pirelli Cinturato P7 (255/40R18 95v rear and 225/45R18 91V front).
No real driving impressions yet as the roads by home started a reconstruction project the day after delivery. Big sections of asphalt cut and removed to a depth of several inches. Perilous driving condition going over a small cliff into small stretch of moonscape then scale small cliff and repeat!!! Should be back to normal in a few days. Murphy's law!!! Only positive is that the tint is getting a chance to cure in the Texas sun for a few days.
Only bummer so far is that it does not have the ambient lighting iDrive adjustment that seems to be on the X and Sport trims with the lighting package.
Wish list for the perfect world - blind spot monitors, heated MSport steering wheel and triple parking camera system a-la X3 (zero scuffs or kerb rash on the X3 thanks to this).
Swmbo is the photographer and is promising to take pics imminently. Will post when available.
Happy trails y'all.
PS Special mention to our dealer, Autobahn BMW in Ft. Worth, and specifically SA's Chad and Brian and GM Aaron for taking such good care of us. All round excellent experience. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 11-18-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
The tailgate pulls appear to have been modified. Had difficulty closing the tailgate on the units that first appeared here as the twin tailgate indentations were flat and I had difficulty getting enough downforce to close. Our tailgate has slight lips on the indentations and it closes much more easily than I was expecting. Thank you BMW for modifying the design.

Steering without the servo feels quite heavy compared to my X3 MSport, but is not bothersome (most of our miles are freeway/highway). Suspect it may be way too heavy for a lot of people.

+1 on the squared-off grip on the tailgate pull. Much improved compared to the rounded one on our e83.

Oh how I wish I had the option of NOT getting the servo on the 35i. The non-servo hydraulic steering is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Oh how I wish I had the option of NOT getting the servo on the 35i. The non-servo hydraulic steering is perfect.
I have mixed feelings about this. I love to feel connected to the wheels without an additional abstraction layer, but at the same time, the steering wheel isn't utilitarian enough for this, and already puts ease and features over active driving. This probably makes sense from a market perspective, but until we can go all the way to steer-by-wire, I think that block-and-pinion combined with a good wheel is nicer for active driving than either hydraulic or electric power steering.
Yet, the X1 35i isn't bad - it's easy to guess at how much to steer; you just don't get the full feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Pics of recent arrival with tinted windows.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Second attempt to post pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Youngster
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Mineral Gray s28

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
Pics of recent arrival with tinted windows.
What % did you get done? I am about to move to TX from the North and I think 25% (the legal max) is a little too light for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Driver and front passenger window limited to 25% tint in TX.
Here are some links with details.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...windowTint.htm
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/TX/

If you will be in the DFW area, I can recommend an excellent tint installer who I have used for over a decade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Sweet looking ride. Thanks for posting about the ambient light. Are your ambient lights orange or white since you don't have an option?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

It looks like a $50,000+ car. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good looking boy.

Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by famfmann View Post
Sweet looking ride. Thanks for posting about the ambient light. Are your ambient lights orange or white since you don't have an option?
Orange only.
Thanks for the compliments.
We like it a lot!
Also, sports seats are really comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
famfmann
Private
Rep

Thanks Irish-Texan!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Can you describe the tail gate pulls a bit better? There's no place on my parent's X1 to pull down the tailgate from the inside. I searched online for a strap or anything to attach to the oddly shaped cutouts in the rear lift gate trim but there's nothing.
      11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Can you describe the tail gate pulls a bit better? There's no place on my parent's X1 to pull down the tailgate from the inside. I searched online for a strap or anything to attach to the oddly shaped cutouts in the rear lift gate trim but there's nothing.
I will be having a custom strap put in most likely, within a few weeks. Not sure how well it will blend in, but it will be functional at least. I will try to remember to post pictures when I get it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question. There are two "cups" or indentations in the tailgate trim. In previous X's, they were rather rounded off and smooth, and it was to maintain a grip while pulling down.

Now, there seems to be an added lip within the cup that your fingers can hold while pulling down.

I can take some pictures and post if you'd like. Realoem doesn't have a clear diagram of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question. There are two "cups" or indentations in the tailgate trim. In previous X's, they were rather rounded off and smooth, and it was to maintain a grip while pulling down.

Now, there seems to be an added lip within the cup that your fingers can hold while pulling down.

I can take some pictures and post if you'd like. Realoem doesn't have a clear diagram of them.
Sorry to be a PITA, but could you snag some when you have a spare moment? There's nothing to grab there on the tailgate for me.
      11-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Having some problems lifting my arms, the lack of any aids for closing the bonnet was one of the few things that made me think before ordering. I was considering an X5 (the X3 was out of the question), but ended on the X1 because I already have a full sized SUV, and wanted something fun to drive.
Still, I wish I could get the extra fixings of the X5 as an option. It's a little spartan.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
famfmann
Private
Rep

I was unsure about the tailgate handles too, but I downloaded the x1 owner's manual and found a diagram that shows where they are. They aren't in the back edge that looks out; they're in the interior panel that faces the ground when the lift gate is open.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to be a PITA, but could you snag some when you have a spare moment? There's nothing to grab there on the tailgate for me.
I didn't even think to look there, but as famfmann said, there is a picture in the owner's manual.

If you still need more pictures, let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

That's useful info. The only(!) picture I've been able to google that shows the opening is this one. It's still waay up there above head height, though, so I think I'll likely push it down from one side instead - that's lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I didn't even think to look there, but as famfmann said, there is a picture in the owner's manual.

If you still need more pictures, let me know.
So I think I might be missing some trim there, because for me it's just some nasty cutouts. If you can grab a photo that would be great.