XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

08-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

DIY: Kidney Grille Removal and Custom Silver Painted 23d Kidney Grilles :)

Hello everyone,

This weekend I was working on changing my kidney grilles to 23d ones. Since the original parts are 66 Euros in dealer and a lot more for installation i thought that I can do it myself. And since the operation was successful i wanted to share my experiences with you.

Tools needed:
Torx T30
Silver Metallic Spray Paint
Spray Varnish

There are two ways to remove the grilles. 1st is to remove the bumper and 2nd is my way

There are 4 T30 screws that holds bumper. Those have to be removed.

After that, if your car is equipped with the headlight washers, you also have to remove the covers of the nozzles. You have to be very careful while removing the covers. Nozzles have to be pulled straight up, or else there is a great possibility that you might brake them. Just pull straight, remove the covers without moving nozzles up and down, and slowly leave the nozzle to its original place again without moving up and down. If you get help from someone at this stage, it should be much more easier.

Nozzle covers removed:

After that, you can stretch the bumper from upper side and release the 3 latches with the help of a screwdriver.

After that you have to release the latch on the outer side. (Near the headlight).

At this point you again have to be careful not to screw the paint of the bumper. The reason is that, that latch can only be removed with the help of a long screwdriver. As you can see in the picture, the latch is right behind the rubber where it has a curve because I've loosened it. You can also see what I've done to the bumper paint No worries, the other side was perfect, just be careful

After that you can loosen the grille since it is half removed and release the other latches with hand. You might think that it might get broken bot no worries, bumper is so elastic Just be careful not to hurt your hand.

The grilles are removed, now it comes to paint them. To paint the them, it is better to remove the chrome lining from the grilles. You can also secure them with blue tape.

You may have difficulty releasing the latches of the chrome lining since there are too many and they are very tight. I come up with an idea. I insert screws to latches so they didn't snap in again when loosening others.

Then paint the grille with the spray paint. Apply 3-4 thin layers. If you wait 10-15 minutes between each layer it will be better. 3-4 thin layers are better than one thick layer. Before starting paint job don' forget to wash and clean the grilles carefully.

And lastly you have to carefully insert the chrome lining back. While doing this do not completely snap-in one side or you'll be in trouble. Try to equally snap-in from both sides.

And here is the final product.

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by mozdal; 08-02-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Good write up!

Are the roads in Turkey that bad or do you do lots of off-roading? Your engine compartment looks like you just completed the Dakar Rally!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Good write up!

Are the roads in Turkey that bad or do you do lots of off-roading? Your engine compartment looks like you just completed the Dakar Rally!
The dirt is not because of the roads The neighborhood is dusty because of the climate, I used the car several times off-road one was completely on mud and haven't touched the engine compartment since I bought the car in november.

By the way I washed the car myself today after reading your post I spent 2 hours just for the exterior. Tomorrow I'll do the interior and the engine
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
superX1muts
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive23

Hi THats simpler then I expected. Good work! I Think the Marakesh brown is the nicest color but a little dark. With extra silber like accents the color is even more beautifull.

For the lack of silber on the 'smaller'engines I decided to order the 23D
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Im starting to really like the look of these. Hope we get them in the US sometime soon
      08-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

Amazed at your ingenuity. Well done because it looks good! And yeh, there's a lot of dust around in your neck of the woods. Does it get into the interior of the car?
Nash
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Amazed at your ingenuity. Well done because it looks good! And yeh, there's a lot of dust around in your neck of the woods. Does it get into the interior of the car?
Nash
Thanks Nash I was so obsessed with removing grilles, luckily everything went well And no, there is no dust in interior. I'm hoping that someone will write up a how to clean your engine compartment DIY
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
Thanks Nash .....I'm hoping that someone will write up a how to clean your engine compartment DIY
Actually quite easy, something I do as I tend to hyper-clean (detail-ish) my cars. The are a number of products on the market that go some way to helping you clean out an engine bay. Not sure if you can get them in Turkey (my brother lives in Istanbul and always complains about how difficult it is to source things) but the engine cleaners made by Meguiars and AutoGlym are very good. You can normally just use the water from a hose with the cleaners but they do work better if coupled with a steam cleaner. I have a Karcher that I use around the house that works very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
meric88
Rep
Drives: e92

Tek kelimeyle muthis. Ellerine saglik
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric88 View Post
Tek kelimeyle muthis. Ellerine saglik
Sağol kanka: Thanks pal
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
I was so obsessed with removing grilles, luckily everything went well
Looks like you did a good job and the grille looks much better now

Did your dealer quote a fitted price?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Looks like you did a good job and the grille looks much better now

Did your dealer quote a fitted price?
The grille itself was 66 Euros, didn't even bother to ask for the labour Dealer removes the bumper to change the grilles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #14
jaxxsson
A man's reflection
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I asked my dealer to install the silver grills on delivery, the cost was only 70€ so I think it is not worth for doing yourself risk to damage something and all those things
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

[QUOTE=jaxxsson;8481349]I asked my dealer to install the silver grills on delivery, the cost was only 70

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
technostar
Rep
Drives: BMW

looks really really nice with those silver painted grills
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I have a 23d with silver grills ... but I would like to change them to black!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Guzel bir DIY.
      09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
Neraky71
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future X1 owner

Is that a sparkling bronze or merrakash brown color?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
ozanerbektas
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0d xDrive

My work!

Hello everyone.

I luckyly found out this topic. Similar to the work above, i have done the same thing to my lovely BMW X1 and almost every single person who saw it, loved it.

Its the same process. After removing four screws on top of the bumper, i relased the 8-9 clips that hold the kidney grill. And then i started to do it myself.

So that is the result. I uploaded the photos of it. It has been 3-4 months since this application. And there was no peel off or anykind, still same lovely bright colors, still same lovely looking.

I just wanted to show you all guys. I hope you'll like it as well.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Yarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 SDrive 30i

Quote:
Hello everyone,

This weekend I was working on changing my kidney grilles to 23d ones. Since the original parts are 66 Euros in dealer and a lot more for installation i thought that I can do it myself. And since the operation was successful i wanted to share my experiences with you.

Tools needed:
Torx T30
Silver Metallic Spray Paint
Spray Varnish

There are two ways to remove the grilles. 1st is to remove the bumper and 2nd is my way

There are 4 T30 screws that holds bumper. Those have to be removed.

After that, if your car is equipped with the headlight washers, you also have to remove the covers of the nozzles. You have to be very careful while removing the covers. Nozzles have to be pulled straight up, or else there is a great possibility that you might brake them. Just pull straight, remove the covers without moving nozzles up and down, and slowly leave the nozzle to its original place again without moving up and down. If you get help from someone at this stage, it should be much more easier.

Nozzle covers removed:

After that, you can stretch the bumper from upper side and release the 3 latches with the help of a screwdriver.

After that you have to release the latch on the outer side. (Near the headlight).

At this point you again have to be careful not to screw the paint of the bumper. The reason is that, that latch can only be removed with the help of a long screwdriver. As you can see in the picture, the latch is right behind the rubber where it has a curve because I've loosened it. You can also see what I've done to the bumper paint No worries, the other side was perfect, just be careful

After that you can loosen the grille since it is half removed and release the other latches with hand. You might think that it might get broken bot no worries, bumper is so elastic Just be careful not to hurt your hand.

The grilles are removed, now it comes to paint them. To paint the them, it is better to remove the chrome lining from the grilles. You can also secure them with blue tape.

You may have difficulty releasing the latches of the chrome lining since there are too many and they are very tight. I come up with an idea. I insert screws to latches so they didn't snap in again when loosening others.

Then paint the grille with the spray paint. Apply 3-4 thin layers. If you wait 10-15 minutes between each layer it will be better. 3-4 thin layers are better than one thick layer. Before starting paint job don' forget to wash and clean the grilles carefully.

And lastly you have to carefully insert the chrome lining back. While doing this do not completely snap-in one side or you'll be in trouble. Try to equally snap-in from both sides.

And here is the final product.

Hope that helps!!!

Great write up and pics. I have asked here and elsewhere if those covers for the headlight washers have to come off and you answered the question in your DIY. But I'm still a bit confused as to how you take those covers off and NOT break the lines or whatever for the washers?
      12-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
Great write up and pics. I have asked here and elsewhere if those covers for the headlight washers have to come off and you answered the question in your DIY. But I'm still a bit confused as to how you take those covers off and NOT break the lines or whatever for the washers?
It is easy: just lift them with your fingers (they are a little bit tight) and remove them. They have two small holes, once you lift them up with your fingers you will see what to do.
Appreciate 0