Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Squeak When Engine Starts - Link To Video Footage

Hi everyone

I've posted about this problem before but thought I would post a new topic to put it back on the radar again. I have a 2.0 X-Drive Manual and notice this problem several months ago. Dealership has done all sorts to try and sort it but without any luck.

The problem is they never hear it do it but upon return to me the problem is still there. I complained to BMW UK who gave me a lease car to use which was an X1 2.0 X-Drive Automatic with only 1,200 miles on the clock. I was staggered to hear this one do the same thing.

When you stop and start the engine after driving it for a few miles it squeaks. This gets worse over time and then will squeak no matter what distance it is driven. You can't hear it from within the cabin of the car you have to either have your window down or be stood near the car when the engine is started.

Here is a url to the video I took after my wife returned from the dealership in the lease car (3 mile round trip). You may not notice it on the first 2 starts but you can certainly hear it on the 3rd start when I place the camers infront of the grill.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

And??

I don't get the issue?

Is it just annoying you cause you don't know what it is?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Mine does the same... an S drive 18d MY10. I only really notice it when there's something near the car to reflect the sound. E.g. In my works car park while I'm waiting for the barrier to go up and the start/stop has kicked in.

A little annoying and probably starter motor, alternator or belt related.

Could be worse... My juddering clutch that was replaced 1500 miles ago is juddering again.

Got love this BMW quality. All the BM's I've driven in the last few months (even a brand new 3 series with 125 miles on the clock) have had issues and to be honest felt sh*t.

Best car I've ever owned was my trusty MY04 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Was yours fitted with the new revised clutch and flywheel or 'just another clutch'?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. Its good to hear its not just mine. I had this issue on my 3 series and left it snd eventually the tension pulley sheared off snapping the fan belt and the car died with my wife driving it in the outside lane. So im not willing to let this one drop.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Ive had 7 fanbelts, 3 tension pulleys abd an alternator that fixed it for a few months. Havent got the judder thank god even though i had a new clutch, fly wheel and cylinder after 5000 miles.

Had the judder in my e90 and it turned out to be a software issue and bmw released updated software which cured it.

Going back to the squeak BMW fitted modified fanbelt and tension pulley. Supposidly for this specific issue but after a 3 mile drive it squeaked!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Yes new modified clutch/fly wheel so the dealership told me. Car was in for a week before BMW gave the go ahead and then a further week due to the new clutch having to come from Germany.

I'll be so annoyed if they've installed a standard clutch by mistake.

Beeker.. keep us informed of the squeak issue.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpxfunix View Post
Yes new modified clutch/fly wheel so the dealership told me. Car was in for a week before BMW gave the go ahead and then a further week due to the new clutch having to come from Germany.

I'll be so annoyed if they've installed a standard clutch by mistake.

Beeker.. keep us informed of the squeak issue.

J.
Well I'm off to the dealership to swap the X1's over so they can investigate it on the loan car BMW UK gave me. So will see what happens next. Nothing has been down on mine apart from the new central computer after it went bang last week.

Will update more when I have more info. You should contact Samantha at BMW Customer Services and tell her about yours having the same issues as mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

It's been a while now since I was last on here and didn't update this thread, sorry.

Basically this went on for months. Lots of arguements with BMW UK and BMW UK sent out a 2.0d automatic X1 to use whilst my X1 was at the dealership being investigated. The X1 they sent me only had 1000 miles on the clock and this one had the exact same squeak!

I spoke to BMW UK to tell them and they went very sheepish. The next day a modified fan belt and tension pully turned up at the dealership. I questioned if it was actually a modified on and they told me they had already checked because they thought the same as me and indeed it was and had different part numbers.

They fitted this to my X1 and since then the squeak hasn't come back.
Appreciate 0