Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-23-2024, 02:11 PM   #1
Bojji
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25i E84 2010

Question [SOLVED] Fan does not work unless AC is ON

I have an odd issue on my X1 xDrive 25i 2010 E84 with N52 6 cylinder engine.

My fan will not turn on automatically, no matter how high the coolant temperature gets. I've monitored it reaching 109/110 Celsius and the fan does not come on. However, I know the fan itself works because as soon as I turn the AC, it blows at a speed relevant to the current temperatures... all the way to max speeds.
I have never gotten a overheating warning but I've read the fan normally comes on at 95C. The normal operating temperatures should be 90C - 105~110C from what I've read.

Tests Already Done:
Idled without AC for 10-20 mins: Temperature got up to 110C and no fan
Idled for 10-20 mins and sporadically turned on the AC: Fan comes on immediately
Used ISTA to trigger the fan component and works.
Used INPA to trigger to fan at the varying speeds available (15%, 50%, 90%) and all work.
AC blows cold and monitored the refrigerant pressure in ISTA to be 7.5 BAR (minimum) and 14 BAR (max). Used a chart I found online to validate these pressures for the ambient temperatures in St Lucia (where In live).
I have changed my coolant temperature sensor and bled the coolant.

Am I overthinking this and nothing is wrong?

Last edited by Bojji; 01-24-2024 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Resolved
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 04:55 AM   #2
Bojji
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25i E84 2010

False Alarm

Confirmed with INPA that my fan actually turns on at +110C, increasing blower activation level to 10%-15% automatically to keep temperatures just below 110C. Seems my fan is programmed for that temperature.

NB: Something I noticed is that the fan will have a constant baseline reading of 7%, but I assume this is too low for it to actually spin at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0