Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-29-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
lanczos
Rep
Drives: X1 35i, Touareg TDI, 928

Backup camera and PDC stopped working

2015 USA model X1 with factory backup camera/PDC/iDrive:

Backup camera is not activating when shifting into reverse. PDC sensors also don't seem to work. Stopped working a few weeks ago. I don't see any settings in the iDrive menus. Am I missing something stupid?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 06:53 AM   #2
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i - Z3 DASC

I would start simple and run for codes, sometimes they won’t trip a CEL. Then I would check my fuses!

It could also not be triggering once you put the car in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
lanczos
Rep

Fuses good. Had some PDC codes. Pulled the PDC module out (underneath the back right cubby) - was wet. RVC module is back there too, but not wet. Either my wife spilled some water down there (totally possible, she transports jugs of water for dogs back there), or exterior leak (tail light gasket most likely).

Path forward - ordered new PDC module, will see if that fixes things. Then watch for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 06:06 AM   #4
Scratchboat
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i

I had water collecting in the passenger-side. inside rear fender and it knocked out my back camera, too. In my case the Park Distance Control kept working - in fact PDC "replaced" the missing back camera image in the dashboard display.

Prior to losing the backup camera, the camera image ran horizontally across the 3/4" of the display and PDC ran vertically across the right edge of the display.

Once the backup camera image stopped appearing, the PDC image switched to a horizontal layout using the entire display! Strange indeed.

I repaired my issue by removing the water, replacing the metal-boxed backup camera module with a used one from eBay, and simply reconnecting the cables. No coding required ...

PS - My original backup camera module was labeled "161 295 10 HW: 10.02.00 / SW:'D3.40.80" but the used replacement I purchased labeled "161 295 10 HW:10.02.00 / SW:C7.45.80" works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
lanczos
Rep

Replaced PDC module, PDC started working again, but no backup cam (PDC shows up where backup camera image is usually displayed). Replaced the metal backup camera module with one from eBay, but still no camera image. I don't think there's any coding, so either:

- backup camera module from eBay is toast
- backup camera itself is damaged

Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 05:56 PM   #6
Scratchboat
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i

At first I *thought* my issue was my camera - so I ordered a replacement camera module from RockAuto. I didn't actually install it - I just connected the cable of the new camera and put my car in reverse. No image appeared, so I put the camera back in the box. That's when I found the water that collected inside the fender. Since the camera was never installed (cable tie still uncut and protective film still covering the lens) I returned it to RockAuto for a full refund. You could try that route, too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+camera,47472
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #7
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

You need to make sure you have the right pdc module. not all support back up camera.

There may be coding of the pdc module as well required. I had to go through all this and if you got anpec modulemwith a car with no back up cam that could be the issue. Protool really helps here.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:18 AM   #8
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchboat View Post
I had water collecting in the passenger-side. inside rear fender and it knocked out my back camera, too. In my case the Park Distance Control kept working - in fact PDC "replaced" the missing back camera image in the dashboard display.

Prior to losing the backup camera, the camera image ran horizontally across the 3/4" of the display and PDC ran vertically across the right edge of the display.

Once the backup camera image stopped appearing, the PDC image switched to a horizontal layout using the entire display! Strange indeed.

I repaired my issue by removing the water, replacing the metal-boxed backup camera module with a used one from eBay, and simply reconnecting the cables. No coding required ...

PS - My original backup camera module was labeled "161 295 10 HW: 10.02.00 / SW:'D3.40.80" but the used replacement I purchased labeled "161 295 10 HW:10.02.00 / SW:C7.45.80" works just fine.
I’m dealing with the same exact issue right now. After some heavy rain the pdc image is horizontal and takes up the whole screen. I just ordered a new camera module from eBay, hopefully that fixes it like it did for you!
Appreciate 0