XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Door rattling is a famously known problem in BMWs. It happened to my previous E90 too. The rattles will be gone when you wind down your windows. This is caused by the pressure by the window against your door frame. Not too sure how long will cleaning and oiling the seals can last but the permanent solution to this is to get your dealer to apply the bmw friction tape. Its a door dsign problem for bmw
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

So, we've also got this problem on our 2012 car.
Brought the car back for the second time today, first time they fixed it by applying something onto the door rubbers. And I'm curious what they will do now.
But I don't mind, since I get loaner cars, got a 116i 2012 today
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #25
rchendesign
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

I got my new 2014 X1 3 weeks ago this month, I heard this rattle from right side, but don't know where... The sound appears when I turn right at high speed (about 70mph).
Can it be fixed now?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
dmark1021
Rep
Drives: X1

exactly same, especially happens in rough roads.
I opened the passenger door and tried push the vertical side of dash board. It seems working.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #27
e90pdto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Same issue here!

2014 X1 xDrive28i ~ approx. 1600 miles on the odometer now.
but actually started hearing the noise approx. 1 weeks into owning the car.

It appears to me the rattle noise is coming from the "area" around passenger side air vent.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #28
Yarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 SDrive 30i

Same issue with mine, what gives here? Does anyone know for sure what it is?
      10-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
rchendesign
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

It looks like many people have this problem...
The problem is, the rattle doesn't always happen, and I also can't make the rattle happen every time I want... I think it might be related to the temperature...
I haven't told my CA about this issue because I'm not sure if I can make the rattle heard clearly at the dealer...

Last edited by rchendesign; 10-28-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
DSD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X135i

Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
Same issue with mine, what gives here? Does anyone know for sure what it is?
Just had this problem in the driver's-side door of my X1. Low rattle that sounded like something was loose inside the door itself. Could not find any exterior pieces which were loose. Only happened when going over bumps and at non-highway speeds. Became very annoying.

Took it to the dealer who told me it was likely the rubber trim pieces on the inside of the door and that if they were cleaned and lubed, it would stop. Sounded ridiculous to me, the rattle sounded like someone inside the door, not from rubber trim. Nonetheless, they cleaned and lubed the rubber gasket/trim pieces and it stopped immediately. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
GRDR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25d

Many sources of X1 rattle in X125d

I just finished a 3 month search of disturbing noises coming form the direction of the dashboard in my brand new X125d. I want to share my experience with the Bimmer forum community to help others who are in similar situation. My conclusion is there may be many sources of noise and rattle existing at the same time, some of them temperature dependent, which makes the situation very complicated! There is a general problem, which comes from the fact that you are sitting in one position i.e. in the drivers seat when you observe the noise or rattle and want to deternine when it is coming from. I observed that this can be very missleading. In my case e.g. I heard one rattle coming from the right side of the dashboard. I asked my son to sit in the car and he pointed to the center of the dashboard, and he was right!!! Finaly I found the source to be a loose brake line tube attached to the firewall behind the engine running from the driver side to the disk brake in the front right.
I want point out a few sources I had to eliminate in my car. One big source of noise is plastic panels attached to the end of the engine hood (3 pieces), aspecially the one on the right side of the car. The right side of the car is very cramped and the gap between this plastic part and the vertical palstic cover under the window is very small or even none. When the hood is vibrating (which is natural with a diesel engine, or on rough roads) the two touch and generate ratteling sound coming in to the car through the air vents. You can lift the hood with a little screw which is there for this purpose and kill the noise. Another anoying noise came from a bunch of cables covered with a plastic tube running form the top right side of the engine in S shape to the righ fender. In the 25d the plastic cover is so close to the metal body that during the movement of the engine on rough rods it touches the metal and generates ratteling noise. The metal body brings in the sound to cabin. I was lucjy to discover this because my car is white, the plastic is black and I discovered the white paint on the plastic due to the contact between the two!
These were the most annoying sources of noise, but during the search I found other sources too. In the very front of the car the plastic housing of the fan behind te radiator made a terrible noise when I just touched it, similarly the plastic covers underneath of the engine compartment were generating wery loud vibrating noise. With a little selfadhesive foam I corracted also these.
I try to be modest and not to comment on the workmanship of BMW, but with a little care and foam attached to special palces in the car they could have avoided a lot of work to me and made me a satisfied customer.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #32
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

Mine has rattles and noises but not that bad to go to dealer.
Appreciate 0