XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Konstantinos80
Rep
Drives: X1soon

Transfer an EU x1 to the US. Possible??

Hello a question most likely for our US friends...

I am contemplating moving to the US for a few years (nice job offer) and was wondering, can I bring my new X1 with me???
I heard somewhere that EU imported cars have to pass a certain standard of things before being let through US customs. does a sdrive 1.8 pass the standards? Also something about blinkers and lights...

Any experience anyone?

constantine
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I'm sure it won't be a problem - emissions wise at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

You might consider to have your front lights recoded, so the yellow blinkers also light up when you turn on your headlights. (this can be done by software-recoding). If don't have the Xenon option, you might also want to enable the US-Daylight-Running-Light, which basically is dimmed long distance light, so it wont interfer with oncoming traffic.

In the US they also have red rear blinkers. I don't know if yellow ones are allowed if you move your car "permanently" there. For holiday reasons there is no problem with yellow rear blinkers (at least to my knowledge).

Maybe you also should consider to get your speedometer refittet to km/h and mp/h. I also don't know if it's required, but with miles on your speedometer you wont have to think :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Not a good idea.
Not sure it's worth the hassle. Safety standards are very different between the US and Europe (hey, even an Amarican car imported from Canada requires extensive modifications!).

Imported motor vehicles are subject to U.S. safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control (emission) standards. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance.

Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). EPA will not allow the vehicles’ release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high.

You can find more information here :

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

You will want to check with BMW Germany though. Ultimately, they only can tell you what to expect in terms of mods on your X1 to meet the US Check-list.

I would strongly discourage the process though. If you are to stay in the US for more than 2 years (you didn't not specify) with a permanent work permit (ie Green Card), you can't even pretend to be a temporary resident.
Frankly I would sell the X1 here and buy another car over there and avoid the trouble altogether.
      03-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Konstantinos80
Rep
Drives: X1soon

Thanks! Would be a bit sad to sell the baby though!!

Will have to look into this..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos80 View Post
Hello a question most likely for our US friends...

I am contemplating moving to the US for a few years (nice job offer) and was wondering, can I bring my new X1 with me???
I heard somewhere that EU imported cars have to pass a certain standard of things before being let through US customs. does a sdrive 1.8 pass the standards? Also something about blinkers and lights...

Any experience anyone?

constantine
My guess is that you'll be able to sell your existing X1 in Europe and buy a better equipped brand new U.S. spec X1 in the States and make money on the exchange...
      03-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
My guess is that you'll be able to sell your existing X1 in Europe and buy a better equipped brand new U.S. spec X1 in the States and make money on the exchange...
I would say that this is best option as well. My sister moved to Sacramento permanently about 7 years ago and at the time bought a brand new high spec 325i for the same price that I paid for my VW Golf.

X1 will be in NA soon
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos80 View Post
Thanks! Would be a bit sad to sell the baby though!!

Will have to look into this..
Well, not as sad as throwing another few thousand euros into upgrading your European X1 to US Standards without a certainty to have it pass the TSA rigorous inspection.

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 03-08-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hey guys,

can someone shed some light onto those TSA requirements? I alsways thought German cars are way superior then US-Cars. In fact I thought that the BMW US modles just have some cosmetic changes (lights, mph, hd-radio...) - are there really differneces on security measures like bumpers and stuff?

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Hey guys,

can someone shed some light onto those TSA requirements? I alsways thought German cars are way superior then US-Cars. In fact I thought that the BMW US modles just have some cosmetic changes (lights, mph, hd-radio...) - are there really differneces on security measures like bumpers and stuff?

bye
Darky

It's all in the NHTSA link I posted 4 or 5 posts up...