XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
JetCityMC
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

New X1 i35. Very happy with the purchase!

Hey guys, new to the community. This is my first BMW and I can't say enough how the feel, power and look is on it.

I have a 2013 that was competitively priced and was my favorite color. I couldn't believe the power and quality it has. I've owned Mercedes and usually shy'ed away, but my insurance somehow went down a little and the GLK I was looking at just did not compare.

So questions that I could find eventually is:
? Mods people like doing on the X1.
? What are dangers I should know about.
? Is there a way to install a backup camera or a wireless one to my stock nav.
? Previous owner didn't do an upgrade, does it matter?
? Can you borrow someone's nav upgrade or is that impossible.
? Are there any mileage mods that make the car go above and beyond the ecopro?

Anything I miss?

Thanks so much and look forward to making some progress on an already great machine.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCityMC View Post
? Are there any mileage mods that make the car go above and beyond the ecopro?[IMG][/IMG]
First off, congrats! I recently picked up my X1 as well.

1. You didn't specify the type of mods you're asking about so this list could get pretty long. Since the vehicle shares many parts with the 335xi there are a bunch of mods you can do.

**NOTE**
If you want to add power then change your chargepipe first. They are known to fail even at stock boost levels.

Tune - JB4, MHD, PPK, Dinan (MHD will be in open beta in about a week) MHD is the way to go but you can research yourself.

Bolt-ons - most options that fit the 335xi will fit. Intercooler, chargepipe, downpipe, turbo upgrades, ect.

Suspension - There are options but they are limited.
2. Dangers? This question is a little confusing. I assume you mean known failures that should be considered when maintaining the car? Oil filter housing, tensioner pulley, oil pan gasket, and coolant expansion tank are all common issues.
3. Bimmertech sells retro fits if you are looking for a nicer setup than you can find at Bestbuy.
4. Many companies that offer coding can also update your navigation if that is what you're referring to.
5. No not really. If fuel economy was a concern then the 28i would be the best option.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
JetCityMC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Quote:
? Are there any mileage mods that make the car go above and beyond the ecopro?[IMG][/IMG]

1. You didn't specify the type of mods you're asking about so this list could get pretty long. Since the vehicle shares many parts with the 335xi there are a bunch of mods you can do.

**NOTE**
If you want to add power then change your chargepipe first. They are known to fail even at stock boost levels.

Tune - JB4, MHD, PPK, Dinan (MHD will be in open beta in about a week) MHD is the way to go but you can research yourself.

Bolt-ons - most options that fit the 335xi will fit. Intercooler, chargepipe, downpipe, turbo upgrades, ect.

2. Dangers? This question is a little confusing. I assume you mean known failures that should be considered when maintaining the car? Oil filter housing, tensioner pulley, oil pan gasket, and coolant expansion tank are all common issues.
3. Bimmertech sells retro fits if you are looking for a nicer setup than you can find at Bestbuy.
4. Many companies that offer coding can also update your navigation if that is what you're referring to.
5. No not really. If fuel economy was a concern then the 28i would be the best option.
Quote:
Quote:

**NOTE**

Thanks for the reply.

I guess mostly the mods you say do round out well. My only concern with dangers is the longevity of the vehicle, I've seen some posts that give credence to some things but not sure how I should react.

Wouldn't I just need to borrow someone's nav disk or is it electronic?

I'm concerned with gas because I don't sit there and floor it all day. Plus some electronic mods do help with fuel economy. There isn't wrong with maxing out the best scenario for it.

I guess what I really wish I had are two things. Back up camera (even though I do have nav) and sport seats. I can't stay in the seat for whatever reason Evan as a bigger guy...

Thanks for the reply and hope to see some changes soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I guess mostly the mods you say do round out well. My only concern with dangers is the longevity of the vehicle, I've seen some posts that give credence to some things but not sure how I should react.

I'm concerned with gas because I don't sit there and floor it all day. Plus some electronic mods do help with fuel economy. There isn't wrong with maxing out the best scenario for it.

I guess what I really wish I had are two things. Back up camera (even though I do have nav) and sport seats. I can't stay in the seat for whatever reason Evan as a bigger guy...

With the stock turbo longevity isn't really an issue. I have been pretty hard on my 335i, same engine and transmission, for almost 40,000 miles . The transmission is showing signs of wear but I doubled the crank horsepower, upgraded turbo, so that is to be expected.

Personally I would get MHD when it comes out and run one of their OTS maps. I would also invest in a chargepipe and a intercooler. You will get a decent bump in power without stressing out any of your components.

Bimmertech is a little expensive but they really are what you're looking for as a backup camera solution.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

Sport seats can be purchased but I have never looked into adding them to a vehicle that did not come with them.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
JetCityMC
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

With the stock turbo longevity isn't really an issue. I have been pretty hard on my 335i, same engine and transmission, for almost 40,000 miles . The transmission is showing signs of wear but I doubled the crank horsepower, upgraded turbo, so that is to be expected.

Personally I would get MHD when it comes out and run one of their OTS maps. I would also invest in a chargepipe and a intercooler. You will get a decent bump in power without stressing out any of your components.

Bimmertech is a little expensive but they really are what you're looking for as a backup camera solution.

Sport seats can be purchased but I have never looked into adding them to a vehicle that did not come with them.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The sport seats are an option, but it's something I'm dying for lol. And with the backup camera. I'd kill for one. But I'm going to look into what you said and what do you like for the intake? I'm usually a k&n guy, but it seems that maybe I should move on from oiled.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you like for the intake? I'm usually a k&n guy, but it seems that maybe I should move on from oiled.
I have the BMS intake on my 335i but plan to throw a K&N in my X1. Until a manufacture replaces all the piping to the turbo with their intake I will just stick with a high flow filter.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not into mods, but wanted to welcome you to our community.
I have the same color and pretty much the same interior.
Enjoy your X1, is a nice and nimble machine!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
JetCityMC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Not into mods, but wanted to welcome you to our community.
I have the same color and pretty much the same interior.
Enjoy your X1, is a nice and nimble machine!
Thanks man! Yea love the color so much! Constant compliments as well. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to engaging more!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #9
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Congrats on the new car! You will not be disappointed with the X1 35i. I bet you will be surprising a lot of "performance" SUV owners on the highway. X1 like yours especially without the M Sport package has a sleeper factor to it that when you are as quick as the Macan S or the SQ5 right next to you, it's gonna be fun.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust

Last edited by Xdrive35i2014; 09-14-2017 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
DavidVella98
Rep
Drives: X1 MSport

Nice ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
Congrats on the new car! You will not be disappointed with the X1 35i. I bet you will be surprising a lot of "performance" SUV owners on the highway. X1 like yours especially without the M Sport package has a sleeper factor to it that when you are as quick as the Macan S or the SQ5 right next to you, it's gonna be fun.
Not having the m-sport makes people very unsuspecting. I had a guy in a v6 camaro try and swing around me between two lights the other day, he had the reaction time because he knew he was going for it, but when the 35i got to spooling, from 30 all the way up to 110 where I went through the next light I was leaving him further and further behind.

I wish I'd found an M-sport, I do like the upgraded suspension. The top speed limit increase doesn't really matter to me.

Welcome to the Community!
Appreciate 0