XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Tom_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Would you buy another X 1

Going to replace my 2011 Escape. My wife & I were looking at the 2014 X 1 x Drive 28i

OPTIONS INCLUDE: Cold Weather Package (Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Retractable Headlight Washers), Driver Assistance Package (Rear-View Camera), Premium Package (Auto-Dimming Interior & Exterior Mirrors, Auto-Dimming Rear-View Mirror, Comfort Access Keyless Entry, Lumbar Support, Nevada Leather Upholstery, and Universal Garage-Door Opener), Technology Package (BMW Apps and Navigation System), 2.0L 4-Cylinder DOHC 16V TwinPower Turbo, 8-Speed Automatic Steptronic, AWD, Mineral Gray Metallic, Coral Red w/Gray-Black Piping w/Nevada Leather Upholstery, 18" x 8" Light-Alloy Double-Spoke Wheels, 8 Speakers, AM/FM radio, Brake assist, CD player, Electronic Stability Control, Low tire pressure warning, MP3 decoder, Power windows, Radio data system, Remote keyless entry, Security system, Speed-sensing steering, Sport Line, Sport Seats, and Steering wheel mounted audio controls. It's well equipped. $37,333.00

So If you were to buy another would you?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I'm know I'm in the minority here, but I think that once you get into the $40k MSRP range there are other cars that are nicer for the money. For myself, I got a lesser equipped X1 with only the technology package and lighting package, so mine was around $33k. But if my budget had permitted me to spend a few thousand more, I would have surely preferred a Mercedes GLK or Range Rover Evoque.

I was able to lease mine with no money down, $360/month. But if my budget had been $450-500/month instead, I would have gotten something else, perhaps even an X3.

The X1 is a very nice car, and drives wonderfully. But all BMWs are very pricey on the options, so I would suggest at least looking at some of those other vehicles. Many of the things that are options on the X1 are standard on a GLK or Evoque, and some things that are standard on a GLK or Evoque are not even available as options on the X1. They both are really a higher class of vehicle and more comparable to the X3, but closer in size to the X1.

You also have another crowd here who will argue that the X1 is not a small SUV at all, but instead a hot hatch/sports sedan. Really it is a cross between both. So if your angle is that you are looking for a sports sedan and the "SUV" part means little, then that is a different story, and then the X1 may be one of the best bargains out there. But judging from the fact that you are coming out of an Escape and the options you included above do not include the M-sport trim, then I'm guessing you want a small SUV. I'm not saying the X1 is the wrong car for you, I would just check out the GLK and the Evoque before making your purchase. They are surely worth consideration.

As to your original question, would I buy another? Answer is yes! I really like my car and compared to anything else in that price range, I think it's wonderful. But increase my budget somewhat and I would not add options and instead would get a different/better car.

Last edited by Eric5273; 04-19-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I guess the prices for RR and Mercedes are different in the states. I looked at the Evoque and it was more than 20 grand more for the same types of options. The Merc was close, but too SUVish which I didn't really care for.

Would I buy another, maybe. I think if I could have redone my sale, I would have waited for the 435xi. I love the steering feel and the utility of the hatch. But I really love manual transmissions a lot more. If the X1 was made available with a manual and either gasser, I would buy another in a heartbeat!
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

If you are coming from the Escape you should probably first ask if the car is right size for your needs. The boot is really small. We did not need that much space so for us it is fine. It does not take much to fill it up. Also as said do you want a cross-over or SUV. The X1 is a cross-over.

As for buying it again good question now that the X4 is coming. Knowing what I know now about X1 we probably would but I would work with the dealer to get the sport line in instead of the M-Sport. The only reason we went with the M-Sport was to get the lighter tan seats. I hate black seats and that is what is offered (or red) with the sport line.

However, the M-sport running boards suck. They get dirty and do not seal worth a damn as the seal it an inch inside of the door. So when getting in if your leg hits the board your pants wipe them clean. Really nice in the winter time.

All that said if looking at cross-overs Audi is to finally bring the Q3 to the states this fall. We were interested in one but was not ready for the USA at the time.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 04-20-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Right now you might be able to find a great deal on a 2014 X3 as long as you are willing to take one off the lot. The dealers will be interested in clearly the 2014 models to make way for the 2015 versions. An X3 would be closer in size to the Escape.

If you are OK with a smaller vehicle the X1 will be a better driving car than the X3. Just depends on your priorities.

I have been happy with my X1. The downsides have been:

1. The rear seat is getting a bit tight for our daughter who is 5, though this is mostly a problem on longer trips.

2. The car has been in for repairs twice. Once for the recall and once to replace the radio electronics which crapped out.

3. The second front cup holder is a really annoying solution, especially because it makes the center arm console storage useless.

4. Gas mileage is not as good as the EPA numbers. I can get close if I drive conservatively. However with 240HP I usually do not and the mileage suffers accordingly. My theory being if you are buying a BMW you should be able to afford high octane gas and lower mileage figures.

The plus side is that the car is a blast to drive. If in a few years I have to swap it for a bigger car I'll miss that. Right now it has enough room to hold 4 people and when I need it to carry long objects it can handle them.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

We drove many others before getting the X1.
The X3 is too big for our needs, my wife doesn't like the dimensions.
Mercedes it is not in my taste league, the GLK is too squarish and screams too much SUV. Plus, I never liked Mercedes, they don't have 12 years anticorosive warranty and that for me matters, a lot actually, especially when you drive half of year in snow.
Evoque, was not even close in terms of driving experience, plus my previous reliability experience with Range Rover left me with a very bad taste which I don't intend to experience anymore.
X1 was a winner for me hands down, dimensions are aboslutely exactly what we need, plenty of power, nice transmission, very versatile with the hatch, excellent in the snow. You get a sedan touring chassis with a very nice handling, an AWD RWD biased, which will alsogive you a different experience.
I will buy another one? Absolutely.
In fact, we will always have an X1 in the garage, we found it perfect for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

For good or ill, some of our decision to go with the X1 was predicated on the convenience of the dealership. We have an A4 that we like a lot, but the nearest dealership that's worth the trouble is an hour+ away in a congested metro area.
The BMW garage is literally five minutes away.
We've been pleased with the X1, and faced with the same set of circumstances, would buy another.
Moon
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Udyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x28 xLine

Test drove the GLK and the ride quality is pretty poor. The X1 blows it out of the water.

I've gone to several Range Rover dealers and as a 27 year old, they completely ignored me each time I went in. Never even got to test drive an Evoque. So...yeah, never going to buy a car from a company that treats me like I don't exist.

I'm really happy with my X1, but I wanted a crossover and don't want a big car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Wow, the guy asks if you would buy another and one person gives 5 paragraphs and finally says yes after going through the standard list of other cars. That's like trying to get an answer out of Lois Lerner. My answer is yes without a doubt.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

100% yes. but i would really want to get it with a diesel option once the new model comes out. i love everythang bout my car. its fast when you want it to be, i get between 31-32 if not more mpg's. when i got my x1 i kept it pretty basic, only added sunroof, woodtrim and Valencia orange, heated seats. for me i dont need all the extras. love mine just the way it is. but next time i may splurge on a navi system.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

My answer is yes. The X1-35i for me was the perfect answer. The X-drive means not having to worry about impending snowstorms in the winter. I didn't need a big ute so its size is just right. Most of all it is quite the "sleeper" from a performance perspective, especially off the line. I'm glad I got one before 2016 MY changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

I just checked out the new X4 at the New York Internation Auto Show...frankly it looks small...smaller to the eyes than the X3, and the rear trunk door looked even smaller than the X1. The show car has a 21 inch wheel...which I doubt will make it to the dealer's showroom. The X1 on the show, BTW, is located in the basement, away from BMW's main display area. A blue 35i M sport with 19 inch rollers. If you paid attention to the new car prices, $40K cannot get you anything much better than a well equiped X1. A MB C300 starts at $39,400 now the the 4matic. A GLK starts at $37,800 before options. $40K is still not bad. If I am to buy a new BMW now I will go for the M235i, or the M3. My X1 is my first BMW, so I did not want to jump into something too expensive. I wanted the 328i GT, but it starts at $41K, so the X1, even well equiped, was cheaper than the base price of a 328GT. I really like my X1, but since the next generation will be a Wrong-wheel-drive design, this will be my last and only X1. I will switch to the 2, 3 or 4 series next time. I drive a lot, so leasing is not an option for me. I will keep my X1 for 4-5 years and move on to my next car. If I buy a M car, I will keep it for 8 to 10 years to justify my expenses.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Definitely... Looked at the 28i real hard, but glad i did the 35i. In fact, was just going to keep for a little while but now decided to keep it longer and give to my daughter to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yes, absolutely. Perfect car for my wife and our needs. Will not be considering the next generation because Haldex just isn't worth the trouble. Likely replacement will be a Macan, but haven't had a chance to drive one yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

No I wouldn't. It is too small. I don't like the make believe SUV stance. The gas mileage is horrible for a car so small. And the ride is unbearably harsh. I would have just spent more money and got the Audi Q5 or Audi All road or spent less and got a Subaru Outback.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
No I wouldn't. It is too small. I don't like the make believe SUV stance. The gas mileage is horrible for a car so small. And the ride is unbearably harsh. I would have just spent more money and got the Audi Q5 or Audi All road or spent less and got a Subaru Outback.
Did it shrink after you got it or was this an impulse buy?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Did it shrink after you got it or was this an impulse buy?
My wife convinced me it was big enough. It really is too small for tall people. I am 6' 2" and wife is 5' 8". I guess if we are the only two people to drive in the car and we never put anything in it would be fine. I would prefer if they just lowered the car and sold it as the hatchback it really is. Why take the worse handling for no benefit? Anyway it reminds me of the VW Cabrio I had in college. But at least that had the benefit of being a convertible.

Also the car causes me to drive like a maniac. I am sure it is only a matter of time before I get a reckless driving ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You had a VW Cabrio and now you have a wife?! I suppose it's not always genetic.

I'm 6'2" also and we seem to have tons of room in ours. Of course we both prefer small cars. The F30 was a deal breaker because of its size and the X3 felt enormous.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You had a VW Cabrio and now you have a wife?! I suppose it's not always genetic.

I'm 6'2" also and we seem to have tons of room in ours. Of course we both prefer small cars. The F30 was a deal breaker because of its size and the X3 felt enormous.
I don't get it. But the Cabrio attracted more girls than any other car I have ever owned. I am sure the new Beetle Convertible would do the same. I guess if you never have anyone sit behind you. I was going to put a six pack on the floor behind me yesterday and there was no way it would be close to fitting.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
newclass
Rep
Drives: x1 x35i msport, e46 sedan

I'm 6'4" and I would definitely buy another. Perfect ride height in my opinion. Low enough for good handling and high enough for snow etc., and not to feel like a suv would drive over me. That's what you call the golden medium.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

I would buy again, love the car, it's got a good balance of performance, gas mileage, and comfort. I think the only thing lacking is space.

Not sure I would go with the msport again...though probably....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

I have mixed feelings.

I really love the handling and have zero complaints with the car other than the sound system (which is not the HK) and lackluster navigation system (which is worse than a $150 Garmin). I also like that I was able to get an almost fully loaded X1 for a fair bit less than an almost fully loaded 3-series or X3 would have cost me. And I do think that the height is a good balance between handling and getting a better view of the road. I always very much enjoy driving this car.

The only thing giving me mixed feelings is the size. It's perfectly ok for the city but can be quite cramped when taking a family of 3 for a road trip (depending of course on how much you bring along). I do wonder on occasion whether I might have been better served by the X3. Though I realize I would have sacrificed on the great handling if I had gone that route.
Appreciate 0