XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

What did you cross shop?

Wondering what others considered and why they chose the X1 (or not)

Looking for a good wagony car to handle baby and rear facing seat with enough room to be practical. Still would like a car enjoyable to drive, not a big high SUV, rear wheel or 4wd.

Cars that, on paper, make the list - haven't driven most

Subaru Outback
Infiniti EX (no flappy paddles avail tho which I think is enough to knock it out of contention)
Audi Allroad or Q5?
BMW X1

Any other suggestions welcome, flappy paddles and rear or 4wd required
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Bertus
Rep
Drives: 2007 330i Steptronic

Went for the X1 in the end due to:
- good price
- maintenance plan
- replacement only due in 2015
- run flat tyres: no need to stop in dodgy areas
- rear wheel drive (gives the front a chance to change direction)
- BMW driving feel
- slightly bigger boot than Tiguan
- hope of better residuals
- fuel consumption (sdrive 20d)
- starting to look good now

Upgraded from VW Tiguan, didn't buy again due to:
- diesel models underpowered
- petrol models don't come nowhere near claimed mpg (had 1.4tsi)
- bad residuals
- starting to look outdated
- must pay extra on good motorplan
- no auto option on entry level diesel
- bad plastics
- due for replacement in 2014

However, it is a good car, good handling, nice standard features such as 220v plug and passenger airbag deactivation... Good handling even with SUV feel, more spacious inside than X1.

Also looked at:
- Volvo XC60: very nice but very expensive, closer to X3 though in size. Not as good dealer network in South Africa as BMW.
- Audi Q3: a Tiguan for a lot more money
- Land Rover Freelander 2: not good enough on-road, didn't look much into it.
- Honda CR-V: good price but looks like a giant teapot
- Kia Sportage & Hyundai ix35: unsafe: look at NIHS roll-over tests

Hope this helps, don't know too much about the flappy paddle options on these - sorry.

Also, would say out of these only the Volvo XC60 and X1 fit your criteria, and then of course a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post

-Looking for a good wagony car
-Still would like a car enjoyable to drive, not a big high SUV, rear wheel or 4wd.
Then take a wagon.
-3 series touring
-Ford Mondeo (or fusion it's called in the states?)
-Mazda 6 sportbreak, beautiful thing it is.
Or if you have some money to spend, get the CLS shooting brake, best looking estate like car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
MrSnrub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 02 WRB WRX, 13 Jet Black x28i

I am in a similar position and have considered the same group, more or less, although AWD is a must for me.

I am actually looking at a Fusion AWD tomorrow. It is sedan and not a wagon/hatch, but I've heard great things. I wish we had a 3er wagon here (in the States), but I figure it'd be considerably more expensive than the X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
Then take a wagon.
-3 series touring
-Ford Mondeo (or fusion it's called in the states?)
-Mazda 6 sportbreak, beautiful thing it is.
Or if you have some money to spend, get the CLS shooting brake, best looking estate like car.
Unfortunately, the only one of those available in the US is the 3er, and it's not out yet and only available with the 2.0t petrol motor and an automatic. They'll also have EPS, so the E84 X1 made a better choice for us as the smaller size and extra power were an easy choice over waiting for the F31.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I think this was asked in another thread here? Maybe on another site, but in short
Infiniti ex35, actually pretty nice but I want peformance, not luxury. It squealed liked a pig under my foot when pushed. Backup cameras and voice commands were nice for the price.
Toyota Venza - Under powered and too big.
Subaru Cross Trek (Saw the hp at the dealership and decided it wasn't even worth a test drive)
Wife has a Tiguan so no-go there, and too wobbly.
Q5, too big
X3, too wobbly.
Q3, would consider if it was available in the US.
Audi all-road, nice but Audi's are too heavy and numb performance for my liking.

Merc is getting ready to compete with the X1 with their GLA, it was spotted on Nurburgring last month.
http://www.benz**********/content.ph...potted-testing
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

I was considering a Mini Countryman too. In fact I looked at both that and the X1s again today. I've had 2 Minis in the past so familiar with them, but thought the bigger Countryman might be what I want.

The Mini seems cool and and fun and quirky. The X1 still seems cool and fun, but definitely more of a grownup car. A real car. As someone that's about to turn 40 I think I'm due for a grownup car.

I think I'm going to make myself drive both just to be sure, but I'm already 98% sure I'll be ordering myself an X1 next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
I was considering a Mini Countryman too. In fact I looked at both that and the X1s again today. I've had 2 Minis in the past so familiar with them, but thought the bigger Countryman might be what I want.

The Mini seems cool and and fun and quirky. The X1 still seems cool and fun, but definitely more of a grownup car. A real car. As someone that's about to turn 40 I think I'm due for a grownup car.

I think I'm going to make myself drive both just to be sure, but I'm already 98% sure I'll be ordering myself an X1 next week.
The countryman drives horrible, it reminded me of the Nissan Qashqai we had. Terrible understeer, terrible bodyroll in corners, terrible drivingposition, rear seats are not as spacious as the X1 and the boot is small. Can't match the normal Mini.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
icemilkcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be x1

We test drove the following:
Mazda CX-5: a fairly decent car- great value for the price and great mpg. The interior is very 'business like'- kind of like a BMW really. But just a bit too slow. We're hardly speed demons- but this car is pretty slow.

Jetta Sportwagen TDI: a very solid feeling car. The interior looks and feels great and the trunk is nice and big. Good torquey engine. Slightly dated looking exterior though. GPS nav only comes with the sunroof - and the glass sunroof has no shades. So it's going to hot in the summer. No backup camera neither.

Audi A3 TDI: Same drivetrain as the Jetta, but the interior is just a bit too small. The slanted in side windows make the interior feel a bit claustrophiobic. The model maybe several years old but it still looks smashing.

We were close to getting the Jetta wagon, but in the end wifey decided she needs something taller with better visibility, and faster than the econo-class cars we've been loooking at. So X1 it is.

Oh yeah- we also test drove the Fiat 500c just on a lark. It's a cute little car, but the switchgear has a chintzy toy quality to it, the (base model) seat lacks thigh support and the non-telescoping steering wheel can't quite be adjusted to be comfortable. And the ride is just very busy. Lots of pitching and other motions on the freeway. Wife sat in the back- she said she almost threw up.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
backpackerx
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Wondering what others considered and why they chose the X1 (or not)

Looking for a good wagony car to handle baby and rear facing seat with enough room to be practical. Still would like a car enjoyable to drive, not a big high SUV, rear wheel or 4wd.

Cars that, on paper, make the list - haven't driven most

Subaru Outback
Infiniti EX (no flappy paddles avail tho which I think is enough to knock it out of contention)
Audi Allroad or Q5?
BMW X1

Any other suggestions welcome, flappy paddles and rear or 4wd required
I've driven all those but the Allroad and haven't pulled the trigger on an X1 yet but it's the leading contender.

Subaru Outback-noisy transmission and not enough power. Bigger and good MPG due to CVT transmission. Didn't like it very well at all.

Infiniti EX - 300hp seems fun and it will get up and move but didn't feel a lot faster than the X1 probably because of less torque. Poor MPG. Very small interior and bad rear window visibility. Better bells and whistles and the Nissan/Infinity comfort keyless access is much better implemented.

Audi Q5-I liked this best, even over the X1 but it gets really pricey quickly and is more than I want to spend. Great smooth tranny and good power. Much smoother, quieter ride than the X1 but doesn't handle as well. Bigger too obviously but still a great size for a midsized SUV. Nice car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
Jossen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 to come...

My list consisted of:

Q3(feels like there is no breathing *******, Q5(too big), A6 Avant(for booth *******, Range Rover Evoque(too bling) so that left X1, this appeared to be the 22nd BMW my dad bought in life... So a no brainer!

He is driving his 2nd X6, mom drives convertible 3 Series and bro 3 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

I considered;
Infinity Q35 - really nice but feel too luxurious for my activities (MTB)
Subaru Forester - Antique 4 speed auto for the XT version but I might swap the X1 for the 2014 model
Audi Q5 - too big, fuel consumption high
Toyota Venza - No personality, drive is boring
Volvo XC60 - overpriced
Mercedes-Benz GLK - never test drove but it was on the list, I might test drive the GLK 250 diesel .
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

I will just touch on 3 since there is a lot of repetition here:
Toyota Venza - Too big and too boring, perfect for a soccer mom maybe
Benz GLK - Never test drove it myself, the dealer drove it for me. But the drive seemed boring (but smooth). The interior looked dated compared to the X1 too

The one nobody has mentioned yet is the Ford Edge. I would've gotten this if I didn't get the X1. It is a bigger option, so less MPG, but the interior and drive aren't bad at all. Of course I am talking about a higher tiered model.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandaman184 View Post
Benz GLK - Never test drove it myself, the dealer drove it for me.
Really? Is that normal? Did you not have your drivers license on you or something? Is that a dealer policy on certain makes?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

My X1 should be at the dealer any day now, but I and my partner actually needed a second car from about Labor Day. We shopped a lot...

I was deciding between the VW Jetta Wagon TDI and the Acura RDX when the X1 showed up for test drives. Actually I almost bought the VW - drives well, fairly quiet inside, great diesel MPG and fully loaded at about 29-30K). It does have a mesh cover for pano roof, letting a lot of light in even "closed". I do prefer the solid cover in the X1.

The RDX is roomy, powerful, solid. With the tech package and 2WD, just about 38-39K. Honestly, if they had one color that i thought the car looked cool in, I might have bought it. But it's "12 shades of gray." Even the red color looks muddy.

I did like the Q5 a lot but agree with someone above - just a bit too pricey (same for All-Road). I ended up ordering a fairly well-loaded X1 (Ultimate, Lighting, H/K), and that would easily have been 5K more with the Q5.

I wanted push-button start, so I tried the Outback with the Special Appearance Package, which offers that and a bunch of other high-end stuff (but Subaru doesn't offer HID, as far as I can tell - interesting, for a car company that promotes safety, etc.). It is a solid vehicle, but noisier than the others and feels heavy.

The new Ford Escape has some nice features too, but new model has reliability concerns.

Hope the X1 doesn't bite me in the rear by having reliability issues. If that was my main concern, I'd have gone for the RDX...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Really? Is that normal? Did you not have your drivers license on you or something? Is that a dealer policy on certain makes?
Haha no, I actually use hand controls to drive since I can't use my feet at all. So I can never test drive a car, I usually just bring someone along with me but didn't for the MB dealer.

So my X1 I ordered without ever seeing OR ever driving it myself. Talk about diving in head first.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Thanks for the feedback everyone, trying to sort out the options almost all on paper since it is tough to make time to see anything between work and the baby. I just know I don't want front wheel drive (and as for 4 wheel really prefer s much rear wheel bias as possible), or something too big, and do not want to give up on a fun to drive vehicle with good power.

The X1 seems like a good option for the most part, although I do wish it had rear seat vents and the option choices were not so annoyingly limited to packages within packages, but a real problem is that I cannot find any cars to test drive with things I want to try - especially paddles or non servotronic. Its strangely difficult to arrange for any test drive around here and I'm not sold on ordering options blindly or choosing which model without comparing well..
Appreciate 0