Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Lets talk Cleaning supplies and wash method

Hey guys! I don't know about you but I do love cleaning my own car up. We should start a list of the cleaning products that we use, and find what works/doesn't work, with our vehicles paint.

How I wash my cars is simple. During the Summer I use the 2 bucket method. One with clean water for rinsing and the other with soapy water for cleaning. I also do a prewash with a Foam gun attachment I have for my hose. Completely touch less for prewash.

Summer Wash stuffs

Soaps: Chemical Guys Mr. Pink, Citrus Wash and Gloss, and glosswork. Each soap has a purpose. Mr Pink is my prewash soap, Citrus is for dirty car needs, and glosswork is maintenance washes.

Clays: Switch in between a stash of meguirs that I have and some chemical guys ones. They both kinda suck. Need suggestions on good clay bars.

Waxes and Sealants:
Well Again this is something I'm experimenting with I've used a variety of pastes, and so far all I like Chemical Guys butter wax. (I promise I'm not paid by those guys I just really like their products) As far as sealants go I like Jet Seal all the way. Neither is truly impressive though. I do a machine application for both with an orbital I have somewhere.

Winter wash method:
I use Chemical Guys Ecowash in large, large amounts. Typically 5 gallons used per winter, applied with a hand pump chemical sprayer. Midway through winter I will have the car detailed by a friend that works at a dealer. He pressure washes and waxes the vehicle.

Interior:
My interior gets trashed routinely. I daily drive this car so it gets cleaned when I can, usually by spraying my all weather liners out and wiping the seats with something, usually meguirs interior stuff. Cant remember what it is Ill post it later.
Also heres a link if you guys are interested in the stuff i use.
AGAIN I AM NOT PAID BY THESE GUYS AT ALL. I JUST LOVE THEIR SHIT. IF A MOD LOOKS AT THIS AND SAYS TAKE IT DOWN I WILL.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/

Their stuff is good for a decent price. I used Ammo for awhile and was kinda meh on it. I really am looking for new products everyday so throw your suggestions out there!

The picture is what I dug out of my shed so far.

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 05-02-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

This may seem sacrilegious, but I generally go through winter without washing. On the last reasonably warm day of fall, I'll lay on a coat of Collinite #845 and just let it go until spring. It really seems pointless to keep washing throughout winter, as the car would just get re-salted almost immediately. The wife insists on running hers through an automated wash regularly all winter, and it usually stays clean for less than a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Here in sunny So. Cal were it doesn't rain but a couple times a year.

I wash my E84 and E88 every weekend and mind you they are both garaged... I'm obsessed with keeping them looking as good as the day I brought them home.

I use the two bucket method with a yellow sponge, a pressure washer, micro soft towels to dry and a vacuum that I use to blow air.

I have two black cars and the most damage comes from washing the dirt off the car. That's where the swirl marks come from so to avoid a many of them as possible use a pressure washer to blast off all that grim, bug guts, bird crap and what ever is on the paint. Wash with little amount of soap since the soap helps strip off the wax. Rinse and wipe them down with yellow micro towels (only) nothing else. After wiping it down then I use a shop vac in reverse to blow air. Start with the rear and work my way to the front of the car. Open the doors and blow the water out of all the nooks and crannies. Then I use a spray wax to help protect the paint for the week and it also keeps that black paint just as shinny as the day I bought them.

I use all of the meguiar's products and have use them for over 40 years, never have been disappointed with any of there products.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta D View Post

I wash my E84 and E88 every weekend and mind you they are both garaged... I'm obsessed with keeping them looking as good as the day I brought them home.

I use the two bucket method with a yellow sponge, a pressure washer, micro soft towels to dry and a vacuum that I use to blow air.

I have two black cars and the most damage comes from washing the dirt off the car. That's where the swirl marks come from so to avoid a many of them as possible use a pressure washer to blast off all that grim, bug guts, bird crap and what ever is on the paint. Wash with little amount of soap since the soap helps strip off the wax. Rinse and wipe them down with yellow micro towels (only) nothing else. After wiping it down then I use a shop vac in reverse to blow air. Start with the rear and work my way to the front of the car. Open the doors and blow the water out of all the nooks and crannies. Then I use a spray wax to help protect the paint for the week and it also keeps that black paint just as shinny as the day I bought them.

I use all of the meguiar's products and have use them for over 40 years, never have been disappointed with any of there products.
I used meguairs myself for awhile. I still use NXT spray wax and soap on occasion. So what do you do when you have swirl marks?
      05-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Brazenskies
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xline

Soapy warm water
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

ONR and OptiCoat 2.0, with some carnauba in the cooler months thrown on top. Menzerna for polishes and Chemical Guys for detail spray, metal polish and most odds and ends.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

IMO the finish on a bmw X1 is just not worth all the effort and cost... A quick wash and wax & dry spray once a month... every six months a wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Mine is black sapphire. Any suggestions for daily dusting?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
IMO the finish on a bmw X1 is just not worth all the effort and cost... A quick wash and wax & dry spray once a month... every six months a wax.
Meh I like my cars clean
      05-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

What do BMW dealers use to clean the interior that smells like baby unicorn/seal hybrids got together to make the best smelling thing, ever. I need to know...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I use a foam blaster and a micro fiber cloth to wash. Clay twice a year and Klasse. Klasse is a great one step cleaner, polish and wax.
      05-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps
I use a foam blaster and a micro fiber cloth to wash. Clay twice a year and Klasse. Klasse is a great one step cleaner, polish and wax.
I assume you just use the AIO and skip the SG? I used to use Klasse, especially once I stopped using the SG instructions and didn't let it dry, but just wiped it off. But I like the durability of OptiCoat or the ease of use of something like Black Diamond.

But for neglected paint, AIO can be a great tool to being it back around without having to use as many abrasives.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio
Don't. BS hides swirls better than JB, but it's still going to show plenty. Consider a quick wash with a non rinse wash, like Optimum No Rinse or Chemical Guys EcoWash. Both keep static to a minimum and can be done relatively quickly in your garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:16 AM   #14
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
What do BMW dealers use to clean the interior that smells like baby unicorn/seal hybrids got together to make the best smelling thing, ever. I need to know...
When I worked there they usually did an ozone, during a full detail. Either that or it was an old sock under an interior trim panel
      05-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise
Quote:

I used meguairs myself for awhile. I still use NXT spray wax and soap on occasion. So what do you do when you have swirl marks?
I have had my X1 for 18 months now and still no swirl marks but my 1 series has a few in there and she is four years now. I have random orbital buffer with sponge pads use with a show glaze and then swirl X. But the key is using a pressure washer to get off all grim, dirt or whatever is on the paint must blasted off not wiped off
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio
I would not suggest you dust your car. That's how you get thousands of swirl marks in the paint. It's like using sand paper to clean your car. Just wash your ride you will be happier in the long run
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have had my X1 for 18 months now and still no swirl marks but my 1 series has a few in there and she is four years now. I have random orbital buffer with sponge pads use with a show glaze and then swirl X. But the key is using a pressure washer to get off all grim, dirt or whatever is on the paint must blasted off not wiped off
Never used either of those products before Ill give them a try out!
      05-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise
Quote:
Never used either of those products before Ill give them a try out!
I would suggest the liquid wax, it's the best... It takes about 15 mins to dry and then you can wipe it off. So wherever you start on the car by the time you get back that spot it's ready to wipe off. It will last about two washing or so. That's were the spray wax comes in and I'll use when after each wash to help the liquid wax stay on longer
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #19
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Washed at least once a week (except when cold). I am trying however to go to a very far enclosed car wash where I can take my time to wash it.
Presoak, let it work. Pressure soap after and rinse. repeat presoak and pressure wash. After that hand wash with car shampoo and mitt but without the bucket; I always use permanent flow of water when use the mitt. Washed under the carriage and wheel wells especially in the winter to remove salt and debris.
Washing the wheels like a gynecologist. This is why I bought the M wheels.
Twice a year, clay bar (Meguiars), then sealant (Wolfgang). This thing lasts for months. In the meantime hand wax (Meguiars or Turtle Wax works fine)for the 3M film.
Leather protection once a year (in spring) after thoroughly cleaning the leather (BMW products) I will do it next week.
The engine gets two washes a year, One in the spring, one in the fall.

Inside, nobody is allowed to touch the carpets. All shoes must rest on the rubber mats area.
No food or drinks allowed in my cars. You want to eat, I stop the car and eat.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #20
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

A buddy who's built (and painted) hot rods for about 30 years has always taken his cars to a self-serve wand wash. He sprays everything down with the "Engine Cleaner" setting, then lets it sit for 10 minutes. Then he cycles to high pressure since to get the harsh soap off, re-soaps it with the wand, lets it sit again for a few minutes, then rinses with the spot-free rinse setting.
He buys these microfibre towels from somewhere in Europe (I've never seen them in Canada or the U.S.; they are huge, about 2 1/2 ft X 5ft.)they're big, very soft & fluffy; I think he has a half dozen or so, and he folds them in half and just lays them on the surface, no rubbing.
3 or 4 times a year he'll do a full clay bar & carnauba wax treatment on the car. The one he's got now (32 Ford) is brilliant black, and it's gorgeous. He claims that a good quality clear coat will stand up to a lot of abuse, but dust will grind it off in no time, hence the "no rubbing" policy except when he's clay-barred it and is waxing.
I think he's onto something; I've followed his technique (minus the quarterly clay bar and wax job...twice a year is the most I'm willing to do) for a few years now, and the car looks great, no swirls and shines like a new penny
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #21
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
why pressure wash your paint which can embed grime and gunk in it. hand wash with 2 bucket method. when rinsing, let the water sheet off paint. once dry then use high quality clay bar to get ultra smooth debris free surface in preparation for polish and waxing or sealing.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I discovered a great product when I got into the Corvette world. It's called Zaino Bros., and is only available online. The procedure is a PITA the first time, but the results are remarkable. On my black 'vette, with many coats; a California duster works great between polishing without damaging the clear coat. I don't use mechanical polishers, just hand applied. BTW, it also smells great.
Appreciate 0