XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
excitablered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i Valencia Orange

Angry Injection Problems... Help!

Hi guys,

I have a 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i in Valencia Orange, less than 10k miles on it.

Last week, to my disblief, I started the engine, the car started shaking and I immediately got this message:

"Engine Malfunction: Reduced engine power. Safe to continue, drive with caution. Please take vehicle to nearest service center."

So I drove it around town a couple miles and it was very shaky. I opened the hood and the engine was clearly shaking periodically. I called a friend and they said it might be an injection problem, among other potential issues.

I decided to duke it out and drive it on the highway to try and get home, and after about 10 miles it got REALLY bad. It started to shake so much I had to pull over. I tried to turn it back on and it just wouldn't start up. I got the car towed to the nearest dealership (BMW of West Springfield, MA), and they told me it had a faulty injector and so they replaced all of them.

I got the car back the next day and it still didn't feel 100% right, but I had to drive 200 miles home so I went for it.

TODAY, I got back in the car and the SAME problem happened again. It started shaking badly, Engine Malfunction Error, etc...

Frankly, this is bullshit. This car is only a year and a half old, yet I've already lost faith in its reliability. I don't want to get in my car and feel like it might not even start, or I might have to pull over and get it towed again.

I called up BMW Customer Relations and they said the dealership would have to work with me in POTENTIALLY swapping out the car, but BMW North America has no control over them. They can help push them a little bit, but they can't dictate terms. I feel pretty helpless. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to find out what's wrong with the car, but I don't want the same one. I want a new one that isn't faulty.

Have any of you had any luck getting your car replaced, or anyone you know? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks...

D
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

So one part failed (that happens to be a recent, well known weak point in BMW's) and it's replaced for free and you want a new car?

We had three HPFP replacements in our previous 135i, an ECU replaced, all of the injectors, the dash replaced, tail lights replaced, third brake light replaced multiple times and a few other recalls.

Sounds like you're just getting started. Our X1 has actually only been to the shop for one oil change so far, but I realize things can change quickly.

If I had to guess, since replacing the injectors clearly didn't fix the problem, I'd guess your high pressure pump or even the low pressure tank pump are the real problem. Odds are they correctly diagnose it this time.

Would now be a bad time to bring up carbon buildup and how your low miles are likely to mean you'll need a cleaning rather soon (not covered by warranty)?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
dmark1021
Rep
Drives: X1

I don't think the dealer would give you a new one...
Try getting a loaner car and ask them to make sure the fault is fixed before letting you to retrieve the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
excitablered
Rep

Thanks for the replies fellas.

"We had three HPFP replacements in our previous 135i, an ECU replaced, all of the injectors, the dash replaced, tail lights replaced, third brake light replaced multiple times and a few other recalls." - but you still decided to buy another BMW anyway? Did these things happen in the early stages of owning your car?

"So one part failed (that happens to be a recent, well known weak point in BMW's) and it's replaced for free and you want a new car?" - this one set of parts failed twice in a span of 2 weeks. I've owned the car for a year and a half. It's a manufacturers defect, so damn right it's going to be free. That's not my responsibility to start with. It IS, however, BMW's responsibility to take ownership for a faulty car.

I'm just shocked that this is happening within 1.5 years of owning the car, and the injectors fail twice, and neither dealer has any idea why, and BMW North America doesn't really care. There's no guarantee that this same problem won't happen again. I bought the car for reliability. It's failed me hundreds of miles from home.

BMW of Manhattan is replacing all the injectors again and the spark plugs this time. They have no idea why the original injectors failed (which says to me that this can happen again).

I spoke to BMW NA and they told me that they'll revisit the case if these issues happen again, but at this point they decline my request.

I said, at least give me a confirmation that this won't happen again. Tell me why the injectors failed.

"We don't have any technical information, please speak to your Service Manager."

So you can't actually help me with anything?

"That's all we can do at this time. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

What would you guys do? Suck it up and hope it doesn't happen again? Or keep fighting?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

What exactly are you fighting for? A replacement vehicle? In most states, if the same part fails a third time, you can Lemon Law it.

Our 1er issues all happened under warranty. N54 cars had lots of HPFP issues and BMW issued a longer warranty on those parts. The car was out of service for a cumulative week or so but we had a loaner for all of it.

I'd say that in total, it caused maybe three hours of lost time. Not exactly a huge burden. My M Coupe went a dozen years and 145k miles with no issues. Our 1er was a mess. So far the X1 has been trouble free. I'm debating buying a Mini. I have no issues with BMW reliability.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
excitablered
Rep

Thanks for the insights. Let's hope it doesn't fail again, but at least if the injectors fail again then it's good to know that I have some recourse via the Lemon Law.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by excitablered View Post
Thanks for the insights. Let's hope it doesn't fail again, but at least if the injectors fail again then it's good to know that I have some recourse via the Lemon Law.
How can you say that the injectors have failed a 2nd time when it appears that "maybe" they didn't fail the first time? It's possible, perhaps likely, the dealer misdiagnosed your problem and replaced your injectors for nothing.

I could understand a single injector going bad and needing replacement but if that had happened the car should still run...just not very well. And it would certainly start. However, if one of the fuel pumps was failing then that would affect all cylinders and could certainly leave you on the roadside.

I'm betting the dealer service dept screwed this up with poor troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I do tend to agree with that. Even with multiple failed HPFP's none of those left us stranded, just in limp mode. It was common practice with failed HPFP's to replace all of the injectors and plugs, I'd guess the dealer isn't providing the whole story here.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Doesn't lemon only apply to cars under a year old?* As for this sense of entitlement to a new car...I'm not so sure you're asking for is reasonable.

*Just looked it up, and according to the legitimate sounding (YMMV, lol) lemonlaw.com, New York lemon law only applies to cars within 2 year or 18,000 miles whichever comes first.

So you could still be inside the window of replacement.
Appreciate 0