Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Stupid window trim

Gah, I'm a fairly accomplished auto detailer, I've got tons of experience with Zaino, more advanced sealants and have used Optimum Opti Coat 2.0 with great success, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the stupid rubber window trim on the X1 not to look like it's spent years in the Mohave. Anyone have any luck with this stuff?

It just looks really oxidized, sort of bubbled and off color. I've tried treating areas with Einszett Gummi Pflege and 303 protectant, but it still looks awful. I'm debating taping off the paint and hitting it with a bug brush, but will probably try a few cleaners like P21s APC first, but know those will likely remove the sealant, so I'd like to avoid this approach until I need to do a ground up detail.

My previous BMW's haven't had this issue, did I just get a car with sub standard trim? I may swing by the dealer to check out other X1's. There's another X1 near me that parks outside, I may go spy on his trim after work with the dog as cover...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
pics?
I'll try and get some, but it's hard to see, even in the garage with LED lighting. It's most visible in direct sunlight and my best way to try to describe it is as really aged rubber, it looks dry and splotchy. If no one else is seeing this, I'm just going to assume I got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'll try and get some, but it's hard to see, even in the garage with LED lighting. It's most visible in direct sunlight and my best way to try to describe it is as really aged rubber, it looks dry and splotchy. If no one else is seeing this, I'm just going to assume I got lucky.
I've noticed that my e82 and more so the e84 trim is different from what I've had on my e46/e85/e83. This trim is more textured, its not smooth. I don't know if I would describe it as dry/splotchy... maybe.

I can't remember if I just imagined it, or if I was actually told/read that the texturing was to cut down on wind noise...

Last edited by Bill B.; 01-22-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've noticed that my e82 and more so the e84 trim is different from what I've had on my e46/e85/e83. This trim is more textured, its not smooth. I don't know if I would describe it as dry/splotchy... maybe.

I can remember if I just imagined it, or if I was actually told/read that the texturing was to cut down on wind noise...
Hmm, the E84 is definitely different than our E82 was, but the effect is on pretty much all of the exterior window surround, including the vertical pieces between the doors, which wouldn't have been exposed (I hope) to any dealer installed orbital attack. For lack of a better description, it almost looks like adhesive residue from painters tape, but when I did polish it after deliver, I didn't use tape. Of course I can't rule out that the dealer did, maybe I'll hit a few test spots with 3M Adhesive Remover, or just some isopropyl.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, the E84 is definitely different than our E82 was, but the effect is on pretty much all of the exterior window surround, including the vertical pieces between the doors, which wouldn't have been exposed (I hope) to any dealer installed orbital attack. For lack of a better description, it almost looks like adhesive residue from painters tape, but when I did polish it after deliver, I didn't use tape. Of course I can't rule out that the dealer did, maybe I'll hit a few test spots with 3M Adhesive Remover, or just some isopropyl.
Ok, now I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, now I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Sorry, I may not be terribly clear with this. I'm having trouble with the rubber window surrounds, pretty much all of the window trim around both doors and the rear, side windows, like 2, 5 and 7 here:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I may not be terribly clear with this. I'm having trouble with the rubber window surrounds, pretty much all of the window trim around both doors and the rear, side windows, like 2, 5 and 7 here:
Ahhh. Ok. I'll go ahead and retract my earlier comments then. I was thinking of the door surrounds.

From what I can remember my X1 window surrounds are just like my E83 was. Smooth, consistently black and relatively shiny. I'll double check though tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

I use 1Z Gummi for most stuff. It does fine in most applications. For moderate to severvely damaged rubber, I use the BMW Gummpfledge. It's amazing. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last 1/2 tube and they haven't made it in nearly 10 years. UGH!
I haven't noticed anything going on with my rubber surrounds yet...only 2 months old though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that's the weird thing, our car is in a garage day and night and has only seen rain a few times. All of the seals seem universally splotchy and Gummi Pflege and 303 don't seem to have any impact on them. I'm thinking I'll start with alcohol, move up to P21s APC and then try a bug brush to see if anything will clean it up. Interesting that I seem to be alone on this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Yeah, that's the weird thing, our car is in a garage day and night and has only seen rain a few times. All of the seals seem universally splotchy and Gummi Pflege and 303 don't seem to have any impact on them. I'm thinking I'll start with alcohol, move up to P21s APC and then try a bug brush to see if anything will clean it up. Interesting that I seem to be alone on this one.
Maybe, maybe not. I usually will wipe a dry finger across the rubber and if anything shows up dark on my finger then it's past time for a treatment. If yours does not leave a black residue on your finger then the rubber may have something on it causing the shizzy look. Gl and lets us know if you find something that works...or even if you fail to find something.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Is it possible that you could have stained it? Zaino Z2 for me will stain some black trims. I stained a piece of black pebble trim on a brand new 2013 Santa Fe with it

What about some Ultima Trim and Tire Guard? I have not tried it on my trims yet, but it is because they still look brand new.
Appreciate 0