jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Wink radio business

Hi all,
i've ordered my X1 and i've Some questions for you:
1: i'll have the radio business in my car but i read somewhere that the sound was very bad with it. Have somebody the radio business ?
2: I've not orderd the usb option but i want to connect my iphone to the "aux in" with a cable jack. Is the sound correct like that ?
Thank you for answers and sorry again for my english
      03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Hi, I'll be getting my car soon also with standard Professional radio - so will let you know how I get on with the sound.

To connect the iPhone to the Aux you'll need to get a cable. The sound will not be as good as via USB but should still be good enough. Remember to set the volume high enough on the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
Hi all,
i've ordered my X1 and i've Some questions for you:
1: i'll have the radio business in my car but i read somewhere that the sound was very bad with it. Have somebody the radio business ?
2: I've not orderd the usb option but i want to connect my iphone to the "aux in" with a cable jack. Is the sound correct like that ?
Thank you for answers and sorry again for my english
hi congrats on your new ride.

i have the BMW professional - the sound is decent if you'd just like some music in the background while you drive.

And yes, you will need the Y-Cable from your dealer - which has the USB + Aux-in connection on one end, and the 30-pin connecter the other for your iPhone.

You will be able to select "iPod" on your radio controls, assuming if you don't have iDrive.

You will be able to select, Genres, Artists, Albums, and Lists. If you'd ask me, suppose you have like 100 artists on your iPhone, you'd be scrolling A LOT.

I drove around with just the BMW professional for less than a week before I decided I wanted better bass and clearer treble and vocals. That's when I decided to install 1x4 channel amp and 1xmono-block amp plus a sub-woofer (which goes in the trunk) and now while I listen to Dave Matthew's Band, it seems like I am in a 'live' concert. I decided that I wanted a better sound system and hence opted for JL Audio.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep

Thanks guys for your answers but I won't have PROFESSIONAL radio but BUSINESS radio. In belgium the first radio you have in the car is the business radio and the professional radio is an option. The business radio have just 5 high speakers (i think but not sure that the proffessional radio have 6 )
      03-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

melts - I don't think jmtm has the USB - it's optional, he just has the standard Aux - so he just needs to get a normal supermarket male-to-male cable and connect. He'll thus have to do all controlling through the iPod itself, except volume. But must make sure volume on iPod itself is high enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
Thanks guys for your answers but I won't have PROFESSIONAL radio but BUSINESS radio. In belgium the first radio you have in the car is the business radio and the professional radio is an option. The business radio have just 5 high speakers (i think but not sure that the proffessional radio have 6 )
I doubt it will be that bad. And you obviously don't care too much about the radio hence why bother with it. The rest of the car will be totally fine!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

jmtm - I have played with with the standard radio in the showroom. Since the bass is quite prominent - the first thing to do is turn the treble to max. And then turn the bass down to suit.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep

Thanks a lot again guys i'm less worried about the radio
      03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
HelVan
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 18d

hi. just a note about the y-cable some mentioned here. I bought the usb/aux with my car, and ordered a bmw y-cable thru ebay. But thats not needed at all. If you have usb/aux you only need a standard iPod/iPhone usb cable. Thats all. its charging and the sound is good.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks HelVan, since I've ordered the USB it's good to know I won't need to buy BMW's cable for the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #11
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelVan View Post
hi. just a note about the y-cable some mentioned here. I bought the usb/aux with my car, and ordered a bmw y-cable thru ebay. But thats not needed at all. If you have usb/aux you only need a standard iPod/iPhone usb cable. Thats all. its charging and the sound is good.
Hi HelVan. Just wanna know are you able to control the iPhone from the steering controls? Or directly on the iPhone? I find the controls on the steering a little cumbersome as i have like hundreds of songs and have to scroll through them one at a time.
Appreciate 0