XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Every tire has it's advantages and disadvantages. If your wife was driving home at 11pm, in the winter, in a snow storm, and traveling through a "less desirable" part of town when her tire went flat, you'd be glad she has runflats and could continue home without having to stop and wait for AAA to change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #24
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
Every tire has it's advantages and disadvantages. If your wife was driving home at 11pm, in the winter, in a snow storm, and traveling through a "less desirable" part of town when her tire went flat, you'd be glad she has runflats and could continue home without having to stop and wait for AAA to change a tire.
100% echoing that, all about the choices of balancing the extra insurance how much does that mean to an individual on its perceived value versus the extra cost in monetary, tire choice and comfort...

RFT fore sure has its own limitations, but that extra peace of mind will mean different things to different folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

2013 x28i here. 30,000 miles and I kept getting low pressure warnings. I forget exactly, but the pressure was damn low! It never looked flat, but... And I was visiting family 400+ miles away. I filled it and drove the whole dang way home. No problems! And I didn't have time to drive the 90 minutes to my dealer, so I kept refilling it each morning for a week and a half before I got it (and the other 3 tires....) replaced. So I probably put 600 miles and 2 weeks on a "flat" tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
So how would your situation differ if you didn't have a RFT tire? I assume that you'd have to be towed (although if the hole wan't in the sidewall a can of tire fix might have sufficed). Then the big question is if was likely that you'd lose a day waiting for a non-RFT tire? Possibly not in any reasonably stocked tire shop.

I've heard this story before by other people who've had to wait at least one day to get a replacement RFT tire. I'm still not convinced that the pros of RFTs outweigh the negatives from a car owner perspective.
Most likely you would have to wait a couple of days for a non run flat tire unless you wanted to replace 2 tires. Odds are they won't have the exact model and size tire you have on the opposite wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Bill Cosbys son was murdered changing a tire on the freeway and I am sure he wasn't the first plus all the people run into while changing tires. It is a safety feature.

If you didn't want them the solution would be to take them off the day you bought the car and sell them on here.. I am sure you could get a good amount towards your new tires for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #28
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, did you drive it the rest if the way home? I carry a tire plug kit and a small compressor. I'm imagining you could plug a hole such as that fairly easily with the tire still on the car.
You aren't going to be able to plug that hole. Too big.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

So does everyone recommend buying the BMW runflat tire warranty for the peace of mind (or value depending on how often you get a flat) when purchasing their vehicle? Or is this a major skip? (If not, what is a fair price to pay for X1 tires?)
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
So does everyone recommend buying the BMW runflat tire warranty for the peace of mind (or value depending on how often you get a flat) when purchasing their vehicle? Or is this a major skip? (If not, what is a fair price to pay for X1 tires?)
I always skip it. Discount Tire will sell you tread warranty on your tires if you take it by in the first few thousand miles. Plus they usually have much cheaper pricing for replacements than the dealer too and are much faster.

I think I paid about $40/tire for coverage and have had three replaced for free so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #31
bimmeric
Rep
Drives: sDrive 28i

I brought my car for service and an e90 was just about to enter the service bay. Then this caught my eye...

I literally put my hand inside the tire and I was impressed seeing that the wheel is intact, not flat on the ground nor disintegrated. There were obvious scuff marks on the rim, the young lady driver explained that she hit a scrap metal on the freeway. It's really amazing that she was still able to drive her car safely back to the dealership. Since then, i became a believer of run-flats. This gives me peace of mind especially when thinking about safety of my family.

Last edited by bimmeric; 08-30-2014 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #32
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Well i'm always gone for the Run Flats... Well they may be expensive but they are a whole lot safer and i don't really notice the noise they make but what i know is that run flats can be still used if punctured but for only less than 60 mph and in case of a sudden puncture it doesn't blow out and get you in an accident, instead it actually helps the car stay on course.. So i suggest go for the Run Flats...
Appreciate 0