XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 MSport 35i Ultimate

Bought my Lease - 2015 35i MSport

Just thought I would post up that I decided to go ahead and buy out the lease on my 2015 LeMans Blue X1 35i MSport Ultimate Pkg with 21k miles.

My residual was originally $31k, but they dropped it $3k to put the buy-out closer to blue book. I have the original full service warranty thru Dec 2018 (12 months), then they provided a somewhat limited 12 month warranty (major items only) thru Dec 2019. I have some free cash, and they were not offering particularly great rates (2.8%/5yrs) so I just bought it outright.

I have been very happy with the X1/E84 and the platform (small car based hybrid SUV) in general. I was not interested in the later/current 4 banger S-Drive versions even though the electronics packages on those newer models are arguably better/more up-to-date than the 2015 version.

I did briefly consider a i6 equipped X3 Msport, but I am just not interested in moving up in size (I don't think they are really much bigger .. but ...), and the loaded X3 sticker price kind of put me off too.

So, moving from a lease to ownership and hoping the good driving experience continues.

I will be looking at real tires instead of RF's, and may consider a Level 1 performance flash just to juice the performance, but really, with the i6 twin turbos mine is plenty snappy for my needs.

I will check the thread for tire and flash recommendations.
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Great to hear. I am a big fan of the E84 platform, especially in Le Mans & VO. Stunning colors on these.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'll get her scrubbed up and post a pic. Certainly still looks great after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfschim1 View Post
....?but really, with the i6 twin turbos mine is plenty snappy for my needs.

Oh shite. That x35i doesn't have two turbos. It's single turbo. Didn't they tell you that when you signed the dotted lines.... Twice?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll get her scrubbed up and post a pic. Certainly still looks great after 3 years.
Please do!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Oh shite. That x35i doesn't have two turbos. It's single turbo. Didn't they tell you that when you signed the dotted lines.... Twice?
yeah, I know its not two .. but more of a two stage thing.
still plenty of zoom-zoom
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Quote:
yeah, I know its not two .. but more of a two stage thing.
still plenty of zoom-zoom
Yes, it is a twin scroll, which is quite different than two turbos.

Congrats on purchasing it though!

Last edited by Westies; 12-31-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

all cleaned up and looking spiffy

here she is just back from the dealer detailing shop looking clean and shiny.
2015 X1 35i M w/Ultimate pkg in LeMans Blue/Black Interior.
quick pic in the front drive, with my wife's red Prius in the background

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514767982
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      12-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

need to change the RFT's to better tires

first thing I believe I will do is change the RFT's for a better performing tire.
Its the right time because due to a lucky break, I have 3 that are at the replacement level, and one that's only 5 months old. I picked up a bolt in the sidewall of one of them and had the BMW tire and windshield replacement package. Got the new one for free

But, I feel these RFT's are kind of a pain. Too stiff of a ride and pretty stupidly expensive too. So, tires will be the first thing I change. We head into the Sierra's in the winter pretty frequently, so I'm looking for something that will give me M+S along with reasonable performance. Along with the XDrive, M+S keeps me from having to chain up at the snow line all the time, unless it's coming down in buckets.

Also going to seek out a front plate bracket that fits in the tow receptacle for longer trips where I don't want to get a no-front-plate ticket. I have driven in CA without one for decades, but got stopped in Nevada once, so thats probably a good addition too.

I might also look at Stage 1 performance flash, but I am pretty happy with the performance of this car that it may just be wishful thinking.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your X1 looks fantastic! Switching to non-RFTs will make a big difference. We have the Michelin AS3+ on our X1 35i and they are wonderful.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
e39hamann
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i M Sport

Your car is almost a twin of mine, I just have the 28i but in lemans blue/black with the ultimate package. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Your X1 looks fantastic! Switching to non-RFTs will make a big difference. We have the Michelin AS3+ on our X1 35i and they are wonderful.

Exactly what I would recommend, too. I'll be going that route as soon as the stockers are worn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Continental DWS06 Xtreme Contact ?

in the process of deciding on non-RFTs.
So far I am hearing about:
- Pirelli P Zero A/S
- Goodyear Eagle Sport (tire dealer is a Goodyear shop)
- Continental DWS06 Xtreme Contact

I did see a poll on RFT replacements too, but thought I'd ask here too

thanks for looking and your input
      01-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
hooligan_G01
Rep

I tend to look at the Tire Rack reviews.

Michelin AS3+ would be the logical top choice, followed by the Conti DWS06s and the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S (which are pretty much a tie depending on how much you value the snow ratings vs the dry ratings), followed by the Dunlop Signature HPs, followed by... something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

well, I'm here in SF Bay Area, and we do get up the the mountains several times each winter - when there is actual snow anyway :-)

The Continentals are getting pretty good comments in another RFT replacement thread, so I'm going to look hard at those first.

I have had Michelin and Pirellis on other sporty coups before (Infinti G35S and G37S). Liked them fine too.

good to have choices.
      01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

I had DWS on my previous car and they've been great even in the winter. I imagine the DWS06 should improve upon it. I did find the DWS to wear quicker. But the grip is awesome for an all-season tire. I would say it's the best A/S tire I ever experienced.
I had the PZero Nero A/S and would not recommend especially if you see some snow.
The Goodyears are junk. I had 'em briefly before replacing them with DWS.

My friend has the Michelin AS3 from Costco. Seems pretty good too.

I would not hesitate to pick up a set of DWS06 once my RFTs are done.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

The 06s are going to be a bit worse in the winter. Their benefit is in the sidewall. the DWSs, while great in snow and ultimate grip, had a horribly soft sidewall that left many people with a bad taste in their mouth. Really change the handling of a car.

The 06 was an attempt to improve the sidewall/steering response/floaty feel, while keeping snow performance as good as they could.

Having owned multiple sets of both, they're certainly an improvement...but if handling matters...still look elsewhere.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
The 06s are going to be a bit worse in the winter. Their benefit is in the sidewall. the DWSs, while great in snow and ultimate grip, had a horribly soft sidewall that left many people with a bad taste in their mouth. Really change the handling of a car.

The 06 was an attempt to improve the sidewall/steering response/floaty feel, while keeping snow performance as good as they could.

Having owned multiple sets of both, they're certainly an improvement...but if handling matters...still look elsewhere.
Elsewhere, like the AS3+ from Michelin or do you favor something we haven't discussed, yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

ok, thanks.
Snow handling does matter to an extent, but in the SF Bay area, its really just when we head to the mountains in the winter .. so 3-4 times year at most.

Dry handling is important too, and I get that the stiff sidewall in the stock RFT's would go hand in hand with that, but I am not racing my X1, just zipping around expressways and the occasional twisty backroad or fun mountain 2 lane.

I get that pretty much all tires are a compromise between the various driving environments we all see. I am primarily interested in a little less harsh ride while maintaining a solid level of dry pavement handling.

The DWS06's are still sounding like a good option for me. Price is certainly right compared to the RFT's.
      01-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

I think one needs to manage some expectations here. The X1 in various guises is not a sports car and 99% of the owners out there do not treat it as such. We use it for daily commute, ferrying kids, weekend shopping etc.

One wouldn't be bothered with All Season tires if max performance is required.
So let's keep this in perspective when shopping a compromised all-season tire. In this regard I think the DWS and AS3 are at the upper echelon in its segment. They will handle occasional spirited drives and by the time they give, you have likely exceeded the threshold of public road safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #21
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
I think one needs to manage some expectations here. The X1 in various guises is not a sports car and 99% of the owners out there do not treat it as such. We use it for daily commute, ferrying kids, weekend shopping etc.

One wouldn't be bothered with All Season tires if max performance is required.
So let's keep this in perspective when shopping a compromised all-season tire. In this regard I think the DWS and AS3 are at the upper echelon in its segment. They will handle occasional spirited drives and by the time they give, you have likely exceeded the threshold of public road safety.
I'd do some research. You can put DWSs on ANY car, and if you drive at all spiritedly, instantly feel their soft sidewall. Honestly, a given tire can completely transform a car. You'll easily find HUNDREDS of DWS reviews with unhappy customers. You can certainly choose a tire that offers the all-weather performance you need, without sacrificing steering feel and handling fun. That being said, the 06s are better, but marginally.

Maybe I read your post wrong, but how are you telling people what the do and don't want in a tire?

The E84 X1 is an E90 Xdrive (335xi), with a couple inches of ride height added on (which thankfully can be removed). It handles very much as any BMW 3 series sedan does.

Many people on here specifically bought the X1 BECAUSE of its handling. After all, it's not particularly nice inside, it's not good looking, and it's not cheap. What it is, is a 3 series hatchback...with its biggest ace being the driving experience.

Telling people to ignore that seems ridiculous.

Edit: Didn't you just post about not wanting to add spacers because of the added 40 oz of unsprung weight? Tires are a hundred times more critical. If max performance isn't required for you, why would you care about a minuscule amount of spacer weight?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 01-07-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #22
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

It looks like you are basing your input in reading reviews. As opposed to my own experience. But ok lets go there. Let's tirerack.com reviews. In the nature of statistics there something called sample size. Both the continentals DWS with 51M and 06 with 5.xM miles. They both have excellent reviews and are upper tier of their segment. The larger sample size normalizes extremes and provides more accurate picture of these products. More so i am speaking as a former owner not web mining data to support ones agenda.

The X1 while is a decent handler its class it is not a common sight at weekend track events or autoX. Whether you accept or not our X1 is no M3 or Miata. Owners that take their X1 to track are exception than the rule. You can drive a Corolla S to the track and tell to the world that it handles well but it doesn't change its owner demographics and it's target use. All season tires are about compromises, it comes down to which area you can live with on your driving application.

I suggest you read the poster's intended use of the tires. No track application. Let it sink in.
Appreciate 0