XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

Critic Reviews?

I have a 2009 320i SE Coupe and the other day whilst at the dealership decided to take a look around the showroom, not to buy but general curiosity. The X1 has always intrigued me but I've always had some issues with the looks but could't pinpoint why.

To cut a long story short the sales guy came over and we arranged a test drive for a day later on in the week. I came home and looked at the critic reviews which I have to say weren't particularly favourable so wasn't expecting much on the test drive.

I then had the car all day on Thursday and did about 150 miles testing different road conditions and absolutely loved it. It was 100 times better than I expected and none of the critic reviews seemed to make the slightest bit of sense. Quite frankly it goes to show that you should completely ignore critic reviews and make your own decision.

I was completely overwhelmed at how nice it was and although I had no intention of buying one when I was in the showroom the first time, I ended up buying one today! It's the sLine 20d xLine model and I've added some images, they show exactly what I have ordered but of course are off the BMW site.

As for the looks I had slight issues with I believe it's to do with not looking hard enough. Even before I test drove it and made my purchase today I looked at it a lot harder (if that makes sense) and now I really like it.

Now I am in total impatient mode as I will need to wait until mid March before I can get my hands on it! Incredibly excited!

Last edited by Chrjy; 02-01-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Good to hear, congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

congrats. you'll love it. i only wish i could have a diesel in SC. but either way i love my car and plan to keep it for a long time and am sure you'll really like your car to.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

i waited about 2 1/2 months in october of 2012 and it was the longest wait of my life haha. anyways more you wait the more you'll get excited.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Congrats! Love the colour combo of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Just so you know, not all critics had negative things to say, this guy from Car and Driver loves it and gives a *very* thorough review. He also has the best name, ever.

So, you aren't alone in loving the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for your replies.

The sales guy I was dealing with had a reasonable theory about the critics and admitted that the X1 wasn't as good as it should have been when it was first released but it has now evolved and is much better but some of the critics can't seem to let go of their original thoughts.

I'm not bothered either way as I'm not the type of person who buys something to please others, especially when I'm spending that sort of money!

The only problem I have now is how I sleep for the next 2 months, I ended up waking up early today through excitement, yet it's a long way off yet! It's the first time I have ever bought a brand new car so it makes it even more exciting.

Going to have to think of things to do to keep my mind occupied.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Just so you know, not all critics had negative things to say, this guy from Car and Driver loves it and gives a *very* thorough review. He also has the best name, ever.

Video

So, you aren't alone in loving the car.
That's a great review! Finally a critic who appreciates the things I do. Not only that it's, as you mentioned, a very thorough review too...thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
That's a great review! Finally a critic who appreciates the things I do. Not only that it's, as you mentioned, a very thorough review too...thanks for posting.
Yeah I just watched that review this morning as well...great review! I liked how that guy went over all aspects of the car very clearly. And he does have the best name ever!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

I know what you mean about the X1's looks and never really considered one and had more or less decided on a Q3. My daughter was in the local Mini dealers so I had a look at the X1 while we were there. I was impressed by the spec and deals on offer, so arranged a (brief) test drive. I thought it was more car like to drive than the Audi but was a little concerned after reading the reviews in the press. Nevertheless I could not decide between the two cars. They both had pluses and minuses but past experience of VW/Audis swung it slightly in the Q3's favour. The local Audi dealer didn't seem to keen to sell me a car though, so BMW got my business.
Four weeks to go before I pick mine up - can't wait
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royleblue View Post
I know what you mean about the X1's looks and never really considered one and had more or less decided on a Q3. My daughter was in the local Mini dealers so I had a look at the X1 while we were there. I was impressed by the spec and deals on offer, so arranged a (brief) test drive. I thought it was more car like to drive than the Audi but was a little concerned after reading the reviews in the press. Nevertheless I could not decide between the two cars. They both had pluses and minuses but past experience of VW/Audis swung it slightly in the Q3's favour. The local Audi dealer didn't seem to keen to sell me a car though, so BMW got my business.
Four weeks to go before I pick mine up - can't wait
Congrats, only 4 weeks to go but I guess it will feel like forever. I'll be glad when you pick yours up because that will mean I'll only have 2 weeks to wait!

There is definitely something about the drive of the X1, I just really enjoyed it and when I was 2 miles away from the dealership after having had it for the day I actually felt fed up because I had to give it back...I've never had that before on a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

We all made the right choice with the X1. The person who reviewed the X1 in the video is Csaba Csere...I think. Former editor of car and driver. Long term test reviews are now available on Automobile and Car and Driver websites. For the coin, the X1 is a fantastic, fun vehicle to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Csaba Csere used to be Editor-in-Chief at Car and Driver. He left but still does Contributing Editor pieces for the magazine - mostly reviews like this. I've always enjoyed his work.
Appreciate 0