XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
ptp1300
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i

Going to pick up my new X1 today, should I do the mototune break in?

I mentioned to a friend that I would need to baby my X1 that I'm going to pick up today after doing some paper work. He pointed me to this site: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm not really that knowledgable on cars, what do people on here think about that break in process?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Here's what the manual publishes:

Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road
speeds:
▷ For a gasoline engine, 4,500 rpm and
100 mph/160 km/h.

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kickdown mode for the initial
miles.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km
The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be
increased.

Tires

Due to technical factors associated with their
manufacture, tires do not achieve their full traction
potential until after an initial breaking-in period.
Drive conservatively for the first
200 miles/300 km.

Brake system

Brakes require an initial break-in period of approx.
300 miles/500 km to achieve optimized
contact and wear patterns between brake pads
and rotors. Drive cautiously during this break-in
period.

20-30 years ago, break-in periods were critical. Others may have a differing opinion, but now a days, one doesn't need to baby the car so much. "Normal driving" does quite well.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
ptp1300
Rep

Well yes, I know what the manual says but that site proposes a completely different method. Either way I'm not going to risk my brand new $40k car on it, I'll just drive normally.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

It has been said that BMW performs a procedure similar to the mototune before cars leave the factory. I am playing it safe and following the manual's break-in suggestions to make sure all components are properly broken in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Every dealer demo is given the hardest possible break in, as are press cars. They both seem to hold up just fine, but I'd still recommend going a little easier on your own car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
It has been said that BMW performs a procedure similar to the mototune before cars leave the factory. I am playing it safe and following the manual's break-in suggestions to make sure all components are properly broken in.
When I went to Munich for my ED, I toured the factory where they build the N20 and a few M engines. We were the only English speakers there that day so we had a personal tour guide through the factory. We asked a lot of questions, and one of the things revealed to me during that time was that BMW does hot runs (up to 160mph i think?) on all of its M engines, but with the large volume of N20 engines it produces, it does not follow the same procedures that it does on the M performance engines. I believe it was specifically mentioned that they do not bring the non-M engines up to high speed as they do with the M engines.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

The only break in procedure I have used for new cars is to warm the engine up before putting it under load, ie a couple of minutes. Also for the first 100km or so not driving at ten tenths, ie redlining in every gear, heavy engine breaking etc. My cars have never used oil, or had any mechanical issues.

Varying the engine load and revs I believe is important to breaking in the drive train. Most new engines the manufacturer puts on the dyno get revved through to redline under load after a suitable warm up period to get to operating temperatures.

I think by the time you get used to the new car, and feal confident it is probably broken in.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

I am definitely doing this. In my Engineering classes and Physics classes, all the professors swore by this method and we did motor testing at Penn States Fuel science facility. Drive it exactly how you are going to the whole time... Beat on it and drive it hard. I have done it with all of my cars and never had an issue, and I created somewhat of a freak Stock for stock with a couple of my Camaro's. Being a degreed engineer and having dealt first hand with this, I definitely recommend it!!! I am going to have the JB4 and Charge pipe waiting for my car when i bring it home.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
ptp1300
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
I am definitely doing this. In my Engineering classes and Physics classes, all the professors swore by this method and we did motor testing at Penn States Fuel science facility. Drive it exactly how you are going to the whole time... Beat on it and drive it hard. I have done it with all of my cars and never had an issue, and I created somewhat of a freak Stock for stock with a couple of my Camaro's. Being a degreed engineer and having dealt first hand with this, I definitely recommend it!!! I am going to have the JB4 and Charge pipe waiting for my car when i bring it home.
Yea, I'm a mech e and my friend that pointed me to this is also a engineer working for Toyota, its why I even entertained it.

I can see the reasoning behind the method, but I'm still hesitant to try it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

drive it like you stole it..have fun
Appreciate 0