XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C200 AMG Sport

Question X1 good alternative to 3 series?

Hi all,

I was at the pool a few days ago and when I went to my car I saw, for the first time, an X1 in the carpark. I first thought 'too small' but it started to grow on me. I like the design a lot better then the X3.

The $50,000ish (Australian) price tag may see it getting into my budget in about a year or so time when we see more pre-owned models. I'm just wondering, has anyone had the chance to compare the X1 to the 3 series? And what did you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

I drove both of them - the X1 is my favourite.

The 3 series offers more room and the quality of some interior elements is better than those in the X1. But overall I prefer the X1 because of its look (compared to the 3 series it looks much more exciting to me) and the higher driving position. Technically the X1 is based on the 3 series, so it's basic qualities and driving abilities are pretty much the same.

In my opinion the X1 is great alternative to the current 3 series. But it's all a matter of personal preferences.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
Hi all,

I was at the pool a few days ago and when I went to my car I saw, for the first time, an X1 in the carpark. I first thought 'too small' but it started to grow on me. I like the design a lot better then the X3.

The $50,000ish (Australian) price tag may see it getting into my budget in about a year or so time when we see more pre-owned models. I'm just wondering, has anyone had the chance to compare the X1 to the 3 series? And what did you think?
I chose the X1 over the 3-series estate for a number of reasons:

1. I like the looks, its fresher than the 3-series. Also there is a new 3 coming out in 2011 and I did not want to wait.
2. I need a small 4x4 and BMW do not sell the 3 series iX range here.
3. Like for like the X1 is about 10% cheaper here.
4. Its slightly bigger inside than the 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

Hi all, I just sold my 320i(E90) yesterday.
I found the E90 offer more leg room in the back seat but overall you feel more airy inside X1. The E90 has big boot, I can put my golf bag together with the buggy straight into the boot. With the X1, I have to remove the wheels of the buggy in order to squeeze it in.
The E90 use more soft plastic (they came off after a few year) inside and make it look more classy. The angle of the head rest of X1 cannot even be changed.
The handling is very similar, X1 to me is lighter on the steering, my 320i use 225/45/17, X1 use 225/24/18.The X1 handle bumps a lot better, more comfortable when goes over humps and bumps.
The X1 looks younger and more functional. E90 is a bit conservative. But in a few year time I think I will buy a next gen. 3 series and keep the X1 as the second car.
These small BMW are so good to drive.
So far I am very happy with the X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the good replies so far... keep them coming. I really like big cars but my wife said that she wants the next car to be smaller so a pre-owned 3 was logical choice over a pre-owned 5.

But my logic is that if the X1 is had for around $55k-$60k then in a year or so they might fall to about $40k on the pre-owned market. It may be better getting a one year old X1 then a 3-4 year old 325i (or even a 6 year old 5).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep

I also just downloaded and had a look at the Aussie brochure... it comes with some pretty good standard equipment the 3 didn't.

But the seats are Sensatec... thats sound a bit 'cheap'. IF I do get one in a year or so, I hope the previous owner would have go leather...'

Also, do you guys have the X or the S versions?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I also just downloaded and had a look at the Aussie brochure... it comes with some pretty good standard equipment the 3 didn't.

But the seats are Sensatec... thats sound a bit 'cheap'. IF I do get one in a year or so, I hope the previous owner would have go leather...'

Also, do you guys have the X or the S versions?
I have the X Drive version in 2.0d. Went for the 4x4 has we have some snow in winter, I go into the highlands up north (farm tracks) fairly often and we have a lot of rain so wet roads.

However, for most driving, especially city/highway, the SDrive is more than sufficient. It has better fuel economy as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I have the X Drive version in 2.0d. Went for the 4x4 has we have some snow in winter, I go into the highlands up north (farm tracks) fairly often and we have a lot of rain so wet roads.

However, for most driving, especially city/highway, the SDrive is more than sufficient. It has better fuel economy as well.
Thanks... although I live in the land of the 'out-back' I'm a city boy and 4x4 will probably never be used. My fathers discovery is really only used as a city car and he has all the bells-and-whistles on it.

Even though I'm not even close to buying, I might go and check one out at the BMW dealer if I have time tonight... just to have a look and see if it is something I need to add to the potential next-car-list.

Funny thing is, I emailed a brochure of the car to my wife... and for the first time ever she actually likes what I like... so maybe I will be disappointed when I sit in one.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep

I wasn't able to make it to the BMW dealer to have a look.

But I did some pricing on the interent. The S 2lt Diesel would cost over $60,000 on the road over here... Pretty crazy price... lets hope in a years time there are some good pre-owned options around.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't able to make it to the BMW dealer to have a look.

But I did some pricing on the interent. The S 2lt Diesel would cost over $60,000 on the road over here... Pretty crazy price... lets hope in a years time there are some good pre-owned options around.
That does sound expensive, base price for a 2.0d SDrive SE here in the UK is around $42k (my conversion at £1=AUD$1.64). My XDrive with options comes in at AUD$53k. Sounds like you are being screwed in Oz
Appreciate 0