XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
texasrebel05
Rep
Drives: Black X1 Sport Line

Need new tires at 26K.... suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I am nearly at 26 thousand miles and am close to needing new tires. I have the 225/45r18 contact pro ssr tires that came with the car new.

I don't know much about tires, so I'm asking for some help and suggestions on here. I live in San Diego and drive mainly to Palm Springs and back for work. So I shouldn't ever need winter tires, just an all around all weather tire would be fine.

I'm on the fence about run flats vs normal tires. Don't normal tires last longer than 25k? Replacing tires at 25 thousand miles seems a little ridiculous.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

Bridgestone is supposed to have there new "driveguard" tire out this month. Supposedly it rides softer than most run flats. I don't think they have a performance version, or if that's what you'd want anyway, but it may be worth looking into for an all season.

just found this: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...eason_touring/

Last edited by annoyingmouse; 05-09-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Pretty normal wear for a 3,600+ pound car on decently sporty tires. Runflats used to weigh a lot more than regular tires and had a much rougher ride, but with the latest generation, it's pretty minimal, to the point that for my wife, I've left this car alone, while I changed her previous 135i over to regular tires and it greatly improved ride quality and slightly helped mileage.

You'll save a little money by not running RFT's, but of course you'll be SOL if you get a flat. I had a plug kit and an air compressor in our previous car (and my M Coupe, which also had non RFT's and no spare), just in case. If you're comfortable using a plug kit, this is a fair solution to minor issues, but didn't help the one time I had a sidewall tear.

If you don't mind sacrificing a little handling accuracy and sportiness, you could get a tire with a little more longevity, but I'd be surprised if you could find something that goes much beyond 35k miles. Check Tire Rack for what fits, what's RFT and what's not and what tread life warranties are like. I know Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a 25k mile warranty if you rotate them (which is fine if you don't have the staggered wheels), but it drops to 12.5k miles if you have staggered tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrebel05 View Post
...just an all around all weather tire would be fine.
I'll be taking a look at these when I'm needing my next set.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

For what it's worth, the Michelin A/S 3 feels much better than the Conti DWS, I've got them on my car, a Mazda 3 and a buddy has the DWS on his MS3. Of course it doesn't hurt that my car is 500 pounds lighter than his and 1200 pounds lighter than our X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
texasrebel05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
Bridgestone is supposed to have there new "driveguard" tire out this month. Supposedly it rides softer than most run flats. I don't think they have a performance version, or if that's what you'd want anyway, but it may be worth looking into for an all season.

just found this: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...eason_touring/
Thanks for sharing! I really like what I read online about the new drive guard. Will have to see what kind of pricing they go for once released. Sounds like a really good run flat tire though.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
texasrebel05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post

Thanks for this link also. If I decide to go with non run flat tires, I'll probably get those. I especially like the 50 thousand mile guarantee. Reasonably priced I think too.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrebel05 View Post
Thanks for this link also. If I decide to go with non run flat tires, I'll probably get those. I especially like the 50 thousand mile guarantee. Reasonably priced I think too.
The Conti DWS is a good choice. I have close to 20k miles on my DWS's and I'm very pleased. The ride is improved, they're wearing well, and snow traction is better than most all-seasons. I still mount dedicated winters, but I can keep the Contis on later in the fall and get them back on earlier in the spring. The only real drawback is fuel efficiency. I actually get noticeably better gas mileage with my winter treads - even with winter blend fuel.
Appreciate 0