09-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
vindicator
balllllllllin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

X or Sport line? Help me decide (pics)

Update: If you like the Sport package, pick between A or B
Which one should I go for? The thing is, the X line is configured at a higher price point (about $2k more, because I get the ultimate package).

XLINE:

Sport Line:
A

B

Last edited by vindicator; 09-28-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I love the Terra interior in my wife's X1, but being 6'1" I miss the adjustable seats that the Sport and M Sport offer. I also prefer the X1 in darker colors, so I like both the inside and outside of your X Line car more.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
vindicator
balllllllllin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I love the Terra interior in my wife's X1, but being 6'1" I miss the adjustable seats that the Sport and M Sport offer. I also prefer the X1 in darker colors, so I like both the inside and outside of your X Line car more.
I actually forgot about that, the Sports seats are a big deal...so that may be a big factor in making this decision...I'm 6'7" btw, and the X1 has plenty of head room!
      09-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator View Post
I actually forgot about that, the Sports seats are a big deal...so that may be a big factor in making this decision...I'm 6'7" btw, and the X1 has plenty of head room!
Yeah, my wife is 5'3" and the sport seats are too long for her, yet the standard seats work perfectly. I prefer the sports seats for myself, but it's her car and she really wanted the Terra interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

HA! Funny. I have the same problem. Wife really wants the Terra & matte wood interior...of course not available in the M pkg. Have a real problem getting the X-line at $45k when the M pkg is like a grand more and looks 10x better.

Are you saying the sport seats are longer, as in the bottom part extends further? My wife is 5'3 as well and she hates long seatbottoms.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
HA! Funny. I have the same problem. Wife really wants the Terra & matte wood interior...of course not available in the M pkg. Have a real problem getting the X-line at $45k when the M pkg is like a grand more and looks 10x better.

Are you saying the sport seats are longer, as in the bottom part extends further? My wife is 5'3 as well and she hates long seatbottoms.
Yes, the sport seats do have slightly longer seat bottoms than the base and x-line seats. I don't think it's a huge difference, but it was enough to make my wife notice.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Aside from the unique options for interior materials, I fail to see what the x-line actually gives for its $1900. Seems like a poor value for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

I retract my vote, I like the xline build you have over the sport line, but overall I like the sport line line
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbg2d View Post
Aside from the unique options for interior materials, I fail to see what the x-line actually gives for its $1900. Seems like a poor value for the money.
I agree. Unless I'm missing something and I could be, the x-line should be priced lower then the sports line since at least with the sports line, you get different/upgraded seats.

I avoided all of the lines since quite frankly, I think they are all fairly poor values but I understand why people get the two sport lines since overall they do make the car somewhat better.

I suspect BMW's profit margin of the lines in percentage terms is about 3-5X as high as on a base car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Had originally planned to choose either x or sport. Loved elements of both, and was leaning toward the sport, but saw an mSport and really, really liked the exterior appearance and especially the anthracite headliner and dark crosshatch aluminum trim. With most of the package options checked the price was ony marginally higher. You might want to run the configurator and consider the mSport also. Only regret is not getting the rims on the Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Both are great! Choose the one that will get you more sex.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I wouldn't toss either one out of my garage

Seriously, there really isn't a bad choice with this car. Can you think of any other model by any manufacturer that looks great in all trim levels? Even the wheels, including the base 17-inchers, are all stylish. You can't say that about most BMW's. And we all benefit because there's less chance of your neighbor driving home with the exact same configuration.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I dont think sport line looks that good unless you chose black - then it fits really well.
So if the car is black - sport line, otherwise x line.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

These lines only give you an option of the seat color. If you're not desperate to get corral / Tan color, only need to pay $250 for chrome look (i guess it applies towards roof rail as well?) and $600 for upgraded wheels.

I regret for not noticing the chrome look option for only that small amount.
      09-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
These lines only give you an option of the seat color. If you're not desperate to get corral / Tan color, only need to pay $250 for chrome look (i guess it applies towards roof rail as well?) and $600 for upgraded wheels.

I regret for not noticing the chrome look option for only that small amount.
The Chrome-line option only gets you chrome at the bottom edge of the window sill on the exterior, none of the other silver exterior pieces on the xLine are included. The Satin Chrome roof rails are also a stand alone option.

The Lines differ by more than just the seats and interior color options. Here's a summary of what the different Lines include and their estimated retail value, from what I can remember. I agree that they don't all provide the same value, in fact they are all poor value and profit padders, but if you want a particular color/trim or the Sport seats you have to kick down.

xLine:
1. exclusive 18" wheels, Y-spoke, $600- the price of 18" wheels option.
2. exclusive wood trim option, $0 since you still have to pay for this option on top of the xLine pkg price. The fact that you wouldn't get the Dark Copper trim should make up for the cost of having this material in inventory, so it should cost $0.
3. exclusive floor mats with contrasting color piping around edge to match the color of seats. Worth maybe $30 for the contrasting piping and inventory control.
4. Two tone interior color with Terra or Oyster leather option; lower part of the interior is black unlike the standard Beige which has beige everything except the top of the dash. Note that Leather is a mandatory cost option if you select Terra or Oyster, so I'd say the color choice is maybe worth $100 for them to stock and inventory these large parts.
5. Exclusive Dark Copper interior trim on dash/doors. This should not cost anymore to make than the standard silver trim, so maybe $20 to inventory the part.
6. Two-color piping on the front and rear seats. This may be worth $200.
7. Four embossed headrests w/ "X", can't see them charging people more than $100 for this.
8. Exclusive silver door sills for the front doors that have "xLine" etched. I can't see them chaging more than $100 for these, under the assumption that black ones are standard. (can someone confirm what is Standard?)
9. Lower exterior trim pieces. The front is hardly different, just a tiny bit more silver, $30, the side skirts are different units with silver, $200, the rear difuser style is different with silver insert, $150.
10. Exhaust tip in satin silver, instead of Chrome which is marketed as Standard. (Can someone confirm?). I'd say this is worth $0 since the Chrome part is probably more expensive, which offsets the expense of stocking it.
12. Satin silver front grill slats, $100.

If I add up the estimated retail cost of these addtions I get $1630, so $1900 is way over priced.

Sport Line:
In addition to #1, 3, 4, 6, 8 above, the Sport Line includes:
(Not sure about #9 above, but I believe the lower body pieces are Standard equipment. Also not sure what the lower window trim is like; is it gloss black or shadowline or plain black as the Standard version?)
13. Gloss Black mirrors. This to me is worth $0 since black mirrors are stocked for black cars.
14. Black front grill trim, $100. (not sure about this one, can someone confirm?)
15. Sport Seats! I think they can get away with charging $1000 for this.

So the total value of the Sport Pkg is estimated to be $2130, which is greater than the $1900 price, so it's decent value if you really want all those options...

M-Sport Pkg:
Similarities to the xLine/ Sport Line itmes: #1, 7, 8, 15
(not sure about #2, whether "M" mats are included.)

16. Sport Suspension, $150 for stocking different part numbers, production cost likely same.
17. Exclusive exterior body trim and painted body color. $500.
18. Aluminum or wood interior trim, $500.
19. Anthricite headliner, $200, material substitution and stocking.
20. Perforated leather steering wheel (M edition), $80 stocking and production cost.
21. Gloss Black roof rails, $150.
22. Shadowline trim (assumed to be on lower window sill), $150.
23. Aluminum "M" cover on dead pedal, $50.
24. Adaptive Control for X-drive, no idea how much this costs, $200 software minimal hardware.
25. Performance tires, $100.

So the total value of the M-Sport Pkg is estimated to be $3880, which is much greater than the $2900 price, so it's decent value if you really want all those options...

I'm sure I've missed something, so please chime in to improve this list of differences.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
MSportX1
Private
Rep

For Sport Line and M Sport Line, the paddle shifter is for free - it is $120 standalone option. Sport seat value is over estimated. For 2013 Audi Q5, sport seat is $500 option. So, $500 should be a close estimate for X1 sport seat in Sport Line and M Sport Line.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
kychungkevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive28i

Me too think both lines are not a good value and M sport is much better value. But to me I am living in snow belt and summer tires just can't cut it. If I get the M I will have to get another set of winter tires and that add another $1000+ to the cost which I don't want to.
I want a sport seat so I have no other choice but to go for spot line. I wish the sport seat is stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
AFDnic
Space grey X1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Sport Option B
      09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportX1 View Post
For Sport Line and M Sport Line, the paddle shifter is for free - it is $120 standalone option. Sport seat value is over estimated. For 2013 Audi Q5, sport seat is $500 option. So, $500 should be a close estimate for X1 sport seat in Sport Line and M Sport Line.

Ageed. sounds about right. However, I would have paid up to $1K for it, if I could. Why not make the standalone options available only in conjunction with a Line? BMW, are you listening? do you hear cha-ching? missed that one huh? or would that be too obvious? I think its already very evident that these Lines were created for a larger profit margin so why not admit it?

Any other corrections on estimated retail price of the options breakdown? or did i miss any options? funny BMW doesn't market every option the Lines offer, seems it would benefit them.

Thanks for catching the free Paddles on the M-sport, +$120; they are NOT free on the Sport Line however.

I always look for the best value, but in this case I personally don't like the look of the M-Sport body or the steering wheel. It makes the car look more like a wagon and less SAV. I Like the interior color choices of the x-Line and the exterior silver bits more than the sport seats, so I dug myself into the Line which offers the worst value. The base price of this car is already poor value so why not top it off. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized View Post

Thanks for catching the free Paddles on the M-sport, +$120; they are NOT free on the Sport Line however.
Not so fast, check out the build configurator on BMWUSA. Apparently, to eliminate the confusion about having to specifically request the paddles for the M sport, they've removed it completely as an option (for the M line).

Bravo BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
MSportX1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized View Post
The free paddle shifter for Sport Line has been discussed in another thread. It is a "hidden" feature. Official release announcement does not mention it. But, if you go to BMW web site to build a Sport Line, and then go to Option to select Paddle Shifter, it show $0 price for Sport Line. In this forum, one guy already bought a Sport Line with Paddle Shifter option for free.
I agree with you that the three lines are purposely devised by BMW Marketing Team to increase profit margin. They restrict wheels and interior colors to specific lines only. The wheels for X Line and Sport Line are beautiful and eye-catching. They are unique to X1, and so far I do not see any other BMW models have these two wheels. Like you mentioned, if they allow consumers to choose wheels and interior colors, and make sport seat as standalone option, nobody wants X Line and Sport Line. From comcumers' point of views, probably only the M Sport Line makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Not so fast, check out the build configurator on BMWUSA. Apparently, to eliminate the confusion about having to specifically request the paddles for the M sport, they've removed it completely as an option (for the M line).

Bravo BMW.

Really?

I wonder if they really removed that option on the Order Bank or just from the online configurator. Now, it may only be a N/C option for those who know better.
Appreciate 0