Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

x1 50k maintenance?

Been a while since I been here, forgot the wealth of info and helpful folks on this forum. And now I'm gonna be that guy.

I've done some forum searches and am not getting results that answer my pretty simple questions.

My '15 x1 x28i just passed 50k and I recall from somewhere BMW has a "scheduled maintenance" at that mileage (which I think is why I got a "service due" light recently). Here's what I am trying to figure out:

- If this is a scheduled maintenance interval, what exactly are they checking?
- Is there anything they are checking that is above and beyond what your typical local service shop can do (oils, filters, fluids, brakes, etc)?
- Is there any way to disable the car alarm? Been having an issue when I leave the dog in the car and lock it that the alarm gets tripped. It's effing obnoxious and whoever invented car alarms should be locked in a box with a car alarm going off incessantly for a period of years.

Thanks for answers or directions to answers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Two categories - Actually recommended by BMW and a good idea:

Actually recommended by BMW:
-Brake fluid replace. BMW recommends replacing this very 2 years even though the rest of the car is claimed lifetime service. Really not hard if you get a handheld vacuum bleeder.
-Spark plugs. Pretty sure the recommended maintenance interval on this is 50 or 60k. This costs $45 if you do it yourself, and it is pretty easy. Don't forget to get a thin walled socket.
-Cabin air filter for good measure. Do this with the spark plugs since you need to remove it anyways.

A good idea b/c 'lifetime fluid' is BS:
-Front and rear diff fluid change. Fluid total is $30, Redline MT85 in the rear and Redline 75W90 in the front. This is an easy one. BMW claims lifetime fluid on these, but if you want to keep the car for over 100k its good to do this every 50k (or you drive it like you stole it, like me)
-Transfer case fluid. $70 for the BMW DTF1 fluid and a bit of a PITA to do because you have to remove the TC bracket.
-Transmission fluid and filter change at about 50-60k. ZF recommends every 50k. If you drive the car hard this is a good idea. About $200.

With the above done you are pretty smooth sailing til 100k on regular maintenance.

I had the same dog issue. You need to code out the sensors by changing NSW_FKT_PARKL to nicht_aktiv. (bimmergeeks or Carly) If you aren't comfortable with coding you could always remove the plastic that is to the rear of the rearview mirror and cover the slits you see on the inside with tape - that is where the sensor is.

hope that helps!
      12-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
indierocker7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i

Hey check out the guy in this video, you can skip ahead to 3:25. You should be able to disable the motion sensor with your fob when you have the dog in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
Two categories - Actually recommended by BMW and a good idea:

Actually recommended by BMW:...

hope that helps!

Hope that helps???

Yeah, big big help. A ton of good info, clear instructions, super helpful - thanks for taking the time to lay all that out.

I'll start working on these things and if I got more questions I'll holler back here.

Got a buddy with Carly and we already did some recoding- some of which took and other things did not take. I'll prob just try and see if the double tap on the fob deactivates the sensor as Mr. Youtube video says. Will try Carly after that if no go. Prob gonna avoid cracking open the rearview

If others have things to add- please do.

Thanks all.

Last edited by rangerjake; 12-08-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

It's not in the rearview, it is the 'vents' in the attached picture. Til I figured out the coding trick I would just cover these vents up when the pup was in the car.

Also, I had to code it out because I also coded in that the car would first fold the mirrors and then close all the windows if you held down the lock button. So this made me not able to deactivate the motion sensors. However if you don't code in those additional features Indie has a much better suggestion than me!
Attached Images