Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Another fob and door unlock issue

Hi Folks,

I have scanned the old threads and couldn't find one that matched my issue, so I decided to post.

I have a 2014 35i m-sport with the Premium Package that includes Comfort Access keyless entry.

My problem is when pressing the fob to lock, it locks no problem. When I press the fob to unlock when at the driver's door, most of the time it will not unlock but on occasion it will. When I grab the driver side handle, it never unlocks.

If I walk over to the passenger door and grab the handle, it unlocks all the time.

What I have tried:
I have tried this with the my 2 fobs I have with same results.
I have replaced the batteries in both fobs with same results
I have tried resetting the fobs by using the plugging them in procedure.

Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Mike B
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Not sure what your problem is, but i'm currently having a similar issue, but it's with the tail gate. Last time the issue crept up, a new battery in the keyfob fixed it. But this time, the new keyfob battery didn't seem to help. About 4/5 of the time I have to pop the hatch with the button in the footwell, as it won't unlock for me from the back.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #3
healeydays
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Not sure what your problem is, but i'm currently having a similar issue, but it's with the tail gate. Last time the issue crept up, a new battery in the keyfob fixed it. But this time, the new keyfob battery didn't seem to help. About 4/5 of the time I have to pop the hatch with the button in the footwell, as it won't unlock for me from the back.
That was starting to happen to my 13 X3. I solved it by selling it to Carvana...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
healeydays
Private
Rep

After some testing of "home remedies" I found one that seems to be working. If anyone else is having this issue, you might want to try it and report back here if it worked for you.

1) Using the non-working key get into the car, close the door, and fasten the seatbelt.
2) Insert the key into the slot in the steering column
3) Hold down the lock/unlock button on the dash

-- don't press the brake pedal --

4) while holding the lock/unlock button press the engine start/stop button to turn on the "ignition on" position. This is when all of the dash indicators come on. Continue holding the lock/unlock button.

5) After about 10 seconds the "gong" will sound. At this point you can release the lock button and remove the key from the ignition.

6) Lock the car using the buttons on the key fob and let the car go to sleep (about 2 minutes). Now try using comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Could be one of the comfort access antennas located inside or outside the car ... these recognize the fob on each side of the car ana also let you start with proximity
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

I had this problem after my car came back from the body shop for a front bumper respray. Ended up needing a new driver side door handle as the sensor had "gone bad".

Alternatively, I was having an issue with the hatch a few weeks back where it would lock and unlock constantly. Disconnected the battery and left it overnight, and everything was back to normal after reconnecting the next day. If you haven't tried that you might give it a shot, I have done this for a few different electrical gremlins in my X1 and none have returned.
      12-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Well, after a couple days with the new battery in the fob, my tailgate is working like it used to again. Not sure what the issue is/was since it didn't resolve until a couple days after the new fob battery, but I'm glad it's working again.
Appreciate 0