Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Tire decision made - DriveGuard

TL;DR: DriveGuard.

I have been reading about tires, particularly after having to get one patched recently. (Turns out, I had 2 tires with something stuck in them, but only one tire actually leaked.) More recently, in the dark and rain, I ran over some debris in the road, and the TMPS warning came on soon thereafter. Suddenly, I'm making use of the run-flat capability of the tire -- no patching for this one. But also, no getting out of the car in the rain, on a road with no shoulder to pull off onto.

While the tires weren't quite down to the wear bars, I figured it was low enough to just get a new set. (With the rain you can get in Florida, I prefer having some tread...) Y'all just about had me convinced to go with non-run-flats, but getting the flat in the rain suddenly made run-flats more appealing.

Normally, I'd say that I'd prefer a sportier tire, but the ride has been quite rough with the P7 all-seasons, while I thought it has been just fine for traction, handling, etc. What if I don't really need a sportier, summer tire?

Well, there's very little tire selection for run flats. It turns out that the Bridgestone DriveGuard has the same performance as the P7 AS RFT and is about the same as many other "Grand Touring" style tires, but is said to not be as rough as a typical run-flat, but more like any other GT tire. While I was originally not too sure about it, I decided to give it a try. Yeah, I'm sure I'm giving up ultimate grip, but right now, it seems like my tires are under assault.

My other option would be to get non-RFTs, and get a spare donut to take up trunk space. (Fix-a-flat or plugging wouldn't fix the problem I encountered the other night -- without RFT, it was change the wheel or get towed.) I was looking at high performance all-seasons, which would be less expensive while still better-performing. A summer tire is also a possibility, although I think it would be largely wasted, except that the Firestone Indy 500 tire is really cheap right now, so that would be tempting.

I will probably re-evaluate, next time I need tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I will be curious to hear how you like these.

At one point I thought this was what I would end up with as my summer tire replacements. Even though they probably would have been fine for how little I track the car, I eventually went the non-RFT route so I could get something that I would feel more comfortable with on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 318is, 328i, 340i

Having done a lot of development driving on the DriveGuard, I think you'll be happy. It's a nice all season tyre and has the RFT capability. It will definitely take some of the harshness away that you feel in the OEM RFT. On the flip side, it's a touring tyre and not a UHP or track day product (although many track and Autocross miles have been done on them)
      06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

In the past, I have often appreciated stepping-up to a higher performance tire, and I probably would in this case as well, but honestly, I just haven't been feeling the limits of the P7 all-seasons I had, and the DriveGuards are at least the same if not better. The turn-in doesn't feel quite as laser-sharp as the P7s were, but the ride is better -- it's still stiff from the M-sport suspension, but the tires soak up some of the bumps better. I'll need more time before evaluating the handling other than that. I have no intention on tracking the car, although I so like the occasional "spirited driving".
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 318is, 328i, 340i

Turn in will be a bit slower feeling, as the sidewall of the tyre is not near as stiff as the OEM RFT. That softer sidewall is also what absorbs some of the harshness transmitted through that P7RFT. The wet weather capability of the DriveGuard is quite good.

Good luck!

BML
      06-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

What if you found out that there is no all season as good in rain as MichelinPSS or Continental DW as a second place.

The Pirelli P7 runflat summer tires on my X1 are great in rain, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

What if *I* found out? If I wanted the highest performing tire in the wet and rain, I wouldn't have gotten these. It's a compromise, like so many things. Even so, I've pushed them a little in the rain, and they seem fine.

Normally, I lean towards the high performance tires, and I think they really do help cars go faster, stop shorter, handle the rain better, etc., and yet, I find these "Grand Touring" tires to be pretty good (both the P7s and DGs), even when I push them a bit. They're not so bad! I've had "touring" grade tires on cars that I've hated and upgraded to higher performance tires, but so far, I don't have big complaints about these.

Next time I need replacements, I'll consider higher-performance and/or non-RFTs again.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

They look pretty good, and good price for run flat.

I understand why you might like to keep rolling after a puncture.

Rain seems to bring more flats (lubes up the nail).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
I actually love my P7 All seasons, living in Jacksonville. Not ultra expensive and have great handling for me, personally. I have a bottle jack and patch kit in my trunk so I can fix basic punctures in the tread in a pinch
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

I always carry an air pump. Usually with a nail in the tire, a leak is slow enough that I can get it to a tire place, RFT or not.

RFTs are a mixed-bag. In some situations they are great, some others, they don't help so much. Unfortunately, BMW has used up enough space in the trunk that makes it hard to put a spare there. If it weren't for the battery, there might be enough room to put a donut there. Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Its been raining about every day. I've been pretty happy with the tires in the rain. While I'm sure I would hit the limits sooner than a high performance tire, even with "spirited" driving, these tires have been fine. I would not want to take these to the track.
Appreciate 0