Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
trackzero
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Used X1, need advise

Dear fellow xers,

We recently got a newborn baby and time has come for a little bit bigger car. After we saw/tried our picks, verdict goes to X1 (2011-2012)! Said that i would like to be advised on some things, because no matter how much i managed to read about the history of X1 i still have some doubts:
- Since we plan to purchase used 2011-2012 X1 model, was there any visual or any other major changes comparing to 2010 model?
- Ive seen plenty of models that have silver thing under front/rear bumper but not not on the side (example:http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...W5A5t/$_20.jpg ) , can i add that side silver thing later on to be like retrofit (to look like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA...YwtIU/$_20.jpg )?
- And last but not least, ive seen a lot of models with "normal" navigation screen but also there has been other models with "wide" nav screen. Is there any differences in the functionality or it is just visual thing?

If you have any other advise, please let me know.

Once again my apologizes for a bit longer post, but there was no other way to figure out those answers on my own. Thanks guys and hopefully soon i will become proud X member, with some pictures to share as well

Kindest regards
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Hi,

I have a 2012, Canadian model, with Nav. The wide nav screen you talk about is probably the nav with the Combox CIC.

There was a LCI Facelift in 2013 (when it was introduced on the US market), AFAIK, 2010-2012 is the same.

The gray/silver you see is listed as below:

3AT ROOF RAILS ALUMINIUM SATINATED
3XL EXTERIOR DESIGN CONTENTS X LINE
346 CHROME-LINE EXTERIOR

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
trackzero
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4llr View Post
Hi,

I have a 2012, Canadian model, with Nav. The wide nav screen you talk about is probably the nav with the Combox CIC.

There was a LCI Facelift in 2013 (when it was introduced on the US market), AFAIK, 2010-2012 is the same.

The gray/silver you see is listed as below:

3AT ROOF RAILS ALUMINIUM SATINATED
3XL EXTERIOR DESIGN CONTENTS X LINE
346 CHROME-LINE EXTERIOR

Hope it helps!
Thank you for your prompt response man, really appreciated.

Alright, so X1 from 2010 until 2013 there were no changes.

So in case i buy X that has no "silver spoiler" on side, i can order it and retrofit it after, right?

One more time, thanks man
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackzero View Post

So in case i buy X that has no "silver spoiler" on side, i can order it and retrofit it after, right?

Another option is, you can use vinyl wrap to change the color of any parts of your car.

I'm actually in the process of wrapping my interior trim from wood to like brush metal color but I have to get my car back first.
      05-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
4llr
Private
Rep

Pleasure

Yes no visual changes, but my 2012 as the Combox (search it up on Google, it gives access to Bluetooth Audio, etc.). Not sure that a 2010 or 2012 has it.

Pretty sure you can retrofit, although it might be more simple to find a used one with the X-line trims

Also note that the X1 is pretty small with a baby. My son is 9 months old, I have a Diono Radian seat rear-facing, and I had to use the Angle Adjuster to get some leg room in the front passenger seat. The Elantra of my girlfriend has more room

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Yeah X1 and baby is a tough gig, in the middle works best.

off topic but man you're brave with a small kid in a Radian, I have one too and it's got so little support, i bailed on it until my kid was three. Britax Marathon instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Dear fellow xers,

We recently got a newborn baby and time has come for a little bit bigger car. After we saw/tried our picks, verdict goes to X1 (2011-2012)! Said that i would like to be advised on some things, because no matter how much i managed to read about the history of X1 i still have some doubts:
- Since we plan to purchase used 2011-2012 X1 model, was there any visual or any other major changes comparing to 2010 model?
- Ive seen plenty of models that have silver thing under front/rear bumper but not not on the side (example:http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...W5A5t/$_20.jpg ) , can i add that side silver thing later on to be like retrofit (to look like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA...YwtIU/$_20.jpg )?
- And last but not least, ive seen a lot of models with "normal" navigation screen but also there has been other models with "wide" nav screen. Is there any differences in the functionality or it is just visual thing?

If you have any other advise, please let me know.

Once again my apologizes for a bit longer post, but there was no other way to figure out those answers on my own. Thanks guys and hopefully soon i will become proud X member, with some pictures to share as well

Kindest regards
Congratulation for the new born!

- There is no visual difference between these years.
- The silver color comes in X-Line models (silver accents and roof rails and silver wheels), the black color trim comes in Sport line (black accents and dark wheels).
- Yes, you can always replace the silver/black parts or interchange them even without taking the bumpers off. They are modular so they can be replaced pretty easy.
- The navigation is the same from what I know (?); all are widescreen and the same.

In the end, if you find a well maintained vehicle you will be thrilled with it.
Ours looks like new after 6 years and is a blast to drive, is nice and capable in snow, RWD in the summer and AWD when need it, comfortable and nice. We bought it on spot and decided to keep it regardless of warranty or not. We just love the little guy, it is perfect in any aspect and any weather.
Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

should be fine. Might feel on the small side when you have all the baby gear but it's workable.

The 6AT is pretty archaic these days, and I miss the much better 8AT in the 3er and x3. It's my only complaint about the X1
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
4llr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
should be fine. Might feel on the small side when you have all the baby gear but it's workable.

The 6AT is pretty archaic these days, and I miss the much better 8AT in the 3er and x3. It's my only complaint about the X1
It should be equipped with the ZF 8HP (8 speed) no?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4llr View Post
It should be equipped with the ZF 8HP (8 speed) no?
If he got the x35i, then its 6 speed.