Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 20d MSport Auto

Morse Code?

Hi everybody. I was driving along the road today with no radio on and heard these electronic beeps which sounded like morse code. Very weird. Has anybody else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Hi everybody. I was driving along the road today with no radio on and heard these electronic beeps which sounded like morse code. Very weird. Has anybody else experienced this?
Only beeps I have heard is when the temp drops below 3C (or around there) and of course the PDC tones. The parking sensors should not however be active above 20mph or so. Oh, and I have also had beeps from the BT phone when connecting, sync -ing, not putting on my safety belt fast enough and an open door. Come to think of it there are quite a lot of them.

Was there anything on the driver info display? I think low coolant, oil pressure, windscreen wash will also cause an audio tone.

Its either that or Name:  spock.bmp
Views: 1301
Size:  18.6 KB

PS: Come to think of it I have heard a morse type of tone but that was interference between the mobile and the radio, which was on. Did you have any other type of electronic device with you?
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

I know in some Honda's when you have TP (traffic annoncements) enabled it can beep to warn you that it has lost the station for them.

Maybe it's the same in BMW's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Only beeps I have heard is when the temp drops below 3C (or around there) and of course the PDC tones. The parking sensors should not however be active above 20mph or so. Oh, and I have also had beeps from the BT phone when connecting, sync -ing, not putting on my safety belt fast enough and an open door. Come to think of it there are quite a lot of them.

Was there anything on the driver info display? I think low coolant, oil pressure, windscreen wash will also cause an audio tone.

Its either that or Attachment 497572

PS: Come to think of it I have heard a morse type of tone but that was interference between the mobile and the radio, which was on. Did you have any other type of electronic device with you?
It was not the normal warning pings you get Mario plus there was nothing on display panel. It happened again today bit this time I was parked with engine off and radio off. The only other device on was my mobile however Bt was turned off. It appears to be coming from the radio area. I will need to investigate further. My wife heard the beeps as well so I am not going mad!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Quote:
It was not the normal warning pings you get Mario plus there was nothing on display panel. It happened again today bit this time I was parked with engine off and radio off. The only other device on was my mobile however Bt was turned off. It appears to be coming from the radio area. I will need to investigate further. My wife heard the beeps as well so I am not going mad!!
Hi Dave
I have the same noise coming from the radio area, first noticed it when I changed the mp3 CD Disc, a series of quiet bleeps, it went away when I started to play the disc but when I got into the car this morning I heard the same bleeps before I got the car started up or the radio on.
It hasn't happened since.

May Be a Ghost in the works.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Hi Dave
I have the same noise coming from the radio area, first noticed it when I changed the mp3 CD Disc, a series of quiet bleeps, it went away when I started to play the disc but when I got into the car this morning I heard the same bleeps before I got the car started up or the radio on.
It hasn't happened since.

May Be a Ghost in the works.
Mmm warrants a visit to BMW methinks. I have done some searching and came up with a similar reference to it happening on an older 5-series. In that case it had to do with some sort of short circuit in the front speaker. Details were sketchy but they fixed it with a visit to the dealer.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Mmm warrants a visit to BMW methinks. I have done some searching and came up with a similar reference to it happening on an older 5-series. In that case it had to do with some sort of short circuit in the front speaker. Details were sketchy but they fixed it with a visit to the dealer.
Just heard it again and I think it's the radio reading the mp3 tracks on the disc, when you open a door it must trigger the radio unit to read the mp3 tracks which allows them to be played the minute you switch on the unit.
When there is no disc in the unit no bleeps can be heard when you open the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post

Just heard it again and I think it's the radio reading the mp3 tracks on the disc, when you open a door it must trigger the radio unit to read the mp3 tracks which allows them to be played the minute you switch on the unit.
When there is no disc in the unit no bleeps can be heard when you open the door.
Ok, well spotted, quite possible. Bit like my phone bleeps when I put the key in the ignition. Phone then syncs with the car.

Have you got the sat nav/ audio option?

Ps: I have also noticed that when you take the key out of the ignition, ie the car is switched off completely, a few minutes later there is a soft whine sound which decreases to nothing. It's as if the car goes through some sort of shutdown routine before it shuts down completely. The P light on my auto box switches off only after about 20 min, apparently this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mario - found out where the bleeps are coming from. It is the front passenger speaker. No radio on and no BT on. So now I have 2 faults to be sorted. Other one is my stop/start which doesn't work at all. It did work when I first got car but now nothing happens despite all criteria being met for it to operate.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mario - found out where the bleeps are coming from. It is the front passenger speaker. No radio on and no BT on. So now I have 2 faults to be sorted. Other one is my stop/start which doesn't work at all. It did work when I first got car but now nothing happens despite all criteria being met for it to operate.
Stop/Start could be that the battery is low on charge, heard of it happening before. Should not happen on a new car though, dealer must sort it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Spooky thread.