Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
ccmouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 25i

Maintaining high rev on a race track in X1 with 6-speed automatic

The other day I took my X1 with 6-speed automatic transmission to a race track for a ride.
First I tried DS mode. It was great. But in a 2nd-gear corner, it will instead navigate it in 3rd gear with 3k~4k rev.
I then tried manual mode. So I was entering the corner in 2nd-gear with 5k~6k rev. Great. However it won't hold for 2nd gear. Somewhere within the corner, it automatically upshifts to 3rd gear.
So in either case, be it DS or manual, I ended up exiting the corner with 3rd gear of 3k~4k rev. Then I applied full throttle and kick-down, it downshifts to 2nd again and started to accelerate.
You see the issue here. The slow exiting and downshifting when I get on the straight is costing me 0.5~1s on a single corner.

I don't have any prior experience doing drivings on a race track. Am I doing things the wrong way or is it not at all suitable for such kind of driving, even amateurs' trial laps, where I was not competing my time with anyone/any car?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

ccmouse - interesting, but what on earth do you hope to achieve throwing an automatic suv-lite around a racetrack????
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

I am not sure about the behaviour of the manual mode for your car. My X1 xDrive 2.8i will shift only if I reach redline while in manual mode. Hence, Manual is truly manual for mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
ccmouse
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
ccmouse - interesting, but what on earth do you hope to achieve throwing an automatic suv-lite around a racetrack????
I don't know

But it could be much better experience if it shifts later.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
ccmouse
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifocus View Post
I am not sure about the behaviour of the manual mode for your car. My X1 xDrive 2.8i will shift only if I reach redline while in manual mode. Hence, Manual is truly manual for mine.
Mine is also the case when I'm on full throttle. But when I'm in half-throttle, which is the case in corners, it somehow thought I'm not that much to accelerate. So it shifts up before it gets red line.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I've been really impressed with the handling of my X1. I'd love to take it on a track day :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

ccmouse, it would be great to see a vid of your X1 on the race track.. post up a link if you ever make one!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
ccmouse
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
I've been really impressed with the handling of my X1. I'd love to take it on a track day :-)
I was also impressed. Somehow I did my outlap (where I was slow to study the corners) with only one hand on the wheel. Then I talked to myself: come on this is not road driving.

However the shift issue described in this thread is holding me off from accelerating out of turns.

I'll try to make a vid next time. But this is a road-going auto suv-lite anyway so don't expect much.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Impressive.

I dont have an X1 but my e90 is a steptronic as well. I find the auto doing the same thing but cant do anything except shift manually. it is still a lot better than other automatics though ie benz and audi.
Appreciate 0