Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Velho
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 420dM GC

Steering problems

Hello,
I've a black sdrive 2.0 X1 with 40.000 Kms and 18” wheels. Recently, I've change all 4 tires and after changing the steering wheel start to vibrate between 80 km/h and 100 Km/h.
After several calibrations and changing of another tires, they detected that the problem continue.
At the moment the car is in the bmw local shop. The problem is that they are changing smaller parts of the steering (rubbers, unions, etc.), according to orders of the BMW Group, when the mechanic, shop manager and tires technical, know that the problem is on the steering box.
I’ve the car in the shop over a week and BMW Group doesn’t authorize, yet, the change of the steering box.
Conclusion: BMW Group doesn’t thrust is local shop mechanics.
THE CAR IS IN WARRANTY…!
Does anyone as the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velho View Post
Hello,
I've a black sdrive 2.0 X1 with 40.000 Kms and 18” wheels. Recently, I've change all 4 tires and after changing the steering wheel start to vibrate between 80 km/h and 100 Km/h.
After several calibrations and changing of another tires, they detected that the problem continue.
At the moment the car is in the bmw local shop. The problem is that they are changing smaller parts of the steering (rubbers, unions, etc.), according to orders of the BMW Group, when the mechanic, shop manager and tires technical, know that the problem is on the steering box.
I’ve the car in the shop over a week and BMW Group doesn’t authorize, yet, the change of the steering box.
Conclusion: BMW Group doesn’t thrust is local shop mechanics.
THE CAR IS IN WARRANTY…!
Does anyone as the same problem?
Hi Velho - I had a similar short-lived problem (excessive vibration) after I purchased a new set of 18" wheels and snow tires this year for our X1. There is a small round plastic hub ring that fits inside where each wheel attaches to the car. The hub rings that the tire centre installed on each wheel were slightly too small and so I had a bad vibration (at speed, the wheels began to wobble slightly and not spin in perfect circles). They replaced the first set of hub rings with new ones - size 74mm x 72.6 mm and the vibration disappeared instantly. Perhaps this is something your dealer could check for you. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
ognam
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20

Velho I've got the same problem. Three weeks ago and after 50.000km i changed my tyres for a new set of 18" Continental Sport contact 3 non RoF (before were 18" Goodyear efficient grip RoF) and then the car start vibrating between 80 and 125 km/h. It is really notciable between 120 and 125 km/h. I've balanced three times the four wheels and the problem was still there.. So next week continental will take my 4 tyres and do some kind of quality test in their facilities.. but now.. after reading your cases i'm not sure if the problem comes from the new tyres or there is something in the car.

Any comments?!!! or idea?!!

Last edited by ognam; 02-10-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0