XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
BTECH.au
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E84 X1 23d Sapphire Black

Unhappy Finally got my brand new 23d - and no paddles!

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I wish my first post could be about something positive.

I ordered my X1 23d (Auto) in July 2010 for a November build so I would receive it in Jan 2011 when the lease on my other car expried. Sure enough, all was going well, I even tracked the car all the way to Australia. So finally after all the wait I picked my new baby up this afternoon and to my horror it does not have paddles on the steering wheel. I know that there have been some MY11 changes since I placed my order, but in both the original brochure AND the current one, paddles are standard on Automatic 23ds. I didn't want to leave the car at the dealer after all the waiting so I brought it home, but I am not quite sure what to do now. I've been a manual driver forever and one of the main reasons I bought the X1 (23d was Auto only when I ordered it in July) was because of the paddles. I am sure that BMW made a mistake when they built my car but now I am wondering what my options are.

After I came home, I checked both versions of the brochure and they both say paddles included. I am going to get in touch with my dealer tomorrow to see what we can do but I am hoping one of you BMW experts might have some advice.

Does anyone know if the paddles can be retrofitted to the car? Other than the paddles, I am happy with the car, but I am not sure if I can live with it for the next 3 years as a plain "automatic".

Thanks in advance everyone.
B.

By the way, it's a 23d Auto, Sapphire Black, 18" 322 Y-spoke, Performance Control/Sports Suspension, Prof Nav, Front/Rear PDC w/ Camera, Design Cool Elegance, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi Spk - Today should have been a happy day!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTECH.au View Post
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I wish my first post could be about something positive.

I ordered my X1 23d (Auto) in July 2010 for a November build so I would receive it in Jan 2011 when the lease on my other car expried. Sure enough, all was going well, I even tracked the car all the way to Australia. So finally after all the wait I picked my new baby up this afternoon and to my horror it does not have paddles on the steering wheel. I know that there have been some MY11 changes since I placed my order, but in both the original brochure AND the current one, paddles are standard on Automatic 23ds. I didn't want to leave the car at the dealer after all the waiting so I brought it home, but I am not quite sure what to do now. I've been a manual driver forever and one of the main reasons I bought the X1 (23d was Auto only when I ordered it in July) was because of the paddles. I am sure that BMW made a mistake when they built my car but now I am wondering what my options are.

After I came home, I checked both versions of the brochure and they both say paddles included. I am going to get in touch with my dealer tomorrow to see what we can do but I am hoping one of you BMW experts might have some advice.

Does anyone know if the paddles can be retrofitted to the car? Other than the paddles, I am happy with the car, but I am not sure if I can live with it for the next 3 years as a plain "automatic".

B.

By the way, it's a 23d Auto, Sapphire Black, 18" 322 Y-spoke, Performance Control/Sports Suspension, Prof Nav, Front/Rear PDC w/ Camera, Design Cool Elegance, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi Spk - Today should have been a happy day!
Hi Btech
Just enjoy your X1 and don't let the lack of paddles take the shine of your new purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

to my horror it does not have paddles on the steering wheel. I know that there have been some MY11 changes since I placed my order, but in both the original brochure AND the current one, paddles are standard on Automatic 23ds. ...
Same thing happened to me. Mine was one of the first MY11 builds at the end of October. If you have a look under the bonnet lid there is a plaque with the build date on it. When I ordered it BMW was selling it with paddles on the Auto option but nowhere on the options list did it mention it specifically. Car came without paddles and when I asked the dealer he said that the paddles became an optional extra over and above the auto with the MY11 build. As mine was ordered before MY11 for build/delivery after the MY11 changeover it never flagged up on their system. To say I was pi$$ed off is an understatement, but you know what, I don't miss it to be honest. Yours will still have the triptronic feature which is probably more like a manual anyway.

Couldn't let them get away with it though so managed to scrounge a few freebies for my missing paddles.

Oh, and dealer says they cannot retrofit in their workshop.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

now I am wondering what my options are.

Well, first thing is to relax and stay calm, and enjoy the beautiful weather you are having. Then go see the dealer and see what they say.

Did the ordering guide show them as standard with the automatic? If so, it sounds like you have a good case to get them retrofitted or some sort of compensation.

IMHO the paddles aren't really that great and more of a toy that you will soon grow tired of.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 01-31-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Welcome on the board BTECH.

I think the other fellas gave you a pretty good picture of your options (no pun intended ).

Now, I can confirm that paddle-shifting is fun for the first 15 mns... After that, you just give it up in city traffic and relax with full-auto.

We have DSG-equipped Golf GTDs in our fleet and I think none of the guys have used the paddles beyond the first day. Even in Code3 mode, we rely on the DSG in full automatic.

Now, we'd like to see some pics of your baby...

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 02-01-2011 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Alpha Centauri
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merdeces-Benz B200 Turbo

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

B.

First of all, congratulations on your new X1!

As others have mentioned, the paddles will lose their novelty very quickly. But they were indeed listed as a standard feature for your model according to the sales material, and you made your decision to purchase based on that information given to you. I really hope the dealership will duly compensate you accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
BTECH.au
Australia
Rep

Smile Watch this space

Hi All,

Thank you very much to all of you for responding. I spoke to my dealer today who had already written to BMW. They have apparently acknowledged their mistake and will "rectify" the issue. So while I don't want to jump the gun - watch this space.

So far, I am very pleased and impressed with the way that my dealer and BMW have handled this issue. I thought I'd be in for a hard time.

I also appreciate that most of you think the paddles are a novely. We all have our preferences. As for me, I did once upon a time own a DSG Audi as well and I never once drove it in "D". So it's just me, but I prefer the control of the paddles.

However, things are definitely looking up and I am grateful for all your feedback. This is a great forum.

With all the fuss, I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would of a new car, but I will soon make up for it and post it here for all to enjoy.

Cheers,
B.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

We'll be here to remind you ! :happy 0180:
      02-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi All,

Thank you very much to all of you for responding. I spoke to my dealer today who had already written to BMW. They have apparently acknowledged their mistake and will "rectify" the issue. So while I don't want to jump the gun - watch this space.

So far, I am very pleased and impressed with the way that my dealer and BMW have handled this issue. I thought I'd be in for a hard time.

I also appreciate that most of you think the paddles are a novely. We all have our preferences. As for me, I did once upon a time own a DSG Audi as well and I never once drove it in "D". So it's just me, but I prefer the control of the paddles.

However, things are definitely looking up and I am grateful for all your feedback. This is a great forum.

With all the fuss, I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would of a new car, but I will soon make up for it and post it here for all to enjoy.

Cheers,
B.
Hi Btech, forgot to say welcome on this forum

Good bunch on here with loads of tips and suggestions. Do take the time to read through some of the threads, some cracking conversations on the go.

Oh, and we have plenty of Oz friends on here as well.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Oh year, as Mario's Probation Officer I concurr, GREAT bunch !
      02-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

What?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Oh year, as Mario's Probation Officer I concurr, GREAT bunch !
What????? Mario is out on bail????

I thought he was posting on the jail's communal PC......
      02-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
What????? Mario is out on bail????

I thought he was posting on the jail's communal PC......
Heh, heh, they can't catch me ........... in my X1

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Tsambi
Private
Rep

Hi enjoy the x1. How did you track your car all the way to Aus. What web page did you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsambi View Post
Hi enjoy the x1. How did you track your car all the way to Aus. What web page did you use?
As someone currently tracking my car to Australia, I can tell you that the dealer should provide you with a VIN number for your car and then a link to Wallenius Wilmhelnsen (spelling?) website and then you can go in from there. That'll tell you what vessel your car is on and then you can track it the vessel itself (either via WW website or i use another website called www.marinetraffic.com

It's painful watching the vessel only going a top speed of 17 knots and try and cover half the globe to get here though.

Cheers
      02-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
BTECH.au
Australia
Rep

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have been getting familiar with my new baby and on the whole I am very happy with the car. My dealer says that they are checking with Germany what needs to be done and will have me sorted soon.

As for the tracking, get the VIN from your dealer then go to https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/o...uickSearchPage

Enter the VIN into the Cargo ID field and you'll get the name of the ship your car is booked on. It will not appear until it is booked on the ship - for me it was about 2 days before it was leaving on the boat.

As BMWDave says, once you know your ship name, just go to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ and enter your ship name into the Search box on the top right. (Mine came on DON PASQUALE.)

And yes ... it is a very slow trip. However, it's still pretty cool to be able to see where your car is. If you want to be a real geek, zoom in and use the Satellite view to actually see the ports where the ship docks. If you drag the map around a bit at the docks, you can sometimes see where all the cars are loaded/offloaded. If you're a tragic, like me, you'll check the progress every day and you can even see which specific mooring the ship pulls into at the various ports.

Enjoy

B.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
BTECH.au
Australia
Rep

hi drandazzo,

I ordered mine 8 months ago so I am not sure what the current prices are or how they have changed. I heard somewhere that the price was dropped by $1500 or so. However, I got about a 10% discount at the time which I thought was OK considering the car had just come on the market.

Your price sounds good to me, but I am not sure about what the options cost now (eg. M-Sport wasn't available at the time). As a general rule, I always aim for 10-15% off RRP. If you are a really good negotiator and you catch the dealer at the right time maybe a little more.

There may be others here that could give you a bit more feedback on the current prices. There is another discussion here about prices.

B.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #17
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Price increase for me =(
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

gotta say I love my paddles... you can quickly flick down so youre in the right gear in advance of wanting some "go". The auto then reverts back to D after a little while.

The turbo lag is bad enough that when combined with the time for the auto to change down a few gears your traffic spot is long gone! Gotta keep the turbo's spinning!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Keep on paddling !
      02-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #20
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

I've ordered the 20D because of the paddles I'm very curious which one I'll get. In pics/catalogues there are two different options. Will see this week. I hope I'll get the better one!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #21
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
I've ordered the 20D because of the paddles I'm very curious which one I'll get. In pics/catalogues there are two different options. Will see this week. I hope I'll get the better one!

expected... Maybe you mentioned it earlier, but what colour have you picked ?
      02-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
gotta say I love my paddles... you can quickly flick down so youre in the right gear in advance of wanting some "go". The auto then reverts back to D after a little while.

The turbo lag is bad enough that when combined with the time for the auto to change down a few gears your traffic spot is long gone! Gotta keep the turbo's spinning!
I guess it reverts back to Auto after a little while in top gear?
Appreciate 0