XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #45
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Pluto/Charon and Earth/Moon are the only two systems in the solar system where the moon is a rough order of magnitude size of the planet. It's interesting that there are few craters on pluto- that indicates active geology, which is the last thing I expected on something so far from the sun!

Also...check this out....we flew by Pluto 50 years to THE DAY of our first pic sent back from Mars. Quite an accomplishment to explore the solar system so quickly.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Pluto/Charon and Earth/Moon are the only two systems in the solar system where the moon is a rough order of magnitude size of the planet. It's interesting that there are few craters on pluto- that indicates active geology, which is the last thing I expected on something so far from the sun!

Also...check this out....we flew by Pluto 50 years to THE DAY of our first pic sent back from Mars. Quite an accomplishment to explore the solar system so quickly.
This may be an ignorant person's question, but I clearly don't know the answer. What does proximity to a star have to do with a body having active geology?

I thought active geology results from the body having its own (presumably internal) heat source. Is Pluto's mass insufficient that a (perhaps) iron core could not generate the activity that Earth's does? Are there not other elements that could form Pluto's core and that might also generate heat by being compressed into a core?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #47
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
This may be an ignorant person's question, but I clearly don't know the answer. What does proximity to a star have to do with a body having active geology?

I thought active geology results from the body having its own (presumably internal) heat source. Is Pluto's mass insufficient that a (perhaps) iron core could not generate the activity that Earth's does? Are there not other elements that could form Pluto's core and that might also generate heat by being compressed into a core?

All the best.
This is all obviously speculation, there are so many things we don't know about the multiverse (wow I sound like a fkn nerd). This is all based on the fact that other planets follow the same needs for an ecosystem that we do on Earth. Personally I can't imagine we are the only ecosystem out there, given how uncomprehendingly massive the potential for "space" to be. Also, since we don't even know what's in the depths of the ocean, I can't give scientists the benefit of the doubt for being right.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #48
NitroFreak
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Pluto is interesting, but can't wait to see pictures from Europe. Hopefully, we'll find some sea creatures on that moon.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

People already live in Europe and their are lots of pictures.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-26-2015 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #50
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
People already live in Europe and their are lots pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0