Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Problems with iPod freezing requiring hard reset

Having an ongoing problem with my iPod freezing up.

My wife and I both have an 80GB iPod Classic in our cars for at least 7 years and both use them to listen to music exclusively as we rarely listen to radio or satellite.

Very soon after I got the X1, the iPod started freezing up about every 1-2 weeks, something that I had never seen before with my previous car (a 2001 M Roadster with a 3rd party iPod interface). I am using a white Apple USB cable to connect to the USB port in front of the shifter.

When the iPod freezes, the song that is playing stops immediately. When this occurs, I find that the only solution is to perform a hard reset (pressing the middle and Menu together until the Apple logo appears and it reboots). The iPod then also disappears from the External Media list until rebooted.

To determine if the problem was with my iPod and not the car, I swapped the iPod from my wife's car with mine but her's also froze up within 5 days.

I have installed the latest software upgrades available from this site: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

When the iPod is working, I really like it. The sound quality is excellent, I have full access to my playlists, album art shows up on the display and the next/previous track buttons on the steering wheel all work properly. But I'm getting tired of having to do hard resets on the iPod every so often.

Anyone have any suggestions to a more permanent solution?

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Have you tried to relocate it to the glove box and use the USB port there instead?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

My 2014 s28i had the BMW iPod cable in glove compartment when I received it.

I was about to order that cable since I read that was the only one that would work.

Imo it's the cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Granted, I have a 2013, but my iPod only works if I use a double plug-in. I have to use the mini plug, and the USB simultaneously. Sound quality is sub-par, and about the only thing the USB port does, is charge the pod. I've gone to using flash drives that I load with different music. Not much screen data, except for the song name; but I can live with it, and the sound quality is better. BTW, I've used 3 different cords.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Have you tried to relocate it to the glove box and use the USB port there instead?
It is my understanding that the glove box USB port cannot be used for playing music but only for importing music into the internal hard disk. As such, an iPod can only be used on the front USB port.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update:

Yesterday I borrowed my wife's iPod Touch (current version) and am now using it in my car. My objective is to see if a different iPod model makes any difference to the situation. Ir will take at least 1-2 weeks to know if the new iPod is experiencing the same problems but I'll post an update once I know more.

One immediate benefit that I've noted is that I can update the music on the iPod Touch from my computer wirelessly. My iPod Classic needed to be removed from the car and attached to my computer to update any music.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
It is my understanding that the glove box USB port cannot be used for playing music but only for importing music into the internal hard disk. As such, an iPod can only be used on the front USB port.
Well, your understanding would be correct. When I got my X1 in Nov 2012 I set it up to play by BT and used the glove box USB only for charging purposes. I'd forgotten that it was playing by BT. Thanks for the reminder/correction.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
mostundudelike
Rep
Drives: X1

To answer the question that was asked, yes, this is a known bug, and seems to affect only the "classic" iPods (with hard drives). It happens for me maybe once a month with pretty hard use.

Been a problem for a very long time. Most people have just moved on to a new FLASH-based iPod. Details and rants at the below link -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3826001
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

None of this does one any good, if you don't have the BT/USB upgrade option, which forces you to buy the tech. package. (which I don't have)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I've notice some differences in how my iPod Classic behaves now that it's winter.

When I was driving the car in the summer time, the iPod would freeze up at least once a week. In many cases, doing a reset of the iPod did not fix the problem. Now that it's winter, I think I know why as the same iPod seems to work reliably for about a month at a time.

My theory is that this is heat related. I keep my iPod tucked inside the small compartment underneath the stereo which is on top of the transmission. I think that in the hotter temperatures, the hard disk inside the iPod Classic is shutting down and now that it's colder it's working much more reliably.

The comments about using a flash-based player like the iPod Touch would make sense as it doesn't have a spinning hard disk and is probably less susceptible to heat issues.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
mostundudelike
Rep
Drives: X1

Maybe right on the thermal issue, as I've seen that theory elsewhere. But I think the regional temperature variation would point to hard evidence. I live in Texas, where it gets hot hot. The iPod stays in the car all the time, and it can easily be in the 110+ range (Fahrenheight) outside in the day and much hotter in the vehicle when I get in a start the iPod. If it was going to fail I would expect it then.

I've also seen thoughts that it's electrical noise due to voltage regulation. Not sure I buy this theory either. The iPod is pretty well electrically isolated from the raw voltage variation when plugged into the USB.

Personally I think it's a firmware bug. I suspect that the X1 gets data corruption on the cable leading to random uncorrectable errors and resulting in an illegal command being issued to the iPod. In these cases a product like an iPod will be designed to freeze to prevent data corruption from being accidentally and silently written to the disk. (I work on servers and we do a similar thing when the hard disk controller get confused.)

It could be a combination of both. Temperature may drive a higher rate of errors, and some specific vehicles may just be more susceptible.

It's annoying, but survivable, especially if you want 180GB of uncompressed music.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
I've notice some differences in how my iPod Classic behaves now that it's winter.

When I was driving the car in the summer time, the iPod would freeze up at least once a week. In many cases, doing a reset of the iPod did not fix the problem. Now that it's winter, I think I know why as the same iPod seems to work reliably for about a month at a time.

My theory is that this is heat related. I keep my iPod tucked inside the small compartment underneath the stereo which is on top of the transmission. I think that in the hotter temperatures, the hard disk inside the iPod Classic is shutting down and now that it's colder it's working much more reliably.

The comments about using a flash-based player like the iPod Touch would make sense as it doesn't have a spinning hard disk and is probably less susceptible to heat issues.
For convenience and safety reasons I decided to use a thumb USB flash drive. No iPod, nothing for burglars, no cable, etc. You can pick the list,artist, song, etc. and works very well.
Just a sugestion...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
For convenience and safety reasons I decided to use a thumb USB flash drive. No iPod, nothing for burglars, no cable, etc. You can pick the list,artist, song, etc. and works very well.
Just a sugestion...
I haven't got the knack yet, of using the flash drives. Every one I've made will only play a fraction of the songs, even when I scroll to next song. I end up with 15G of music, but only .05G plays. They've been both mp3, and mpeg format. I always input whole albums, instead of individual songs, and it seems the car will only play one song from each album; over, and over...

Once again; no nav, no tech, no HK. Why would the designer put in USBs that weren't? My wife's 5 year old Ford's USBs work perfectly. So does the keyless entry, now that I think about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Solution, turn off the iPod and use the radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Solution, turn off the iPod and use the radio.
Blasphemy!
Appreciate 0