XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X128i LeMans Blue M Sport

No more run flats

Replaced the Pirelli P7's with Conti DW's. What a difference FWIW I advise everyone who can get by without a spare to ditch the run flats. I had done this with my E90 but the difference was not as dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninjax View Post
Replaced the Pirelli P7's with Conti DW's. What a difference FWIW I advise everyone who can get by without a spare to ditch the run flats. I had done this with my E90 but the difference was not as dramatic.
I appreciate your suggestion, but can you elaborate? Why did you ditch the run flats? Price? Harsh ride? And what did the Continental DWS offer you? A softer ride? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

Quieter, more compliant over bumps, expansion joins etc. More grip in turns, shorter stopping distance. I enjoyed my car before however I feel this is how the car was meant to handle. Replacing run flats is much more expensive that conventional tires.Also the are the DW tires not DWS which are all season.

Last edited by johninjax; 06-26-2014 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: add on
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
The only thing that RFTs do better than normal tires is driving with no pressure. Everything else, normal tires are better at. They weigh less, they handle better, they ride smoother and they cost less. I hate RFTs but there's no place to put a donuts spare on BMWs anymore.
      06-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

I've kept a compressor in the car since 08, as well as having AAA.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Since the car and tires (RFT) are new decided to

protect the wife when she drives to insurance the tires thru Discount Tires with a full coverage $170. Waiting until they are worn to buy the non-RFT.

Quote:
I've kept a compressor in the car since 08, as well as having AAA.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Quieter, more compliant over bumps, expansion joins etc. More grip in turns, shorter stopping distance. I enjoyed my car before however I feel this is how the car was meant to handle. Replacing run flats is much more expensive that conventional tires.Also the are the DW tires not DWS which are all season.
Thanks! Good to know. I will consider the same when it's time to replace the RFTs. Only 10K miles so far so I've got a ways to go. Though here in Asheville i'll need an all-season tire. That's why I was looking at the DWS.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
Thanks! Good to know. I will consider the same when it's time to replace the RFTs. Only 10K miles so far so I've got a ways to go. Though here in Asheville i'll need an all-season tire. That's why I was looking at the DWS.
There are a lot of influences on this number but I have the sDrive and had to replace my rear Pirelli Sport Summer RFTs at 12K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
MNTim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x35i xLine

I'm interested in this thread because frankly, I'm not impressed with the X1 sport-line ride quality and am fairly sure it's because of the 18" RFTs (my X1 has Continental RFTs). I think the ride is harsh and bouncy and generally sucks for a vehicle in this price range. Now, my E90 had the same tire but on 17" rims and I thought the ride was pretty decent, but, I think the 3-series suspension has a few refinements that the X1 or 1-series vehicles don't (can anyone confirm that?). So, I'm debating either getting 18" non-RFTs installed on my sport wheels and, or just say the hell with it and get some non-RFTs and some 17" wheels and be done with it (but still have the sport seats . Any/all opinions welcome, these wheel/tire experiments can get expensive!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I have a sport line and I find the ride very well balanced. I have my tyre pressure all round on the front spec though. I find the rear too lose/bumpy if I fill it to spec.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I test drove both the x-line (18s) and the no line (17s) and found the 17s to give a MUCH better ride quality, so I passed on the different lines and went with the no line version as the roads here in the Northeast are pretty terrible quality. For someone who lives down south or in an area where the roads are pretty smooth, this may not be as big of an issue and the 18s probably would be fine.

Keep in mind that the larger wheel/tire size does not really do much to improve handling and is mostly just for looks. And often times it actually hurts performance as there is more unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

My S-Drive X1 came with 17" Goodyear Eagle RFTs and I did not find them to be particularly harsh in terms of the ride. When I switched them out last winter for Blizzak Snows, which are non-RFTs, I expected the ride to be softer with less impact over the expansion joints. I was surprised to find that there was very little if any improvement in the softness of the ride, which as I previously stated was acceptable, but not in the Lexus camp.

When I switched back to the Goodyear RFTs this spring I again noted no particular increase in the harshness of the ride. I only offer this observation as part of the ongoing discussion of RFTs and like the prior post, agree that these experiments are expensive and the more input from others the better in terms of deciding what to do.

I for one do not care to lug around a compressor or donut because of already limited cargo room in the X1.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

The compressor fills the little cubby on the left. Not much to lug.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
MNTim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I have a sport line and I find the ride very well balanced. I have my tyre pressure all round on the front spec though. I find the rear too lose/bumpy if I fill it to spec.
I've experimented with the tire pressures quite a bit. Agreed, lowering the rear pressure helps, but I still find the ride jarring on rough roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I test drove both the x-line (18s) and the no line (17s) and found the 17s to give a MUCH better ride quality, so I passed on the different lines and went with the no line version as the roads here in the Northeast are pretty terrible quality. For someone who lives down south or in an area where the roads are pretty smooth, this may not be as big of an issue and the 18s probably would be fine.

Keep in mind that the larger wheel/tire size does not really do much to improve handling and is mostly just for looks. And often times it actually hurts performance as there is more unsprung weight.
Agreed, it comes down to the quality of the roads you drive. Apparently the roads near the dealership where I did the the test-driving are a lot smoother than the roads I normally drive. I should have given that more consideration.

Maybe I was a little too negative in my post; I do like the X1 sport line ride quality when the roads are smooth, but on rough roads (which is often the case here in the Minneapolis area), not so much. The X1 is just a lot rougher than the 3-series cars I've owned (5 of them). Then again, none of them had 18" RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
There are All Season and Performance Summer Pirelli P7's.

Which do you have? Your description sounds like all season which are no fun on any car.

My P7 Performance are the best I've ever had on any car until I buy Michelin PSS next time.

Yes, on hard bumps it's kinda firm, but I wanted firm, and on smooth pavement perfection.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
The compressor fills the little cubby on the left. Not much to lug.
I still have the original 12v compressor/can of fix-a-flat kit that came with my '02 ZO6. Very compact, and light.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

I had the all season
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #18
MNTim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bit the bullet, ditched the RFTs, and love the result. Ended up going with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 based on Tirerack reviews and other factors. Wow what a difference. Yes, the ride is a bit more floaty, but I'm willing to accept that versus bracing for every bump in the road. And with winter on the way, I was not looking forward to an even more jarring ride with the RFTs (those stiff sidewalls get even stiffer in the cold). I understand the virtues many see in runflats, I'm just not willing to live with a crappy ride day in day out for the outside chance of having a blowout someday. In my experience, slow leaks are much more common than outright blowouts (never had one). YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

Our stock tires are not just run-flat, they are also low resistant. It sacrifices traction for some marginal fuel economy gain. Even with very solid feels from the brake, the car never stops in a desirable distance....one reason, these tires suck. Changing to a set conventional summer rubber will instantly improve braking distance.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I've carried the BMW mobility kit in the car. I bought it when I ditched the RFT's on my Z4. It has the compressor, slime and plugs in case of a puncture. It fits perfectly in the left cubby and takes up very little room.
      09-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTim View Post
Bit the bullet, ditched the RFTs, and love the result. Ended up going with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 based on Tirerack reviews and other factors. Wow what a difference. Yes, the ride is a bit more floaty, but I'm willing to accept that versus bracing for every bump in the road. And with winter on the way, I was not looking forward to an even more jarring ride with the RFTs (those stiff sidewalls get even stiffer in the cold). I understand the virtues many see in runflats, I'm just not willing to live with a crappy ride day in day out for the outside chance of having a blowout someday. In my experience, slow leaks are much more common than outright blowouts (never had one). YMMV.
I had the MXM4s on a previous vehicle, and I think you made a good choice. They also lasted a long time.
Appreciate 0