12-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Xenon Headlight Washer Jets

Hi everyone

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

I have a Xenon lights on my 2.0D xDrive and to be honest I've never paid any attention to the headlight washer jets functioning.

Over here in the UK we've had a bit of a cold spell and one night noticed one of the washer jets had popped up and wouldn't go back in. in the morning that one had gone down fully again but he other one had popped up. Amuzed me anyway! Then when the weather warmed up they had both gone back down into their normal position. I have read on the net that this is a common problem on BMW range the mechanism in cold weather forces the jets up and sometimes causes the cover to snap. Luckily mine hasn't snapped anything.

This intrigued me and I decided to check they were working. I asked my wife to start the car, turn on the lights and activate the windscreen washers. The headlight washer never popped up or anything. Now we probably didn't hold the windscreen washers on long enough. How long do you need to spray the windscreen to get the headlight washers to spring to life?

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Nozzles should pop up every 5th windscreen wash. I might be wrong but something like that. That's the case in VW, Mercs pop up every 10th. Nozzles don't have an electric mechanism, they pop up with the help of high pressure water and a strong spring forces them to go back to its original position. Maybe the springs malfunctioned because of the cold weather or they froze because of the water.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
Nozzles should pop up every 5th windscreen wash. I might be wrong but something like that. That's the case in VW, Mercs pop up every 10th. Nozzles don't have an electric mechanism, they pop up with the help of high pressure water and a strong spring forces them to go back to its original position. Maybe the springs malfunctioned because of the cold weather or they froze because of the water.
I have used my X1 a lot in the freezing weather up here this last month and have not had any freezing problems yet. The only thing that I do to all my cars is start using a good quality anti-freeze screen wash, undiluted, from about November through to March. In the summer months I use a 1:4 mix.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Thanks everyone. I've tried the washers last night and they are working which is good. I've also put neat anti-freeze screen wash in too, so hopefully the problem won't manifest again if we get hit by a cold spell.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
Konstantinos80
Rep
Drives: X1soon

I was told that the xenon light washers appear at the beginning of each time you turn the lights on so as to clean the glass at the front sot hat it does not overheat.
Is this true? I just ordered the X1 today with the Xenon lights and washers

thanks '

Konstantinos
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos80 View Post
I was told that the xenon light washers appear at the beginning of each time you turn the lights on so as to clean the glass at the front sot hat it does not overheat.
Is this true? I just ordered the X1 today with the Xenon lights and washers

thanks '

Konstantinos
Hi Konstantinos, no does not do it with my car. They only do the wash the first time I clean the front window and then every 5 or so cycles thereafter. Xenons are actually very cold, thats why they have washer jets by law here to wash off snow. Halogens run hot and melt the snow which is why the jets are not required.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0