XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

05-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

35i: Transfer Case Support Removal?

Hello everyone - long time lurker, first time poster. I've run into a problem trying to change the 6AT transmission fluid/pan, so I'm turning to the collective wisdom of the board in hopes of a little help...

On the 35i, does anyone know how to remove the long bolt in the transfer case support bracket? Its part #4 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=22_0121

It hits the transmission as I try to back it out (see attached pics). With the support bracket in place, it makes it very difficult to reach the transmission fill plug. I can get the plug out with the bracket in place, but trying to put it back in while the engine is running, fluid is coming out, and the fluid temp is quickly rising beyond the 40C cutoff has proved to be extremely frustrating.

Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Push up on the transfer case, should be enough to angle it down.
The bolt is out, just the rubber bits your fighting with right?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I tried pushing the transfer case up and the bolt head went up with it - it didn't start angling down, but I'll give it another go. The bolt is about half way out, but still has to get past the big rubber grommet thing and the last metal hole. It looks like the transmission/transfer case/ support bracket were assembled together, then installed as one at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
I think kiloTHREE's right. Does the threaded bolt end clear the bracket hole on the bolt side? If so, you should be able to flex that bushing enough to get some angle on the bolt to clear the trans case. Use prybars that suit the situation well, and be careful what you pry on, but you should be able to get that bushing to deflect enough to get the bolt out. Push the case up and pry the bolt down.
      05-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep

I wound up getting some more ATF fluid from the dealer, and after a lot of colorful language and perseverance while blindly finger-wrestling the plug, I got it to go. What a huge messy pain in the ass! I just couldn't get any significant angle on the bolt either lowering or pushing up with the jack. Tried a small prybar and got to the point where I was using more force that I was comfortable with, without seeing much result. Anyway, next time I may well just cut the bolt and replace it with a threaded rod and use two nuts and a washer to replace the "head" end - that way the fasteners can be removed from both ends and the rod could be removed in the other direction - towards the exhaust.

Thanks for the input everybody - glad to finally be a member of the board.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I guess the ZF 8speed is a bit different. From the various internet sources, I don't recall having to remove the T-case brace. That being said, BMW sure doesn't make things easy for DIYers. Hence lifetime fluids.....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 8 speed is different. I hope to keep the car running strong for way past 100k, so I've been pretty aggressive with the preventative maintenance (basically following the Mike Miller maintenance schedule). I believe my idea of "lifetime" is significantly longer than BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

I don't remember having any of these problems when doing the transfer case and ATF in my 35i X1. Just gotta keep removing stuff until you're in the clear. :-) In fact, I think I dropped the whole assembly and the bracket as one, keeping the transmission supported by a jack.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
I think kiloTHREE's right. Does the threaded bolt end clear the bracket hole on the bolt side? If so, you should be able to flex that bushing enough to get some angle on the bolt to clear the trans case. Use prybars that suit the situation well, and be careful what you pry on, but you should be able to get that bushing to deflect enough to get the bolt out. Push the case up and pry the bolt down.
we did this with hercules and the rubber will flex it will come out and the battle to put it back also ,done deal
Appreciate 0