02-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Heavy Steering

Hi All
Is it just me or is the steering on the X1 quite heavy, I will get used to it in time.
And there is an annoying rattle that comes from the passengers dash area when cold, but disappears when the car heats up, any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Hi there, there is another post about the heavy steering, search for it. If you didnīt choose the Servotronic, you have to live with it...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Hi there, there is another post about the heavy steering, search for it. If you didnīt choose the Servotronic, you have to live with it...
I've just taken delivery of my X1 and I would make a similar observation to the OP that the steering is heavy.

Now you mention Servotronic, however on the UK spec model I ordered, in NONE of the options was this either offered or mentioned. I made the (perhaps foolish) assumption that a car of this size would automaticallly come with advanced power steering.

Is this not the case then, even on UK versions? If so, I'm a bit peeved as neither the dealer, the brochure or the online config tool mention this option anywhere.

I would definitely have asked for it if I had known - I also suppose it can't be retrofitted by the dealer?

Coming from a Renault that I could steer with one finger, this is a bit of a change I have to say!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I know what you mean - I have a Mk1 Focus and its steering and gearbox are finger light. It's ok - I don't mind my arms getting a workout.

If I'm correct I don't think Servotronic is available on any of the '18' models, in some countries anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I know what you mean - I have a Mk1 Focus and its steering and gearbox are finger light. It's ok - I don't mind my arms getting a workout.

If I'm correct I don't think Servotronic is available on any of the '18' models, in some countries anyway.
Mine's a 20d XDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
I've just taken delivery of my X1 and I would make a similar observation to the OP that the steering is heavy.

Now you mention Servotronic, however on the UK spec model I ordered, in NONE of the options was this either offered or mentioned

Same here... It never showed as a choice susceptible to be made when we ordered the X1. And it seems to be there as the steering is fairly light.
      02-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Hi All
Is it just me or is the steering on the X1 quite heavy, I will get used to it in time.
And there is an annoying rattle that comes from the passengers dash area when cold, but disappears when the car heats up, any suggestions
If you feel that the steering is way too heavy I'd bring it back to the dealer. I have heard of an x1 having had to have it's steering rack replaced due to the steering ending up being impossible to turn.

As for the annoying rattle I had that during the summer when it was really warm but it has disappeared with the cold weather am hoping if there is a problem it will come back this summer so I can get it sorted before the warranty runs out (two years in Ireland).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

In Germany the Servotronic is available for all xDrive models. I also heard that the steering with xDrive and without Servotronic is a bit heavy.

Regarding the rattling noise at low temperatures I don't know if we are talking about the same issue, but in German forums some people had similar problems (they described it more as a "cracking noise" when they drive over heavy bumps). Some say that this problem can be solved by putting some kind of felt behind the cover of the a-pillar. They also say that this noise usually comes from two areas: 1. where the a-pillar connects to the dashboard and 2. the area around the center air vents
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Thanks nockenpaul sounds like the issue I had noise could be coming from either area but at least I know there are others with the same problem
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Hi All
Hi William, All UK X1s come with power steering as standard. When you say heavy what are you comparing it to. My X1 is about the same as my recent Golf I would say. If yours is overly heavy, take it back to the dealer for a check.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
In Germany the Servotronic is available for all xDrive models. I also heard that the steering with xDrive and without Servotronic is a bit heavy.

Regarding the rattling noise at low temperatures I don't know if we are talking about the same issue, but in German forums some people had similar problems (they described it more as a "cracking noise" when they drive over heavy bumps). Some say that this problem can be solved by putting some kind of felt behind the cover of the a-pillar. They also say that this noise usually comes from two areas: 1. where the a-pillar connects to the dashboard and 2. the area around the center air vents
It's slightly appalling for a BMW.
      02-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

My car is coming tomorrow from Germany (20d xDrive autom) I did not order the servotronic either now a bit worried that it was a mistake. Dealer said it is for "ladies" to help parking.
Too late! Hope it is not that big mistake. (I might gain some muscles after the Polski Fiat 126 - my first car back in '97 -, it can not be that bad)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #13
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
My car is coming tomorrow from Germany (20d xDrive autom) I did not order the servotronic either now a bit worried that it was a mistake. Dealer said it is for "ladies" to help parking.
Too late! Hope it is not that big mistake. (I might gain some muscles after the Polski Fiat 126 - my first car back in '97 -, it can not be that bad)

Fiat Polski ?
!! It takes a shitload of self-confidence to drive that !! You cool man !
      02-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Your dealer has a good sense of humour. Which is why I've ordered an Auto - it's ok if my arms get a workout - and will mitigate any undue laughter towards myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Fiat Polski ?
!! It takes a shitload of self-confidence to drive that !! You cool man !
Thanks (a cool lady )
At that time the other option was Trabant I think, so Polski fiat was our better car (I'm not Dutch).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #16
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Your dealer has a good sense of humour. Which is why I've ordered an Auto - it's ok if my arms get a workout - and will mitigate any undue laughter towards myself.
Yes I did not want to look like a blonde so I skipped the servotronic option
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Thanks (a cool lady )
At that time the other option was Trabant I think, so Polski fiat was our better car (I'm not Dutch).
Lady ? Ooops... apologies. Your user ID certainly did not betray your gender !
      02-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Quote:
Lady ? Ooops... apologies. Your user ID certainly did not betray your gender !
No problem
I know, I was not advertising it
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
No problem
I know, I was not advertising it
Welcome here, it's good to have a lady contributing
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I suppose I'll have to behave myself from now on...
      02-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post

Thanks Mario
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #22
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Quote:
I suppose I'll have to behave myself from now on...
Hehe I'm not your wife so don't worry
Appreciate 0