Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

BMW Mudflaps

Does anyone have any pics or experience with the OEM mudflaps for the X1? I am thinking of ordering a full set of 4 to protect my X1 from the winter grit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

We saw them on the test car at the dealers - proper moulded rubber sill protectors (not really 'flaps') - about £35 I believe and I'm considering getting a set as well.
      06-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyresoft View Post
We saw them on the test car at the dealers - proper moulded rubber sill protectors (not really 'flaps') - about £35 I believe and I'm considering getting a set as well.
Thanks wyresoft. I have also decided to get them as both my other cars have wee chips from the winter grit. I plan to take my X1 up to the snowfields a lot this winter
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Just fitted a rear set [£35 each axle] they go on really well ,the test car we drove had a full set on ,didn't think they were very effective at the time but without them the rear door/bumper/window gets really dirty, will fit a front set soon,if you ask at the dealers they will print you out a set of fitting instructions

Bob
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
pwceg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

MUDFLAPS

Well i have all 4 mudflaps of the car and it changes the profile to a lower sitting car.it blends well with the black trim
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwceg View Post
Well i have all 4 mudflaps of the car and it changes the profile to a lower sitting car.it blends well with the black trim
Photo please!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
pereru
Spanish Member
Rep

I read on another forum about a user that installed it on his E84 because he did not want to see how soiled the back of his car and says it does not work. The car has still soiling

Salu2
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
pwceg
Rep

mudflaps

Have a look on my profile the cars there
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwceg View Post
Have a look on my profile the cars there
Thanks pwceg, mudflaps do look great (great car as well )

Definitely something to add to the accessories list for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

As an alternative to mudflaps does anyone have any experience of using clear protective film that can be applied to the paintwork?

I'm interested in protecting the front of the car as well as the mudflap areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohans View Post
As an alternative to mudflaps does anyone have any experience of using clear protective film that can be applied to the paintwork?

I'm interested in protecting the front of the car as well as the mudflap areas.
Had some clear plastic film bits on an Audi Quattro that I owned - needed on areas of the car that were vulnerable due to the design..... it was more like the front of the rear arches and areas like that.
      04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Driven2Drive
Rep
Drives: X1

Mud Flap Installation Instructions

I was unable to find the installation instructions so here are the instructions that the BMW parts department sent me. Hope it helps someone else. I wanted to add it to the DIY posting, but I just joined and am unable to create a new posting yet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X1 MUD FLAPS INSTALL.pdf (1.28 MB, 3494 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven2Drive View Post
I was unable to find the installation instructions so here are the instructions that the BMW parts department sent me. Hope it helps someone else. I wanted to add it to the DIY posting, but I just joined and am unable to create a new posting yet.
Thanks Driven2Drive, very helpful; i'll plan to do this myself too. However, I must say that IKEA makes better instructions. I **think** that it means to partially remove the red tape (protective covering of double-sided sticky tape?) and then pull the rest off once the flap is positioned correctly. But I wonder if a bit of extra silicone caulking might help keep corrosive salt spray from collecting between the flap and fender? Input from anyone who has done the installation?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereru View Post
I read on another forum about a user that installed it on his E84 because he did not want to see how soiled the back of his car and says it does not work. The car has still soiling

Salu2
This is exactly the reason I wanted to get mud flaps but held off. The dirt collected on top of the rear bumper during winter time is at least 10x worse than rest of the car. I am not sure if it's from not having rear mud flaps or from using the rear wiper which pushing all the window dirt down. I hope someone can confirm on this matter if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Driven2Drive
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123

Thanks Driven2Drive, very helpful; i'll plan to do this myself too. However, I must say that IKEA makes better instructions. I **think** that it means to partially remove the red tape (protective covering of double-sided sticky tape?) and then pull the rest off once the flap is positioned correctly. But I wonder if a bit of extra silicone caulking might help keep corrosive salt spray from collecting between the flap and fender? Input from anyone who has done the installation?
The red is the plastic covering on the double sided tape that helps hold the flap flush with the fender and lower bumper. I only did this on the driver rear side due to it possibly needing to be remover in order to remove one of the covers. Putting silicon would help with sealing the joint, but I am not sure it is necessary. Probably would not hurt unless there is a reaction between the silicon and the plastic or paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
lozw
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport, 118 coupe Sport

FYI, it says the official BMW X1 mudflaps are not compatible with my M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
This is exactly the reason I wanted to get mud flaps but held off. The dirt collected on top of the rear bumper during winter time is at least 10x worse than rest of the car. I am not sure if it's from not having rear mud flaps or from using the rear wiper which pushing all the window dirt down. I hope someone can confirm on this matter if possible.
I have installed them as soon as possible. I am very happy with these mudflaps.
The back is not more soiled than without, this is a lie. Can still be soiled? What do you expect? Do they hang to the ground level? No. So?
Also, depends on your tires and theri profile, especialy in the winter.
Nonetheless, the front wheels are throwing water and dirt in the back too. That's what cars do when you drive in the rain. It is not only the rear tires. It is called aerodinamics. And it is a hatchback, it is a different design, it is more exposed, that's why you have a wiper with washer in the back. Some people buy their first hatchback and start talking non-sense due to their lack fo knowledge.
The person that says that with them it is the same like without them, lacks the technical common sense.

I have them and I can see how my 2012 X1 that manage two winters, looks in comparaison with a 2013 X1 without mud flaps. Mine has no rock chips on the silver paint, doors, nor in the black plastic that is around the wheel. The car loks like in the first day.
During the winter, I stop in front of the garage and with the brush I am pulling down all the snow that accumulates on them. I have seen the X1 without them and they have snow everywhere. True, even with them, you still get accumulated snow on the base of the vehicle but is no different than any other car. Plus, X1 has a different ground level, don't forget.
Also, they protect the bodyside of the vehicle, the wheel doesn't splash everywhere, including the mirrors.
What some people don't get is that they protect from snow, water, rocks, black asphalt spots from the hot road.
When you drive in the rain, have a look at the vehicle beside you and see the amount of water that wheels throw on the vehicle's body. Than think about the water, snow and the salt-water-snow combination that is thrown to your car. You will be convinced then.
Nobody seen how cars without mud flaps rusted on the front door?

If you live in an area that gets snow, salt and rocks on the road, then better install them if you love your car. They worth every penny.

PS
You don't need silicon. They are moulded around the vehicle and they look perfect.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-25-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
GreatStarSe7en
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I have installed them as soon as possible. I am very happy with these mudflaps.
The back is not more soiled than without, this is a lie. Can still be soiled? What do you expect? Do they hang to the ground level? No. So?
Also, depends on your tires and theri profile, especialy in the winter.
Nonetheless, the front wheels are throwing water and dirt in the back too. That's what cars do when you drive in the rain. It is not only the rear tires. It is called aerodinamics. And it is a hatchback, it is a different design, it is more exposed, that's why you have a wiper with washer in the back. Some people buy their first hatchback and start talking non-sense due to their lack fo knowledge.
The person that says that with them it is the same like without them, lacks the technical common sense.

I have them and I can see how my 2012 X1 that manage two winters, looks in comparaison with a 2013 X1 without mud flaps. Mine has no rock chips on the silver paint, doors, nor in the black plastic that is around the wheel. The car loks like in the first day.
During the winter, I stop in front of the garage and with the brush I am pulling down all the snow that accumulates on them. I have seen the X1 without them and they have snow everywhere. True, even with them, you still get accumulated snow on the base of the vehicle but is no different than any other car. Plus, X1 has a different ground level, don't forget.
Also, they protect the bodyside of the vehicle, the wheel doesn't splash everywhere, including the mirrors.
What some people don't get is that they protect from snow, water, rocks, black asphalt spots from the hot road.
When you drive in the rain, have a look at the vehicle beside you and see the amount of water that wheels throw on the vehicle's body. Than think about the water, snow and the salt-water-snow combination that is thrown to your car. You will be convinced then.
Nobody seen how cars without mud flaps rusted on the front door?

If you live in an area that gets snow, salt and rocks on the road, then better install them if you love your car. They worth every penny.

PS
You don't need silicon. They are moulded around the vehicle and they look perfect.
really helpful review of the mud flaps, I just ordered after reading this.
One question though, does it require drilling holes in the fender or all you have to do is tighten the screws?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine were installed by the dealer so I don't have the DIY guide. From what I have seen you don't need to drill any hole in the vehicle's body. You might need to make one litle hole in the plastic that covers the wheel well, however, I might be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
abwmma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1x

I did mine 2 months ago. You need to drill (2) 3 mm holes at the plastic trim one on each side of the vehicle. You also need a long punch to help to push in the plugs ( see picture 5). You may need extra room to that, but I have mine on a lift. It took 45 min. for the front and rear installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Had mine done last Friday. Not the best cell phone pic on a cloudy day, and a bit harder to see on black.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
GreatStarSe7en
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Had mine done last Friday. Not the best cell phone pic on a cloudy day, and a bit harder to see on black.

match the body perfectly~~
Appreciate 0