XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
BMW_Viking
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0xdrive 2010

Kufatec Fistune DAB module installed

I ordered a Kufatec Fistune radio DAB-module and had it installed by my local repair shop today. (For the E84 X1 with CIC Business infotainment system the module is serial no. KUF40149.)

Indeed the DAB radio now works, but the shop had to use the slot for the CD changer for the installation. So that is now disabled. Hence, I have to push the CD button now to listen to the radio.

The radio module organizes the radio stations by an autotune function only. You will have no selection or ability to organize and store your favourite radio stations. Moreover as the stations are stored in a number of directories you may have to go in and out of these to select between stations. I find this a little user-unfriendly and cumbersome.

Well the car now has a DAB-radio and that was the objective. Has anyone else solved these issues differently or more smoothly I would appreciate comments.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

OK, I'll bite...what's a DAB module?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
BMW_Viking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
OK, I'll bite...what's a DAB module?
DAB is the new digital audio broadcasting system that will replace FM. Countries have different timeline strategies for this. So this is just a radio module that combined with an antenna will give you digital radio reception wherever possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 M135i

When the US went from analog to digital TV service a few years ago, The FCC required that A-to-D converters were made available to the public. The convertors were cheap and you could still change the channel from your TV. I don't see why the same couldn't be done for radio. We already have better convertors. think a $20 Bluetooth convertor that transmits a FM signal your radio can pick, except what we would need would plug inline with the antenna wire.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
BMW_Viking
Rep

An analog to digital converter will only solve internal issues in the car. Remember, the weakness of the FM signal is its noise and multipath fading. In particular when we talk about a mobile unit (a car) a digital signal will have superior quality. I am a keen user of DAB radio channels and the sound quality is CD level.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

All radio content in my area sucks, so I only listen to music on a memory stick. I do listen to Bob and Tom driving to work. (comedy show)
Appreciate 0